The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Accident again (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Perhaps I am the only one bothered by the misuse of the term "accident"

the morning news says that a famous baseball player "accidentally" shot himself in the hand while cleaning it.

Sorry -- in may be "inadvertent" or "unfortunate" but hardly an accident.

He chose to own a gun. He chose to clean it. He chose to NOT make sure it was unloaded. He chose to load it in the first place.

in all that nothing was accidental.

I'm not getting down on guns. Years ago our military "Accidentally" shot down a civilian aircraft over the ocean. What an insult! The fighter pilot aimed at the plane, pulled the trigger and hit what he was aiming at. Good job!

To suggest that he accidentally hit it is silly. An officer in charge ordered him to fire. He did not accidentally give the order. He followed that order as trained/conditioned. No accident involved.

It is no accident that the English language is being corrupted.

You only have to decide who is responsible.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
I accidently responded to this thread.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
I accidentally farted.

Can I say "farted" at the Café?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea go through life nit picking things like that. Doesn't make you seem like an old man at all.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I used to be involved with a group called "Operation Lifesaver." Their main emphasis was the teaching of safety and safe behavior around train tracks. Every five minutes in this country somewhere there is an incident with a train/human interaction to the human's determent. Most are not deadly. Their point as it relates to this topic is the difference between an accident and an incident. An accidents is an unforeseeable set of circumstances leading to the creation of problems or injury. (Think of dumb luck) The key word in that sentence is "unforeseeable." Incidents on the other hand happen when someone throws away common sense or acts in a foolish or reckless manner. Both can bring people to grief, but incidents should never happen.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Mystification
View Profile
Special user
571 Posts

Profile of Mystification
I agree with funsway. It was no accident. There is a difference between an accident and a negligent discharge!
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Oops! I did it again!

We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Oct 29, 2014, funsway wrote:

the morning news says that a famous baseball player "accidentally" shot himself in the hand while cleaning it.

Sorry -- in may be "inadvertent" or "unfortunate" but hardly an accident.

He chose to own a gun. He chose to clean it. He chose to NOT make sure it was unloaded. He chose to load it in the first place.

in all that nothing was accidental.

I'm not getting down on guns. Years ago our military "Accidentally" shot down a civilian aircraft over the ocean. What an insult! The fighter pilot aimed at the plane, pulled the trigger and hit what he was aiming at. Good job!

To suggest that he accidentally hit it is silly. An officer in charge ordered him to fire. He did not accidentally give the order. He followed that order as trained/conditioned. No accident involved.

You only have to decide who is responsible.

I think your quibble is with the word itself and not its use, at least in this instance, which is straight out of the dictionary:

Accidentally: happening by chance or accident; not planned; unexpected
Accident: an undesirable or unfortunate happening that occurs unintentionally and usually results in harm,,.

I think it's safe to assume the shooting was unplanned, unexpected, undesirable, and resulted in harm.

Your use would pretty much eliminate the word altogether.m the would be no automobile accidents, because we all choose to buy (or rent) cars, choose to drive them, etc. I guess one could be accidentally struck by lightning, but no...I suppose one would choose to go outdoors for that to happen.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
You’ve got to admire the planning and techniques that’s used to make it all these accidents come into being.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On Oct 29, 2014, stoneunhinged wrote:
I accidentally farted.

That was no accident! You intentionally consumed the food or substance that predictably caused you to fart!

No accident at all! But I'm sick of seeing the air corrupted by "accidental" farters.

Gotta go now and tell those whippersnappers (again!) to get off of my lawn.

Harumph!
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On Oct 29, 2014, stoneunhinged wrote:
I accidentally farted.

No. The Café censor bot will always change "farted" to "farted" and your meaning will be lost.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
This whole thread is starting to stink.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On Oct 29, 2014, rockwall wrote:
This whole thread is starting to stink.

And that's no accident!
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:

Here are about 100 more, more or less:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/09/11......t-up-yet

Stories of special note include:

#13, the Plaxico Burress of the UFC, Joe "Diesel" Riggs, who accidentally shot himself while cleaning a still-loaded pistol, and will therefore miss his scheduled September 13th comeback bout.

#34, in which Los Angeles County deputies, after an 8-hour SWAT standoff, mistook a homeowner who'd been taken hostage for the suspect who'd broken in, shooting and killing him.

#61, in which a woman using Skype to show off a new pistol and laser sight to her daughter, accidentally shot her husband.

#96, in which a Loudoun Co., VA sheriff's deputy accidentally shot his teenage daughter, mistaking her for an intruder.

#98, in which a Colorado man riding a motorcycle was involved in a collision, and accidentally shot himself with his own concealed weapon.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
I accidentally opened this thread.
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:

It isn't?

It is intentional?

There is some kind of "Let us destroy and corrupt English" conspiracy?

Wow!

I'm glad to know about it, because I want to join the fight!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iii4I3QyV5o
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2538 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
A modern day term that winds me up, to the extent that I actually shout at the tele (or the computer if I'm reading it) is the pathetic term 'wardrobe malfunction'. Smile

To me a 'wardrobe malfunction' is when the door gets stuck; or the hanging rail falls down inside.

If, for example, some celebrity's breast happens to inadvertently fall out, then that ISN'T a 'wardrobe malfunction'!

Unless of course she happened to be wearing a wardrobe at the time. Which, let's be fair, is highly unlikely.
Barry Allen

Over 15 years have now passed - and still missing Abra Magazine arriving every Saturday morning.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Way to be upset about a phrase not used since 2004.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
I love some of these terms, which are often inadvertently hilarious (See? I said, "inadvertently," not "accidentally." I learn.).

We just need some perspective.

More recently, when Gwyneth Paltrow called her divorce from Chris Martin a "conscious uncoupling," I thought that was great. That term served well to distinguish their divorce from all of those other - accidental - divorces.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Oct 31, 2014, Dannydoyle wrote:

Way to be upset about a phrase not used since 2004.

That was my first thought, but then I realized some probably still use that phrase when the celebrity lassies step out of cars having accidentally forgotten to put their dainty undergarments on.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Accident again (4 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL