The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What is the best live show you have seen? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
ArchMiro
View Profile
New user
Fort Collins, Colorado
59 Posts

Profile of ArchMiro
Any RUSH concert. 3 people putting out that much high-quality sound... Absolutely fantastic.
That and Chuck Berry live at Blueberry Hill in St. Louis.
Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

Profile of Daryl -the other brother
When I was about 10 yrs. old, I saw the local high school production of "Brigadoon". It was the first play I had ever seen and it was pure magic.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5019 Posts

Profile of landmark
The original brilliant production of Cabaret staged by Harold Prince.
Equus with Anthony Hopkins
Hamlet with Nicol Williamson
The Phil Ochs concert at Hunter College circa 1971
The play Master Class with Irene Glezos performed at a small theatre in Phoenicia NY
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Landmark-

I agree with you on Phil Ochs. I saw him at Montclair State College around 1968.
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
750 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
August the something or other, 1979, Knebworth, England.
The best band in the world, playing to a couple of hundred thousand, and me... A cider driven kid, just two months shy of his sixteenth birthday.
I can't remember a lot of it, they weren't the best sounding band I've seen, but it was the best ***ed gig I ever attended.
Led Zeppelin.
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11159 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On Oct 28, 2014, Ray Tupper. wrote:
August the something or other, 1979, Knebworth, England.
The best band in the world, playing to a couple of hundred thousand, and me... A cider driven kid, just two months shy of his sixteenth birthday.
I can't remember a lot of it, they weren't the best sounding band I've seen, but it was the best ***ed gig I ever attended.
Led Zeppelin.

I saw Zepplin in '77 in Birmingham, AL. Epic for sure, and they are my favorite band of all time. I thought listing them above would be too easy. Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6010 Posts

Profile of motown
Magic: Ricky Jay and his 52 Assistants

Broadway: City of Angels

Stand Up a Comedian: Louie Anderson, funny guy

Rock Concerts: Seger & Frampton in the mid 70's. Awesome
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5019 Posts

Profile of landmark
Ah, when you mentioned stand-up comedian that prompted me to remember that I saw Richard Pryor live. Wow. Incredible.

As for magicians, this guy below was pretty great. I posted a review in the Magic Café over a decade ago:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......=40067#0
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Surprisingly great local shows involving no one famous:

Caught Margaret Atwood's play The Penelopiad last year. Absolutely riveting. A brilliant production of a brilliant text.

Years ago I attended a graduate student recital of Arnold Schoenberg's Pierrot Lunaire. The soprano was fantastic both visually and vocally. Still gives me the chills to think about it.

Not local, but about 15 years ago I saw the Royal Winnipeg Ballet's production of Dracula. The music was all taken from Mahler's symphonies. The choreography was sublime, and the ballet ended breathtakingly with a version of the Impaled illusion, with Dracula meeting his end atop a giant cross.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Oct 29, 2014, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:

Caught Margaret Atwood's play The Penelopiad last year. Absolutely riveting. A brilliant production of a brilliant text.

Years ago I attended a graduate student recital of Arnold Schoenberg's Pierrot Lunaire. The soprano was fantastic both visually and vocally. Still gives me the chills to think about it.

Not local, but about 15 years ago I saw the Royal Winnipeg Ballet's production of Dracula. The music was all taken from Mahler's symphonies. The choreography was sublime, and the ballet ended breathtakingly with a version of the Impaled illusion, with Dracula meeting his end atop a giant cross.

On a totally unrelated note, I went to law school with Schoenberg's granddaughter, who is now a public defender in Los Angeles.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Quote:
On Oct 29, 2014, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:

On a totally unrelated note, I went to law school with Schoenberg's granddaughter, who is now a public defender in Los Angeles.

Cool. And I ended up working with the soprano's husband Smile
slowkneenuh
View Profile
Regular user
After 5,278+ posts, only credited with
132 Posts

Profile of slowkneenuh
The post by Magnus reminded me of an amusing conversation I had. In a previous post I mentioned that I was a huge fan of Andrew Lloyd Webber's musicals and in particular the Phantom of the Opera. I saw the Phantom several times while I was in London on assignment. During the latter part of the assignment I worked with a gentleman that played an instrument (I forget which one now) in the orchestra for the Phantom. As I would tell him of my excitement before and after each performance he would tell me how tired and bored he was playing there. What a contrast. He had been doing it for so long that he dreaded fighting the traffic going and leaving the theatre every night in the heart of London and he was thoroughly bored playing the score and becoming robotic with it.

To this day, hearing the music brightens my day or evenings and although I can understand his position, I would have changed places in a heartbeat.
John

"A poor workman always blames his tools"
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11159 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:

Tony?
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20539 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Oct 29, 2014, slowkneenuh wrote:
The post by Magnus reminded me of an amusing conversation I had. In a previous post I mentioned that I was a huge fan of Andrew Lloyd Webber's musicals and in particular the Phantom of the Opera. I saw the Phantom several times while I was in London on assignment. During the latter part of the assignment I worked with a gentleman that played an instrument (I forget which one now) in the orchestra for the Phantom. As I would tell him of my excitement before and after each performance he would tell me how tired and bored he was playing there. What a contrast. He had been doing it for so long that he dreaded fighting the traffic going and leaving the theatre every night in the heart of London and he was thoroughly bored playing the score and becoming robotic with it.

To this day, hearing the music brightens my day or evenings and although I can understand his position, I would have changed places in a heartbeat.

Many are Critical particularly of Phantom. My wife and Isaw it several times at The Venetian and really enjoyed it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Quote:
On Oct 29, 2014, Michael Baker wrote:
Quote:

Tony?

lower case s, Michael Smile
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11159 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
Quote:
On Oct 29, 2014, Michael Baker wrote:
Quote:

Tony?

lower case s, Michael Smile

Of course. Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What is the best live show you have seen? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL