The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Derren Brown, Andy Nyman, Dynamo, Luke Jermay, Wayne Dobson and David Berglas (24 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Raj Suman
View Profile
Veteran user
318 Posts

Profile of Raj Suman
I will be upset if I have to pay more as I am a loyal subscriber already. I wonder if it is?
Mister E.
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
189 Posts

Profile of Mister E.
Quote:
On Oct 28, 2014, Clel-Mentalist wrote:
So in other words not great

I don't think you are getting the point. Derren Brown is one of the greatest magical entertainers of our time. If he only gives insight in performance and character building this will be probably more worth, than if he teaches effects. What would you do with his effects? Perform them? To find out that you're still not half as entertaining as he is? I wouldn't dare to.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On Oct 28, 2014, BCE wrote:
Call me naive (I openly plead ignorance until someone can clarify it for me), but having established that this may be more similar to the Cassidy/Osterlind lecture that attracted considerable flak, there's nothing in the ad copy to suggest this will be included with subscriptions. Is that presumption correct? In other words, all previously-scheduled and to-be-scheduled subscription-accesible lectures will proceed as usual independent of this? Any clarification would be much appreciated to put the gossip to rest. Thanks.

Richard's and my lecture got as many five star reviews as it did negative ones. But, sadly, it seems to be true that there are many who are only interested in new tricks, rather than getting an insight into the thinking, scripting and stagecraft that makes mentalism work.
RobertMarsi
View Profile
Loyal user
237 Posts

Profile of RobertMarsi
Wait a minute. Am I dreaming? My man David Berglas doing a Penguin lecture? That will be awesome! What a line-up!
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On Oct 29, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
Call me naive (I openly plead ignorance until someone can clarify it for me), but having established that this may be more similar to the Cassidy/Osterlind lecture that attracted considerable flak, there's nothing in the ad copy to suggest this will be included with subscriptions. Is that presumption correct? In other words, all previously-scheduled and to-be-scheduled subscription-accesible lectures will proceed as usual independent of this? Any clarification would be much appreciated to put the gossip to rest. Thanks.

Richard's and my lecture got as many five star reviews as it did negative ones. But, sadly, it seems to be true that there are many who are only interested in new tricks, rather than getting an insight into the thinking, scripting and stagecraft that makes mentalism work.

And that in essence also reflects the biggest differences between magic and mentalism (neither being superior to the other, just different).

I notice more and more of the Penguin lectures now feature well known mentalists, but mentalism does depend far more on the stagecraft elements compared with the perfomance of magic.

If Derren, Andy and others delve more into those theatrical areas than the effects, I will personally be thrilled and trying to soak it all up as that is the secret sauce. This is what makes these guys tops in their field, and it is also what makes Dr. Bob and Richard so exquisite to watch.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
eboetcker
View Profile
Regular user
Jacksonville, FL
187 Posts

Profile of eboetcker
Quote:
Think its telling these are advertised as events and not lectures. Don't get your hopes up guys, I'd bet these will be little more than the interviews fcm put out.

While mildly interesting for fans, no effects taught!

No effects taught? I don't think that is an accurate assumption by any means.
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3640 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
Quote:
On Oct 29, 2014, saysold1 wrote:

If Derren, Andy and others delve more into those theatrical areas than the effects, I will personally be thrilled and trying to soak it all up as that is the secret sauce. This is what makes these guys tops in their field, and it is also what makes Dr. Bob and Richard so exquisite to watch.

Spot on! Smile
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
Alwow
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
544 Posts

Profile of Alwow
Quote:
On Oct 29, 2014, saysold1 wrote:

Absolutely agree. I'm on the I have enough effects bandwagon. If you can teach me how to continue to grow as a performer I'm sold!
"Everything I show you is the truth... And the truth is the loveliest of lies"
Sensio
View Profile
Special user
I promise I won't exceed
641 Posts

Profile of Sensio
Shouldn't Acar clarify a little ?
Smiles, rumours, wonders going on here!
Hype is good but confusion is a totally different thing IMHO.

Rgds
FrankieF
View Profile
Veteran user
So Cal
334 Posts

Profile of FrankieF
How are we going to purchase it is it a download or a dvd and is there anyway to preorder?
Raj Suman
View Profile
Veteran user
318 Posts

Profile of Raj Suman
Good news. This lectures and interviews are covered as part of the existing subscription for live lectures which is a good thing. A good value for moneyy.
Prometheus
View Profile
Special user
Europe
524 Posts

Profile of Prometheus
Hi folks,

I would be interesting how every single one of them would describe themself as a performer, but also as the person that they are off stage.

Greetings

Prometheus
-

Prometheus
Mark Storms
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle, WA
393 Posts

Profile of Mark Storms
I wonder if these will actually be lectures or if they will just be interviews.
Find out what you cannot do.., Then go and do it!
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
I think lectures. Acar doesn't screw around
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
GordonTheHypnotist
View Profile
Elite user
Don't Read This Sign
495 Posts

Profile of GordonTheHypnotist
I don't get it !!!!' Acar came on this very thread and said ASK QUESTIONS!!! It is really up to us what material is covered. You want to know something specific. Ask the question? If you think it is really important get everybody to vote on those questions to raise their value!

And last but not least this event is going to recorded so Penguin will have a profound knowledge to what is included in each lecture. If it sounds like something you want then by all means purchase it. If you already have the subscription then you are getting a better deal.

But if you don't go on the penguin site and ask the questions you want learn about then you really have nothing to complain about. Sure they may not pick your questions but then you don't have to purchase it.
Gullibility is an attractive quality in people
MovieMan
View Profile
Special user
569 Posts

Profile of MovieMan
Quote:
Nowhere in the ad copy is it explicit that these are live lectures like we have been used to. Would Acar like to chime in?

Did you read the original post?

Quote:
On Oct 27, 2014, Acar wrote:
1. Understandably, these legends cannot travel to us, so we are going to them.
2. Due to their busy schedules and locations, we will not be able to broadcast these events live.
3. They're going to be broadcast soon after, starting when we return.
4. However, we'll STILL be asking YOUR questions!

Go back and read more carefully. Smile
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Just heard that the Derren Browne lecture is taping today! How cool is that?

No idea when it's airing but no doubt some VIP's will be in attendance.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Sorry about the extra E - on my iPhone.
Ray Chelt
View Profile
Special user
Changing the world with my
988 Posts

Profile of Ray Chelt
Quote:
On Oct 29, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:

Sadly Bob, there isn't much of a market for teaching people how to think...It's all about instant gratification.
Ray Chelt
View Profile
Special user
Changing the world with my
988 Posts

Profile of Ray Chelt
I'd be hugely keen to see Derren not playing his mentalist persona ..not something I've seen a lot of.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Derren Brown, Andy Nyman, Dynamo, Luke Jermay, Wayne Dobson and David Berglas (24 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL