The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » How many parents attend your event? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
With everyone working, these days,

Do both parents come to the child's party?

Just curious if you gear it for the kids because the adults are working.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
In Ireland the parents do not attend the show. Normally both parents are in the house but very rarely are they in the room I perform in.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I do many Magic Shows that are mostly Kids but there are almost always 4 Adults or so there.

I don't see as many parents at after school Friday shows. Those tend to be "when should I pick them up?" shows.

I don't think it is so much about me as what sort of party the Hostess/Host planned. Some invite Parents to stay and of course extended Family Parties have lots of Adults. I do mention that my Show will entertain all ages.

I ask the planner what sort of party it is and then tell them what I do that is appropriate. They don't change their plans as far as I can tell, they just tell (or I tell) the Adults who are already there that they are welcome to watch the show.

When the Adults are invited to watch a Magic Show you'd be surprised how often they'll say yes. Sometimes it is half and half Kids and Adults.

I do love it when Magic draws the generations together in laughter and especially amazement.

-Mary Mowder
The Great Zucchini
View Profile
Inner circle
1347 Posts

Profile of The Great Zucchini
I usually have the parents watching the show with the kids. Sometimes, a couple of them will go in another room and talk, but usually most parents are watching. It's extremely rare if I just have room full of kids, no parents. It's so rare, and don't even remember the last time that happened.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I would love the American situation, with parents in the room. I really enjoy family shows.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Eric

Are they mostly moms or do the dads come to the parties too?
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Depends on the Party.

There are many more Moms at a mostly Kids B. Day but if it is an extended Family show the Men are more apt to watch than the Women.

If the Party has not specifically invited both parents then there will be more Women.

I've been in a room with a TV Football Game on one side with mostly Men and some Women watching at one end (not what I like but I'm not going to insist on turning off a game half way through, I will let the hostess decide).
By the time I'd done three effects the whole room was watching me and the TV was silent (but on) and ignored in the corner, YEA!

-Mary Mowder
The Great Zucchini
View Profile
Inner circle
1347 Posts

Jay, I get tons of dads as well at my shows. Sometimes, both. I have actually had adults come to watch public shows, that don't have kids yet, so I've seen everything.
The Great Zucchini
View Profile
Inner circle
1347 Posts

Hey Jay, btw, I just went to your website, as I was curious. It's a fun, energetic, stand out site, spectacular site, buddy. Nice job on it.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
There is always parents at my b-day shows.
I would say more women than men most of the time.
If it is a family affair birthday.I will have more
adults than kids.
Todd
Mr. Pitts
View Profile
Inner circle
David Pitts
1058 Posts

Profile of Mr. Pitts
It varies. These are my general observations though... With anglo families there are usually fewer parents in attendance, but not always. With hispanic families, everybody is there, moms, dads, cousins, abuelos and abuelas, everybody watches, great audiences. With middle-eastern families, especially Indians, all ages are present, usually more adults than children, but nobody but the children really watch or care about the show. These are the toughest.
David Pitts
The Astonishing Mr. Pitts
Comedy Magician and Ventriloquist
http://www.mrpitts.com
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Mr Pitts....Interesting that different cultures interact differently. Some parts of the country don't deal with this at all.
My area is a melting pot so I have to be ready to remove shoes or perform for 5 kids or perform in the middle of a room with a bunch of talkers (who usually have nothing important to say) .

I try to set-up the best situation, during the confirmation call, but it doesn't always work that way.

The best programs are where your programn is a separate activity or people specifically came to see your show, as an attraction.
I always attempt to have the food served outside so the show is inside, or visa-versa. It makes a big difference psychologically if the audience makes a special trip to see you (even if it's just into a different room) as opposed to setting up in the middle of their space and invading.
Mr. Pitts
View Profile
Inner circle
David Pitts
1058 Posts

Profile of Mr. Pitts
Same here Jay, I try to set things up during the initial conversation, then we go over it again during the confirmation call, but I still find myself performing in a wide variety of situations. Gotta be flexible I guess.
David Pitts
The Astonishing Mr. Pitts
Comedy Magician and Ventriloquist
http://www.mrpitts.com
MichaelDouglas
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
766 Posts

Profile of MichaelDouglas
Jay, Most of my shows have parents watching also...maybe 75% of the time. About 2/3 of the shows with parents include the dad's. When I sell the show, I promote it as one that entertains the entire family. Sure, I throw in lines that only the parents get, but I think that a lot of their enjoyment comes from watching the kids having a great time.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » How many parents attend your event? (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL