The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Sympathetic 10 - Joerg Alexander (23 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
swayne100
View Profile
Veteran user
366 Posts

Profile of swayne100
Actually, Leipzig didn't invent it, and he was very quick to tell that to people who praised him for this trick. Although he did always say that he made it better...
Card-Shark
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1706 Posts

Profile of Card-Shark
And so did Jörg ;-)

The Person Who Says It cannot Be Done Should Not Interrupt The Person Doing It!
Chinese Proverb
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5293 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
OK - the suspense is killing me; who DID invent it?

Jim
Card-Shark
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1706 Posts

Profile of Card-Shark
Just watch the DVD and you know exactly.

Chinese Proverb
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5838 Posts

Profile of motown
I've always enjoyed this effect since reading Dingle's version in his book.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
jbadman
View Profile
Special user
London
918 Posts

Profile of jbadman
Anyone know who invented this routine? I don't want to buy the DVD to find out - I already have a set of Dingle's original cards for this!
http://www.underground-collective.com - check out our new DVD now!
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
3689 Posts

Profile of JanForster
The trick itself was invented by British magician Herbert Milton around 1920 (see also Jinx, issue 53) and performed by him. Ever since many have played with it and Nate Leipzig probably was the first one popularizing it. Joerg's routine and handling are superb and for sure one of the best solutions. It has been published by him already in German several times many years ago. Neil Leister was the first one who produced the necessary cards with Bics for me long time ago. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Card-Shark
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1706 Posts

Profile of Card-Shark
Thanks Jan, that saved me going back and watching the DVD to tell Jamie. Smile

With "the trick" Jan means the plot of changing the order of cards into another order, matching the random order of a different assortment of cards.

There are several versions out there, some are pretty boring and would not survive the attention span of today's spectators anymore. And that is what makes Jörg's version so interesting: it is THE one that has the most streamlined and entertaining plot of all, in my point of view (and many others).

Chinese Proverb
Old Guy
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Old Guy
My set came in today - 2 decks and one set of gaffs
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4183 Posts

Profile of videoman
Absolutely LOVE this plot, great gaffs and DVD too.
This is classic parlor magic at its finest.
This just may have to get my vote for trick of the year!
Ypnoze
View Profile
Veteran user
364 Posts

Profile of Ypnoze
Are the gaffs available in Bicycle ?
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5293 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Quote:
On Dec 8, 2014, Ypnoze wrote:
Are the gaffs available in Bicycle ?

Not from Card-Shark. I don’t know of anyone else making it presently.

Jim
Card-Shark
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1706 Posts

Profile of Card-Shark
Definitely not in that quality. But where is the problem? Why use Bicycles (anyway)?
Karl Hein was performing/lecturing in London and he used a Phoenix Deck. Unintentionally inside was a Bicycle gimmick, he fooled hinself and hundreds of magicians with it before he noticed the fact during the explanation.

You could for instance put the whole deck into a Bicycle box. With artistic decks under the name Bicycle popping up every week, who would question another one? The back design of the cards does not play a role in this effect anyway.

Chinese Proverb
corpmagi
View Profile
Special user
New York
699 Posts

Profile of corpmagi
While the effect may be the same, Joerg's routine is incredibly well thought out. I learned it from the Flicking Fingers book and have seen Joerg perform his version live several times. It is a real winner.
A Modern Trade Show Handbook
www.trafficstoppers.com/handbook
Card-Shark
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1706 Posts

Profile of Card-Shark
First review anybody?

Chinese Proverb
rmorrell
View Profile
Loyal user
211 Posts

Profile of rmorrell
I picked this up from Card Shark at the International Convention, and love it! The DVD is well produced Joerg goes through all the details including two ways to prepare the sealed deck, tips on certain parts of the handling etc. it is the little details like this that show he has worked this for a number of years.

The gaffs are as you would expect from Card Shark excellent quality, and you get two decks of Phoenix cards so you really are ready to go.

If you have read the routine in the Flicking Fingers book it really is what it is, you couldn't do this without the gaffs, and now having them readily available in this quality is brilliant.

I have the Ontology version as well, the difference without trying to give too much away, is in the Ontology version you can show the full deck of all four suits cleanly at the start of the routine, but you don't get the reversed card element of the routine and you can't show the cards as 'freely' as you can in Joerg's version as they come out of the glass.

Personally I really don't think the trade of showing the entire deck before the routine in Ontology weighs against losing the reversed card element and the better show at the end but that would be a personal choice I think.

All in all very happy with this!
Rich Morrell
---
The Magician Blog
Ian Richards
View Profile
Loyal user
219 Posts

Profile of Ian Richards
This is the best thing that I have ever purchased in fifteen years in magic.
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
1658 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
I would have to agree with Ian, just got this...initially it seemed a bit pricey..but upon further inspection and watching this, the production value of the gimmicks, the card decks (two Phoenix decks are included), the DVD, and the excellent teaching, as well as the fact that the routine is really streamlined for today's short attention span audiences, this might be one of the best tricks I've purchased in a very long time.
I highly recommend it, if you like the Sympathetic card plot
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2626 Posts

Profile of Tom G
I like the routine. I've only seen it on the Finger Flickers DVD set, but didn't care for the force he used.
Card-Shark
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1706 Posts

Profile of Card-Shark
On the Flicking Fingers DVD you only saw his presentation, no explanation.
This release is the first time Jörg explains it on DVD. And what a great teacher he is.

Chinese Proverb
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Sympathetic 10 - Joerg Alexander (23 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL