The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » David Penns Mystery Solved (131 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8..19~20~21 [Next]
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
You are correct, Jamie.

If there is one thing which really irritates me, it is the tendency to class people who offer negative feedback as "trolls".

Another classic example of intellectual vacuity is the use of the word "hater".

People who employ these terms are often bereft of both humour and the ability to think critically about other people's ideas which may conflict with their own.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18697 Posts

Profile of IAIN
...stating an opinion is great, even better if its eloquent and logical over aeolistic - however, trolling and bating is rife in this section (and in this thread)...

the irony is not lost on me, that others now getting huffy over me bringing up the trolling issue, and defending it saying "well, its just..like...my opinion, man..." - are also guilty of the thing they accuse others of...i am allowed to think that people are bating and trolling, that is my opinion...

maybe some people are trolling accidentally...

example - I could say that one of the meanings of "vacuity" is "absence of thought or intelligence" so you don't need to say intellectual vacuity...but that could also be seen as out and out pedantry instead...

hey-ho...
Cohiba
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
749 Posts

Profile of Cohiba
Quote:
On Oct 31, 2014, genius wrote:
The use of a prop in this effect is obvious. Who carries clear glass boxes with them? This is not organic mentalism!

Mindblowingly,
Charles

Well the average guy on the street isn't going to have a clear glass box in his pocket, but a magician or mentalist aiming to be as fair as possible to his audience very likely would.

The concern should be whether or not the prop makes sense in the routine, and whether or not it looks suspicious. If its use makes complete sense, and it arouses no suspicion, then I believe you are still abiding by the "organic" ideal.

A portable finger-chopper, for example, makes sense (because you're a magician showing something impossible - you carry weird props to show your skills); however, it arouses suspicion as a funky magician prop, so it does not fit into the organic ideal.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Well, dear chap, the number one definition of vacuity is an absence of. I don't think we need to refer to a dictionary, do we? Or do we not understand how dictionaries work in terms of listed definitions? Ahem.

Now, what I'm doing there, Iain, is being fairly abrasive towards you. It's not trolling, it is cut and thrust. Similarly, "accidental trolling" is oxymoronic. Trolling is by definition deliberate.

I enjoy reading your contributions here, they are often pithy and amusing. But you don't like it when anyone disagrees with you. Not my problem, as Douglas Adams would have it; it's an SEP, as far as I'm concerned.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18697 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I did say "one of the meanings"...do please keep up old bean...

yes - you are being abrasive, maybe even provocative (not just you, but a couple of others, and myself in return)...and its not that I dislike people disagreeing with what I think/say - its the simple act of fairness/honesty in our communications with one another that I feel is important, and when it is degraded in some way (usually to provoke a reaction, other times its because someone is talking down to someone else, or being snobbish, priggish or a multitude of other -ishes), that's when I sometimes feel its fair to return that particular favour...a taste of their own medicine, a reflection of their behaviour...that kind of thing...

some of the comments in this thread have been said to deliberately provoke others in a negative way...if you don't want to define that as trolling, that's your choice...likewise, to some people its "cut and thrust", to others its "being a bit of a d**khead for no good reason"...
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Well, that as you say is your opinion. No problem here.

Yes, you did say "one of" the definitions. So why say it at all, when in fact it is meaningless?

Is it you that is the troll, my lovely? Has the world gone mad?

:-)

Smile Smile
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18697 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Just for this thread, yes...it made me feel special...

i find latest and greatest to be the biggest digital zoo of all, and it is both enticing and depressing in equal measure...y'know when you see an animal rock back and forth out of either delight or madness, and you're not entirely sure which? its that...
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Rocking back and forth? Ooh. Really? Okay. See ya.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18697 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Anyway - a transparent box...

plenty of metaphors to play with to bring some meaning to it...i've always felt that having the item on show from the start gives it an air of inevitability which you may or may not want for a routine...i suppose you could do a version of the andy nyman effect with it (but without showing the face before you start)...

a crystal clear box could symbolise clarity of thought, that there's one thing that you have been focusing on intently for a while...its there, on the table, you know what it is, and you think your participant knows what it is too, they just don't know how they know it...
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I don't think it will be an issue if this can be examined or not. The most beautiful card to box I've ever seen was Tommy Wonder's, and it is dirty as Hell. I mean that box couldn't be examined by Ray Charles! But, the design utilized produced an illusion of a folded card, actually falling out of the box. The small size kept it easily hidden in the hand and while not really palmed, it was kind of out of sight out of mind.

I use the Kohler Box which is not examinable but it serves another purpose, holding some coins for a previous routine. This is Jamy Swiss's excellent addition to the plot. David's new box looks a bit too small for that, but still looks great and if handled properly, it should not matter if it is examinable or not.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Yes, a transparent box.

It's a different plot, but for magicians is it a better one?

Whit Haydn, in his excellent writing, suggests learning a good script and just doing that to begin with.

I would suggest, to young magicians, to watch Tommy Wonder's ACR; to buy his books; to buy his videos, and to learn the script.

As most of us know, the climax is the signed card ending up in a wooden box, which has been introduced prior to the ACR. Nobody knows what is inside that box, until it is opened. If properly constructed, and properly executed, the box will fool anyone who is not a magician. Nobody will ask to see the box.

I bought Clarity Box, and it's a lovely prop, but compared with the TW approach it is low on mystery and high on implied premise. Does this make for good theatre? I don't think so.

But for a mentalist? Well, I can see the potential, even not being a mentalist.
Funnybaldbloke
View Profile
Veteran user
Blackpool, England
377 Posts

Profile of Funnybaldbloke
When I was performing close up, the end to my ambitious card was a 'card to box'.

I just used the normal Bicycle card box, which had been on the table throughout my spot, with a subtlety from Steve Bedwell to enable you to hear something rattling inside, then pulled out the folded signed card. It always got a fantastic reaction. No one ever said 'ah but that box should have been clear', it's immediately examinable and it didn't cost anything as the box came free with every deck of cards.

Lay people don't give a s**t what type of box it is as long as they've been entertained. Throw some gags in, get em laughing and they won't care where the card came from.

I'm all for forwarding the art but this is getting silly now.
Tomorrow's bottom of the bill...Today!
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
I agree, you funny bald bloke, with most of what you say. But if the box is clear, then it's a totally different trick. C'mon now.
Ray Chelt
View Profile
Inner circle
Changing the world with my
1278 Posts

Profile of Ray Chelt
The biggest thing that concerns me, on reflection (ahem), is that Penn ditches that box very quickly after the switch. From a spectators point of view I hate rapid movements, it always signifies something shonky has happened even if they don't know what it is.

Never mind examinable, I just wonder whether the box itself doesn't even bear looking at for too long after the moment.
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5654 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
One might like to check out the - "Secret sessions » » Howie Diddits"

Enjoy! Smile

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET, there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
Cole Gross
View Profile
Elite user
Fresno, CA
437 Posts

Profile of Cole Gross
Quote:
On Oct 31, 2014, Raj Suman wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 31, 2014, Cole Gross wrote:
Hey guys,

I know this is already 3 pages deep of HIGH and DESERVING compliments and excitement, but I wanted to post about it as well. David Penn has really struck gold in this version. I was fortunate enough to get a skype view of this and he showed it to us at Hocus Pocus and this thing really is all that everyone has said and more. We could not be more excited for him and know this will be a holiday smash hit. We just listed it for presale at Hocus Pocus to be shipped on the worldwide release date of November 28, 2014. We are offering FREE WORLDWIDE SHIPPING for those who preorder here. If you have any questions please let me know and again congrats to David and his team on a job VERY well done.

http://www.hocus-pocus.com/magicshop/?p=28309

Cole

I believed what you said about hidden hand and look how that turned out. You are the boy who cried wolf I think.

I am entitled to post my opinion on here just like everyone else. If you don't like my opinion or thoughts you are welcome to ignore them. Others appreciate my perspective and thank me for them. I think this is great and I meant everything I said about it. If I have left the impression that I am just here to sell something it am sorry. That is not my intent. I would always rather a customer be a log time customer and satisfied with products we sell rather than make a one time small sale and lose a customer for life. That is why I try to give my honest opinions and would never sell something just to sell it. If anyone has any specific questions about this item feel free to pm me and I am always happy to help.

Cole
Cole
Hocus Pocus Magic
Toll Free: 800-407-4040
www.hocus-pocus.com
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10604 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Cole is relatively new around here (compared with dad) and of course he has every right to his views - but of course he is in the business of selling stuff.

In the end it is always best to weigh multiple opinions and then decide.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1499 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
With all due respect, if "people" are getting to the end of their "tether" then perhaps said "people" should look at themselves in the mirror, for they are looking at the person most responsible for their journey down that tether line in the first place.

NO ONE forces anyone to read the hype, to believe the hype, or to purchase any product, pre-order or otherwise. Last I checked, I have the free will to ignore any hype and simply wait for actual reviews to come rolling in before I decide to purchase any product. Any person not willing to regulate their wants and desires subjects themselves to the vagaries of the market and the goodwill of the others, to the extent that that good will exists at all.

The people are their own worst enemy...

Quote:
On Oct 31, 2014, Jamie Ferguson wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 31, 2014, IAIN wrote:
...has there been a downsizing of bridges recently? why the sudden influx of trolls on here?

I think people are getting to the end of their tether with the amount of c*** being released, dealer hype, testimonials from friends and the pre-order rip-off.

Change is in the air my friend.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
dp
View Profile
Veteran user
346 Posts

Profile of dp
Hi Guys

First of all, thank you so much for all your interest in Mystery Solved.

People have commented about the amount of trolls on this particular thread. This is a great compliment to the interest in this product. After hosting a review show for many years now, it would be very naive to think the only opinion out there is my own. Some people have genuinely seen everything and some people are speculating. I will leave it up to you to decide.

Someone attacked myself for the use of the same music as QB3 by John Sheets signing off with “C'mon David - you can do better. A little originality maybe? Enough already.” I have let this person know via pm that this was royalty free music purchased well over a year ago when I first used it in Tom Wright’s Oblivion trailer (prior to QB3). I am not insinuating for one second that John has done anything wrong at all. It’s just royalty free music.

I would like to make a few points about Mystery Solved but please understand that these will not be direct comparisons to any other creator’s work. These are just points I would like to make about my own product.

All interest is great, but don’t be upset if I mention a couple of points that people have made genuine mistakes on. Genuine mistakes! If I had just seen the trailer I would make the same assumptions.

The box can be placed on the table in front of the people seated on either side in a banquet situation. Because of the angle of the card/billet in the box you don’t see anything you shouldn’t. I even go as far as letting the spectator’s hold the box themselves, and this just comes down to audience management.

We spend time on the DVD explaining how the box can be left in full view after the dump if this is something you want to achieve. You are certainly not stuck with it in your hand.

On advice from Jason at Murphys, I chose to show it stupidly close at three points in the trailer. It is the equivalent of doing it 5 inches from their nose and yet they will still never see a thing. Of course we know that a participant will never be this close and I believe the angles of Mystery Solved are superb.

Something that I don’t think gets across clearly in the trailer is the fact that it can easily be placed under a glass and be further isolated if you wish. It really is a great size!

You are only limited by your own imagination when it comes to creating applications for Mystery Solved. With my level of Mentalism knowledge it was great to be joined by Peter on the DVD. He provides so many insights into justification as well as great suggestions for scripting and routines.

For myself, as a booked magician and illusionist, the justification for having a clear box is not an issue in the slightest. If I had to start being concerned about strange looking boxes, my warehouse would have a lot more floor space. Peter justifies it so well on the DVD for mentalism, but as a magician, it’s just production value for me personally. I also received a phone call from Peter today to inform me that he is planning a performance video very soon that further justifies the use of Mystery Solved for mentalism.

People who have seen the quality and handled the prop have already mentioned that this has been built from the ground up. This is why the principles work so well, so close up. All this is explained on the one and a half hour DVD that comes with the product.

Thank you ALL for your interest in Mystery Solved and I’ll check back again later. x

Cheers

David
Close Up Magician & Illusionist - David Penn

Search The Wizard Product Review at http://www.worldmagicshop.com
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3700 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
David,
Thank you chiming in with your additional comments and clarifications. It looks great.
Michael
New York
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » David Penns Mystery Solved (131 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8..19~20~21 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL