The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Most influential invention in history (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Rick Holcombe
View Profile
Special user
528 Posts

Profile of Rick Holcombe
OK I have a new one.

The camera
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27145 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On Oct 28, 2014, Rick Holcombe wrote:
[...Was agriculture really an invention, or just a shift in the way we gathered food?

it's the difference between nomadic life and having cities.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5833 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
On Oct 28, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
The brassiere.

You *******!
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5833 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
On Oct 28, 2014, Rick Holcombe wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 28, 2014, stoneunhinged wrote:
Everyone ignores me, as usual.

What changed the direction of life for homo sapiens sapiens?

Agriculture.

The internal combustion engine.

Stuff like that.

My personal choice might be something like the Marshall amplifier, but that would be disingenuous.

I kind of see agriculture like mathematics. Man took something that is occurring naturally and put it in order/organization. Although we merely invented the system, what actually happened is we discovered ways to sustain life. Was agriculture really an invention, or just a shift in the way we gathered food?
Using that logic, music is just the adaptation of nature's beats and harmonies, so it's as much a discovery and adaptation, not invention, as anything else.

BTW I don't believe that for a second.
Rick Holcombe
View Profile
Special user
528 Posts

Profile of Rick Holcombe
Well.. we invented GOOD music
Rick Holcombe
View Profile
Special user
528 Posts

Profile of Rick Holcombe
Indoor plumbing and air conditioning should rank pretty high too
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5833 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Nope, let me poop in the woods and sleep out under the stars!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27145 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Mathematics went away from base description and calculation by the time irrrational numbers were accepted and Plato's Republic and its allegories of the sun, divided line and cave were understood.

The camera may have been an artists tool to use light to put an image on the canvas ready to color
...to all the coins I've dropped here
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16248 Posts

Profile of tommy
Man made global warming.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Rick Holcombe
View Profile
Special user
528 Posts

Profile of Rick Holcombe
I contest. Mathematics is an invention.

When I stew upon the word itself I think an invention, whether an object or a process: like mathematics or agriculture or music, is used to create a product.

So, all these are hugely significant in our evolution, but what one thing was most influential? Why?
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
The computer coupled with the Internet. Because without it we would not be having this discussion. Smile
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9051 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On Oct 29, 2014, acesover wrote:
The computer coupled with the Internet. Because without it we would not be having this discussion. Smile

naaaa ..

the real invention here is the ability to morph any thread intent into something else.

Self-dilusion may be part of human nature, but the idea that by posting it on the Internet it becomes fact is an invention

just funnin' I am as guilty as anyone of inventing memories to suit the situation. Oops, neurobiologics say that is a natural process.

"all inventions are gifts of aliens anyway. Humans only corrupt them." or did I just make that up?
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On Oct 29, 2014, Tom Cutts wrote:
Nope, let me poop in the woods...

Careful. That's probably how agriculture started.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Gunpowder.
HudsonView
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of HudsonView
I see a difference between "influencial" and "important". While the printing press might have been one of the most important inventions, I don't see it as the most influential, i.e, it's invention led to similar inventions, or its invention influenced the design of other products.

For that, I'd have to say, that without question, the most influential invention in history was the Altair 8800 personal computer, which launched the personal computer revolution.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16248 Posts

Profile of tommy
Driven by its duty to use new technology to enable mankind’s potential the god of technology demands the sacrifice of old technology.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Most of the, most influencial inventions are on Infomercials. Smile Just think about it. your hoses goes from small to big and back to small again and never tangles, your clothes come out clean no matter what stain is in them, sweepers pick up all the dirt, dust and pollen and you never sneeze again, you put a cloth of some kind on your rug and it picks up all the stains in your carpet, you put a thingy on your door and it keeps out the cold and you cut your heating bills in half...probably have to turn your air on in the winter...having said all that, television is a pretty important invention.

So my vote for most important invention that affected everyone can be seen by watching infomercials and just pick out the one that influenced you the most and there you have it. No one invention for everyone but with all those infomercials I am sure one is for you. BUT WAIT...IF YOU ORDER NOW WE INCLUDE SHIPPING AND GIVE YOU ANOTHER ONE...YES TWO FOR THE PRICE OF ONE PLUS FREE SHIPPING.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Rick Holcombe
View Profile
Special user
528 Posts

Profile of Rick Holcombe
What about the clock? Or Calendars?
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Calendars were essential to the development of agriculture. Clocks not so much.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16248 Posts

Profile of tommy
Has anybody mentioned money?

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Most influential invention in history (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL