The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Sympathetic 10 - Joerg Alexander (23 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
CardMaker
View Profile
Inner circle
Ludwigsburg/GERMANY
1063 Posts

Profile of CardMaker
@J-Mac
That can be done. But .... it requires THINKING!
Since I make a bunch of replacement cards for various marketed tricks, every (!) customer still wants to stick with the suits of cards used in the description of their paid trick. Using other combinations, card suits an so on makes the magician different from other perfoming the same trick in the same town.
But hey - anybode to his likings and his brain skills ;-)
.....and please ignore my sarcasm.
CardMaker/Bernd Maucksch
Finest gaffed cards for magicians
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5294 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
No problem. Remember, he couldn't find your website when he asked... And I don’t know how to reach you!

(And who wants to be like all those other magicians anyway?!) Smile

Thanks!

Jim
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7294 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Wait, did they stop making these?
Phatmeat
View Profile
Elite user
Germantown, Maryland
485 Posts

Profile of Phatmeat
Paisa, the trick is still being produced. CardShark produces the gaffs using Phoenix cards. For anyone interested in getting a set of standard Bicycle gaff cards, CardMaker custom produces those.
Phatmeat
View Profile
Elite user
Germantown, Maryland
485 Posts

Profile of Phatmeat
Has anyone found the ideal type of wine glass to use with this effect? I've checked several stores and so far I haven't found a wine glass that has all the right characteristics. The ideal wine glass would have a long stem and would be able to fit and firmly hold 10 poker sized playing cards without the cards flopping around. All of the wine glasses I've looked at so far either have a diameter that is too small where the cards won't fit, or a diameter that is too large where the cards flop around inside the glass. As long as the cards fit inside of the wine glass it would technically work, but if they have too much room the flop around I think the effect looks kind of sloppy. The wine glass that Joerg uses has all of the characteristics. Just can't seem to find one like his.
jordanjohnson
View Profile
Special user
Hiding in the Shadows
555 Posts

Profile of jordanjohnson
Does anyone have any online site that they have had good luck with finding the right wine glasses. Still can't locate ones that hold the cards right.
sgtgrey
View Profile
Special user
Austin, TX
836 Posts

Profile of sgtgrey
I use the Edge wine glasses from Crate & Barrel (15 oz):
http://m.crateandbarrel.com/edge-wine-glasses/f6633

I have also used these ones to good success:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B014IY5W4......ass+kuuk

The edge ones are nice looking nice and the fact it is flat at the bottom help the cards fit nicely. The other ones are great for travel since they pack safe and small, and they are plastic. Not quite as nice looking, but since you won't be doing this close up, they will look just fine.

That's my 2 cents....good luck! It's an excellent effect.
weeky91
View Profile
New user
46 Posts

Profile of weeky91
The cheap one's from Ikea are perfect. (Europe)
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
1838 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
I found mine in a thrift store. Just take one of the cards with you so you can see how it fits. Hope that helps.

Good magic to all,

Eric
wanderwizard
View Profile
Regular user
159 Posts

Profile of wanderwizard
Going to click at Saturn this is right up my street!!!!!!
On The Offbeat
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of On The Offbeat
Quote:
On Mar 5, 2016, jordanjohnson wrote:
Does anyone have any online site that they have had good luck with finding the right wine glasses. Still can't locate ones that hold the cards right.

Yes, these are the PERFECT glasses for Sympathetic 10 or any card in glass effect, or if you just want to display a card in a glass.

These cost a bit more than the .79 cent glasses from Ikea but they are great glasses, especially if you travel or carry your show in a case. They're the absolute best I have found.

First, they fit poker size cards perfectly.
Second, they are made of polycarbonate and intended for outdoor use so they are very rugged and durable. They will not break like glass will.
Third, they unscrew where the stem meets the bowl and then the stem locks inside of the bowl so it is not only protected but is also more compact and takes up a lot less precious space in your case. But you cannot tell that they unscrew, they look like a totally solid, one piece glass.
Fourth, they look classy and elegant and your audience will believe they are real glass.
They're only 7 bucks or so and worth every penny IMO.

http://www.amazon.com/GSI-Outdoors-Nesti......ne+glass
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1332 Posts

Profile of stempleton
Quote:
On May 4, 2016, On The Offbeat wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 5, 2016, jordanjohnson wrote:

Yes, these are the PERFECT glasses for Sympathetic 10 or any card in glass effect, or if you just want to display a card in a glass.

These cost a bit more than the .79 cent glasses from Ikea but they are great glasses, especially if you travel or carry your show in a case. They're the absolute best I have found.

First, they fit poker size cards perfectly.
Second, they are made of polycarbonate and intended for outdoor use so they are very rugged and durable. They will not break like glass will.
Third, they unscrew where the stem meets the bowl and then the stem locks inside of the bowl so it is not only protected but is also more compact and takes up a lot less precious space in your case. But you cannot tell that they unscrew, they look like a totally solid, one piece glass.
Fourth, they look classy and elegant and your audience will believe they are real glass.
They're only 7 bucks or so and worth every penny IMO.

http://www.amazon.com/GSI-Outdoors-Nesti......ne+glass

Well, I ordered these and received them today. While they do allow for less card to protrude from the top the packet flops front to back much more than the IKEA glasses I purchased... a critical point if not wishing to alert the specs to anything shady. I also notice that the stem is (for me) more difficult to manipulate. I do like the fact that it breaks down and is shatterproof, but I think I'll stick with the IKEA for now and transport everything in a padded case.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11617 Posts

Profile of John C
I'll give this a shot.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11617 Posts

Profile of John C
Well I gave it a shot. Great trick, can't wait to use it.

As far as the sealing the deck bit seems like you could go thru a lot of decks getting plastic off.

I found this sealer unit called wonder sealer

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/10066

Anyone know of other such devices? I see myself using the quite a bit.

J
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Doc Willie
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of Doc Willie
I just got this, and it is at the top of my list for tricks to perform. Some ideas in response to the above discussion:

1. One could easily make the gaffs from cards from Card-Shark's Double Decker. Those should be thin enough to get by making your own DFs.

2. The instructions tell you how to make the sealed deck. Open it from the bottom. Cut the film. Glue the bottom flaps shut. As soon as you pull out the deck, pull the cellphone film off (I make a comment about saving it, because at some point I use it to switch to a large rhinestone in the participant's hand). Also, a lot faster then fighting with the pull strip. Then hand the sealed deck out for inspection.

3. Having the participant insert an inverted card behind their back is a good alternative to the fan !@#$*. Since you switch the packets as the next step, it does not matter where they put it.

4. I saw some glasses that looked like they would work in a dollar plus store. They fit the cards, but I did not get them, so I do not know how they work in practice. I am looking for a plastic set as a backup.

5. My own presentation involves using the trick as an illustration of (Geek Alert) quantum entanglement.
Magic Mark
View Profile
Loyal user
244 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
The Ikea wine glasses that some of you are using for this, are they the Svalka 8 oz of Svalka 10 oz?

These:

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/svalka-whit......0015134/

Or these:

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/svalka-red-......0015123/

Those are the only ones I see on Ikea's site that are under $1 per glass.

The wine glasses I have here at home (3 different sizes) are all too big (we like wine Smile ). The packet of cards flop forward and backward in the glass.

Mark
Magic Mark
View Profile
Loyal user
244 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
I visited an Ikea and wasn't finding any of their wine glasses to be the right fit. Then I noticed an under-counter wine glass holder that was on display and it had three wine glasses on it (and held in place with zip ties). One of those wine glasses was a different size than others on display. I slipped a packet of cards into the glass and they fit nicely (though, a little bit of the tops of the cards protruded past the top of the glass). I asked an employee and she said that that single glass was a size/model that they used to sell but no longer carry. She said it had been 2-3 years since they had that size (the one there had been attached to the glass holder for years). She said they used to sell that size as singles (now all of their wine glasses are in 6-packs).

So, so much for Ikea.

Next stop was a Dollar Tree store. They had a large selection of wine glasses but none seemed to be the preferred size. Finally, I found a single glass way at the back of a lower shelf that was a perfect fit. The glass was a bit thick and heavy and wasn't crystal clear (a slight grayness to the color of the glass) but the cards fit beautifully. The top of the cards were exactly even with the top of the glass and the back and forth movement of the packet within the glass was very minimal. But they only had one.

I purchased it anyway and set off to visit a second Dollar Tree store. There I found two more of correct size and purchased those as well.

Only when I got them home did I realize that all three of them were slightly different in size/shape with regard to the stem/base/foot. Here's a photo of the three, pay particular attention to the base/foot and the thickness of the stem.

Here's a larger version (will open a new window):

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-mwDw......b-4K.jpg

These will obviously work but I'll continue to check various dollar stores as I visit them.

Oh, I also found plastic ones with the right size bowl at the 2nd Dollar Tree. They had a blue stem but the bowl was clear. What I didn't like about the plastic ones was the inside lip seemed quite sharp. I fear that I'd scrape up the edges of the cards from repeated use with those plastic ones. I didn't buy any.

Mark
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4225 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Should check Walmart, I went to buy wine glasses for a specific trick. They have a variety.
Magic Mark
View Profile
Loyal user
244 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
I purchased a Wonder Sealer and had some gimmicked Bicycle Ace cards made so I can do it with a Bicycle deck. I also got genuine USPCC black sticker seals directly from USPCC. Now I perform it using a Bicycle deck. I’ll be performing it tonight.

The Wonder Sealer works great. But it seems everyone is out of the refill wrappers. I hope they become available again.

Mark
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4230 Posts

Profile of videoman
SEO Magic is selling a collapsible wine glass. Kind of pricey at $18 each but it may save some people from running all over town sticking cards into glasses. 😀

https://www.seomagic-usa.com/product_inf......_id/2355
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Sympathetic 10 - Joerg Alexander (23 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.35 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL