The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What is the best live show you have seen? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20539 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I don't care if it is a rock concert (Though Lobo and the best rock album inspired this thought.) or what not.

I was fortunate. When I was a cop I worked in the town just outside Chicago that held the arena all the national touring acts played. So my passion for live entertainment turned into a way to get paid overtime to watch from the best places imaginable in the Arena, and watch set up and sound checks.

But before that I have seen concerts from small 500 seat arenas like The Aragon Ballroom in Chicago. I actually saw Stevie Ray Vaughan, Santanna, and dozens of others. I saw U2 just before they became an arena act. Then the Joshua Tree tour and it was an interesting contrast.

I have seen ZZ TOPP which is an amazing show. Rush absolutely rocked also.

Some of the most fun were at places were a place like The Brat Stop in Wisconsin where bands like Cheap Trick would actually start.

The Arie Crown theater in Chicago was a killer place to see Roger Waters sing Radio Chaos.

So my list is fairly concert heavy, though in include Phantom at The Venetian as an amazing show as well. What is on your list?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Rick Holcombe
View Profile
Special user
528 Posts

Profile of Rick Holcombe
Though not a big fan... KORN

Back in 1996 I was at Lollapalooza in Raleigh at the Amphitheatre which has a sizeable lawn section. I was fortunate to have good seats, but unfortunate for what followed. As their set went on the crowd in the grass erupted into a menacing, swirling pool of teenage hormones and angst. Suddenly a rain shower of square foot chunks of sod came soaring into the seats and up into the air. The energy actually grew on me and I was well primed for my favorite band which followed, TOOL, who took the momentum and gave the most polished and impressive shows I've seen.
spatlind
View Profile
Special user
still moving
863 Posts

Profile of spatlind
Probably won't mean a lot to many but...

Blur at the Olympia, Dublin - about 1800 people
Underworld at the SFX Dublin - about 1000
Orbital at some venue in Philadelphia - don't remember
U2 at Slane
Actions lie louder than words - Carolyn Wells

I believe in God, only I spell it Nature - Frank Lloyd Wright.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
"The Magic Show" on Broadway with Doug Henning.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5827 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
For different reasons, KA, Slava's Snow Show, and The Tubes New Year's Eve 1981.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16236 Posts

Profile of tommy
I guess the best was my first outing to night club because it was a new world to me. God knows who was playing but the were great.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Queensryche/Metallica was an outstanding live show from top to bottom. Black Sabbath, KISS, and Styx were all outstanding live. Unfortunately, I've never seen some of my favorite bands whom I've heard are great live -Rush, The Who, Pink Floyd, and by all accounts, Triumph.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20539 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Triumph was great live.

You can still see 1/2 of The Who live and they still bring it.

Pink Floyd was one of those bands that is killer in an outdoor arena. Seeing them contained inside somehow made them smaller. It was funny watching Gilmour singing Run Like Hell with the skyrockets going off, hitting the ceiling and landing around his feet.

One band that really was fun live was Jethro Tull.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
slowkneenuh
View Profile
Regular user
After 5,278+ posts, only credited with
132 Posts

Profile of slowkneenuh
The best:

Elton John, Wembley Stadium, London (Billy Joel was also scheduled to perform but took sick). Elton more than made up for Joel's absence.

Andrew Lloyd Webber's Birthday Celebration at The Royal Albert Hall in London.

Jerry Lewis, David Copperfield, and Siegfried and Roy in Las Vegas.

I love good musicals and see the ones I really enjoy repeatedly.

Phantom Of The Opera at Her Majesty's Theatre in London, Venetian in Las Vegas, and Broadway in New York.

Les Miserables at Palace Theatre in London.

The worst:

Cher at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas. (Late arrival, insulted audience, 50% of the performance time was spent changing costumes.)
John

"A poor workman always blames his tools"
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11159 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
For rock concerts:

Although simple, Jethro Tull had the most artistic and intelligent opening and closing I've ever seen.

Yes had the most spectacular show. It was quite like living in one of their Roger Dean album covers.

Trans Siberian Orchestra has a pretty amazing show, too.

For magic shows:

As Bob mentioned, "The Magic Show" at the Cort Theater with Doug Henning was great.

Blackstone Jr's full show was outstanding.

Other:

Stomp was a lot of fun.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
gypsyfish
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of gypsyfish
Harry Chapin at the Starlight Theater in Kansas City, Mo. in 1980. He sang every song I wanted to hear, the concert lasted more than two hours and the only reason he stopped was he had another performance after the early show. It was a great experience.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
David Copperfield's. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Jack Straw
View Profile
Special user
Wichita
992 Posts

Profile of Jack Straw
The Grateful Dead, The Band, and The Allman Brothers Band at Watkins Glen, NY in the summer of 1973.

There had to be over 10 hours of music played that day by 3 top bands.

By the time it was over, we were cold.

We were wet (it rained).

We were hungry.

We were thirsty.

We were exhausted.

We walked through the night trying to find our car, which we left by the side of the road the day before. We finally got some sleep by the side of the road, but still no car.

Some time the next day, a local cabbie spotted us and offered his help in finding our car. A friend and I got in (leaving our other friends by the side of the road) as we joined some others who also couldn't find their car.

They found theirs first.

I'll swear we were in that cab for more than 5 hours.

We finally found our car.

The cabbie said that if we told him we were parked there he never would have believed us. That's how far away we parked.

We didn't have enough money between the 6 of us to pay his fare. He gave us his address, and we promised to send him the money.

We never did.

I regret that to this day. I didn't regret it then, but I do now.

When I finally got my girlfriend home some 2 1/2 days after we left to go to the concert, her father grabbed me around the neck and threatened to kill me.

My parents weren't too happy about it either.

It was one of the best times that I ever had in my life!
Jack Straw from Wichita, cut his buddy down
And dug for him a shallow grave, and laid his body down
Half a mile from Tucson, by the morning light
One man gone and another to go, my old buddy you're moving much too slow
We can share the women, we can share the wine
HudsonView
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of HudsonView
I was at Watkins Glen as well Jack and remember the rain well. I was hitchiking and it was murder getting out of there.

My favorite concert was my first: Janis Joplin, B.B. King, Santana and Joe Cocker at the 3rd quaker city rock festival. 1969.
silvercup
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of silvercup
Moody Blues @ Pacific Amphitheatre 2008
Dizzy Gillespie @ The Caravan of Dreams '91/'92?
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Three Dog Night in Atlanta, 1968.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
BB King always put on a first-rate show. Pure Vegas with a healthy dollop of remembering who you are and where you came from.

I was lucky to catch John Lee Hooker in a small local club in the 80s, just before blues launched back into the public eye.

At a campus welcome week (1984?) the big outdoor stage featured a young woman singing country like it was gospel, and dancing miles and miles in her cowboy boots and funny skirt. She sang unlike anyone I had ever heard before. A few months later I heard her on the radio and learned that her name was kd lang. Great memories.

For a different kind of experience, I saw U2 on their PopMart tour. The best part of the whole show was the feeling of unity in the audience--it was like a religious revival. Holy humanity that felt great.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11159 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I saw Count Basie in Birmingham, AL. I knew Cleve Eaton, who was Basie's stand-up bass player. Cleve's wife, Myra was one of my booking agents when I lived there.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
HudsonView
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of HudsonView
Seeing Tom Waits in New York in 1987, 8th row center at the Eugene O'neil theater was pretty amazing as well.
silvercup
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of silvercup
How could I forget (?) Maynard Ferguson @ Bass Hall 2005
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What is the best live show you have seen? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL