The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » David Penns Mystery Solved (131 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7~8~9~10~11..19~20~21 [Next]
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1703 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
Quote:
On Nov 3, 2014, Fatgumbo wrote:

Hi certainly. You have previously mentioned (not on this thread) using the destination box for walk around by giving it to the spectator to hold at the start of the routine. What do you think is more practical, producing a glass box from your pocket and giving it to your spectator to hold, then place back in your pocket at the end, or carrying that wooden suitcase with you, and carrying it with both hands to the next table?

In terms of impact, a card which has been seen in full view the whole time and in the spectators hands which undoubtedly could not have been switched makes for a stronger impact. I observed this when switching from kennedy's mystery box to mark southworth's the box.

Thanks.

I do indeed use my Destination Box for walkaround. From the two options you gave, the more practical is the glass box. However, seeing as my Destination Box is not the size of a suitcase and does not require two hands to carry it round, it go with the one that doesn't come from my pocket, taking up more pocket space. You call my box a suitcase for which you need to use both hands which is funny. Just how small are you? Smile

As for impact, this is purely subjective. Whenever people say X is stronger than Y, if they have genuinely worked both X and Y for laymen and discovered that X is stronger then nobody can argue against their experience. You wrote that my Destination Box is sub-par compared to David's one but you have not used either?
Paragon 3D - the most incredible Card to Clear Box you will ever own. Be fooled here: http://youtu.be/GQxRZ1OGkUo
The Silent Treatment - Digital Edition: this iconic routine just got upgraded! Watch - http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=phTDUhX0m9o
Watch the brilliant effect, Rule of Three: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CytuXsCbL0 and order it from www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
Order the bar-raising DVD set 'Connection' at www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
jconstantine
View Profile
Special user
Long Island New York
566 Posts

Profile of jconstantine
Quote:
On Oct 31, 2014, Cohiba wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 31, 2014, genius wrote:
The use of a prop in this effect is obvious. Who carries clear glass boxes with them? This is not organic mentalism!

Mindblowingly,
Charles

Well the average guy on the street isn't going to have a clear glass box in his pocket, but a magician or mentalist aiming to be as fair as possible to his audience very likely would.

What's more fair then a folded card with a paperclip on it?

The concern should be whether or not the prop makes sense in the routine, and whether or not it looks suspicious. If its use makes complete sense, and it arouses no suspicion, then I believe you are still abiding by the "organic" ideal.

A portable finger-chopper, for example, makes sense (because you're a magician showing something impossible - you carry weird props to show your skills); however, it arouses suspicion as a funky magician prop, so it does not fit into the organic ideal.
Misdirect yourself regularly before you attempt to misdirect others!!! Smile Smile Smile
jconstantine
View Profile
Special user
Long Island New York
566 Posts

Profile of jconstantine
Why is anyone listening to Craig anyway. With his last dishonest outright theft RED. Since that I have pretty much sworn off WMS all together. I hope I don't magically (pun intended) get banned for expressing my opinion. As far as the thread subject, go with paperclipped. Nothing is fairer and the switch is perfect. Also if need be the prop (paperclip) can be examined. I'm sure the box cannot be examined.
Misdirect yourself regularly before you attempt to misdirect others!!! Smile Smile Smile
Fatgumbo
View Profile
Veteran user
Melbourne, Australia
301 Posts

Profile of Fatgumbo
Quote:
On Nov 2, 2014, Jon Allen wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 3, 2014, Fatgumbo wrote:

Hi certainly. You have previously mentioned (not on this thread) using the destination box for walk around by giving it to the spectator to hold at the start of the routine. What do you think is more practical, producing a glass box from your pocket and giving it to your spectator to hold, then place back in your pocket at the end, or carrying that wooden suitcase with you, and carrying it with both hands to the next table?

In terms of impact, a card which has been seen in full view the whole time and in the spectators hands which undoubtedly could not have been switched makes for a stronger impact. I observed this when switching from kennedy's mystery box to mark southworth's the box.

Thanks.

I do indeed use my Destination Box for walkaround. From the two options you gave, the more practical is the glass box. However, seeing as my Destination Box is not the size of a suitcase and does not require two hands to carry it round, it go with the one that doesn't come from my pocket, taking up more pocket space. You call my box a suitcase for which you need to use both hands which is funny. Just how small are you? Smile

As for impact, this is purely subjective. Whenever people say X is stronger than Y, if they have genuinely worked both X and Y for laymen and discovered that X is stronger then nobody can argue against their experience. You wrote that my Destination Box is sub-par compared to David's one but you have not used either?

yes it is subjective because it is my opinion. The argument I made was based upon an opaque box vs. a transparent box, and argued that dave's is stronger because it is transparent and smaller. Please don't change the wording of my argument.

Also, it was quite transparent that my usage of the word 'suitcase' was merely figurative, no need to poke fun at my stature for it.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10576 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On Nov 2, 2014, jconstantine wrote:
Why is anyone listening to Craig anyway. With his last dishonest outright theft RED. Since that I have pretty much sworn off WMS all together. I hope I don't magically (pun intended) get banned for expressing my opinion. As far as the thread subject, go with paperclipped. Nothing is fairer and the switch is perfect. Also if need be the prop (paperclip) can be examined. I'm sure the box cannot be examined.

:-)
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5648 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:

Why is anyone listening to Craig anyway. With his last dishonest outright theft RED.

That should keep him in his place for a little while . . . . but I am sure he will be back soon with his hype machine. Smile Smile

Quote:

As far as the thread subject, go with paperclipped. Nothing is fairer and the switch is perfect. Also if need be the prop (paperclip) can be examined. I'm sure the box cannot be examined.

. . . but Lager Switch by Alexander de Cova can be examined. Smile

All of a sudden we see a spur of Card to Crystal Box props popping up. It would now be in the best interest of the consumer that an honest comparison be made of the many such props . . . till then my humble suggestion for the prospective buyer would be to wait for an honest and impartial comparative review . . . . but I am afraid, with the bigwigs involved with their Hype Machines, that might never come.

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET, there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
Angelo Carbone
View Profile
V.I.P.
1298 Posts

Profile of Angelo Carbone
Why is any box a problem? The more card to/in box products are out there, the more choice there is for the consumer. X is better than Y, Y is better than X. It doesn't matter. Buy what you like and use what you want. Simple. We all don't want to be performing with the same props at our gigs, so choice is good. Smile
The Gift: Trick of the Year 2017
My YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/themagicinventor
Magic SMS 2: http://apple.co/2nuxewr
Notion of Motion: http://www.risingcard.co.uk
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5648 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
. . . . but no harm in waiting for a good, honest, impartial comparative review (like I said earlier - IF it ever comes) so as to help the consumer select the right suitable prop for his need. Right? Smile

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET, there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10576 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On Nov 2, 2014, Ustaad wrote:
. . . . but no harm in waiting for a good, honest, impartial comparative review (like I said earlier - IF it ever comes) so as to help the consumer select the right suitable prop for his need. Right? Smile

Smile

It is so cool to have you back Narendra...

Also a heartfelt apology to David Penn from me regarding his choice of the music on his demo video. Apparently (unbeknownst to moi) this was music that anyone can buy, and apparently many magic producers have.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
genius
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of genius
I got one word for you, craig petty. I wont say it, but it is a color. Not blue or yellow. So there...lol.

Mindblowingly,
Charles
Magic Oli
View Profile
New user
Australia
84 Posts

Profile of Magic Oli
Here's an idea for you all:

Why don't you stop being a bunch of b*tches? You are literally having an fight over something you guys know absolutely nothing about, calm down like seriously, no need to get all defensive and sh*tty with anyone who disagrees with you. Also, in regards to Craig and RED; get over it. He made a mistake, I'm sure you lot aren't perfect and I'm sure you've done something that you shouldn't have. Leave the bloke alone. Craig is a person, he doesn't claim to be perfect so stop treating him like he acts like he is. Oh and also, saying RED is not a very good argument, it just makes you look like a complete and utter prat. Everyone needs to get over themselves. By the way, Craig, I miss seeing you on the WPR and hope everything with your family and business is all good Smile

Oli
Magic Oli
View Profile
New user
Australia
84 Posts

Profile of Magic Oli
Oh and also, If you don't like it or want it then don't buy it, simple. You don't have to let everyone know why, most of us don't care about what you like to buy
tricktac
View Profile
New user
U.K
73 Posts

Profile of tricktac
Quote:
On Nov 2, 2014, Craig Petty wrote:
I thought you weren't going to argue.

That didn't last long!

The fact that you used the Coarity Box means you purchased it. So at some point you must have thought that having a clear box was better than Destination Box as you stated that you used Destination Box for 5 years and Clarity Box is a recent product. By spending money on something you must have at least liked the idea. I imagine that having performed with the clarity box you decided Destination Box is better - why was that?

Oh and Jamie, thanks for the welcome.

Craig.

I've pretty much every card to impossible location going, I'm a junkie, so I never thought clarity box was better, just different. But I can honestly say that as far as a signed card the fact that it's not seen makes the reactions that much stronger.

What mystery solved looks like it will be good for is a business card or billet prediction.
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
1983 Posts

Profile of puggo
Quote:
On Nov 2, 2014, Angelo Carbone wrote:
Why is any box a problem? The more card to/in box products are out there, the more choice there is for the consumer. X is better than Y, Y is better than X. It doesn't matter. Buy what you like and use what you want. Simple. We all don't want to be performing with the same props at our gigs, so choice is good. Smile

Well said Mr C.
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
1320 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Quote:

I love it when people bring up Red it's the equivalent of putting your fingers in your ears and saying 'I can't structure a real argument so instead I'm just going to bring up
Something that has nothing to do with the discussion in question!'

Yes I made a mistake and you know what I tried to fix it. I did everything in my power to fix it and will never release another product again. There are many people out there that rip products off daily and keep doing it - why not go after them? Probably because they aren't hear on this thread.

But please don't stop with Red bring some other stuff up. Don't you know I bullied a cripple. I expose illusions to Corporate audiences. I run a children's magic company that's ruining the children's entertainment industry and taking work off real magicians. They so much more to go at.

If you want to talk about this stuff fine phone me. I don't hide - my number is all over the net. But please do not insult my intelligence by using it to try and stop me contributing to a discussion about a product I am interested in. That's just pathetic.

Oh and regarding paper clipped it's a good trick but if your sooooo hot on call out rip off you might want to stop calling it the name Jay Sankey gave it when he ripped it off and credit to to Alexander DeCova who actually created it. Or do you not care about other rip offs or was your post just a way to take a shot at me?
Craig
Raj Suman
View Profile
Veteran user
318 Posts

Profile of Raj Suman
They are idiots Craig. They have nothing else to do but try to make you feel bad but there are lots of people including me who like hearing about your opinion so keep on going and don't let them stop it! Thanks, Raj.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18581 Posts

Profile of IAIN
For me:
a perspex box is for a magician, where reality doesn't especially matter in a performance (as in, you can have pretty much whatever you want out on a table, in the pocket or even under your toupee if you want to) - so you can strange things happen (i thought the weakest presentation for paperclipped was when the mystery card was in fact, somehow, their own signed card - that for me just said 'well, he switches it in some way', whereas a matching one with a different coloured back makes it look and feel like a possible prediction)...having it out at the beginning, the card clearly displayed gives it an inevitability to your presentation "look, we're using cards, and look - in the see thru box, a card...i can join up the dots, I'm not silly"

a paperclip or a wooden box is more for mentalism, because it is more ordinary object, and there is the inherent mystery of "well, that box is there, I wonder what's in it?" - I liked eugene burger's thinking of (if you're using a box to hold your props in) - to never let people see inside the box, and you treat it as a highly personal 'space'. There are even paperclip stands out there for about a fiver that look both a little odd, but kinda nice at the same time. But a small wooden box of some kind, I think its far healthier and in keeping with the mundane side of mentalism items to be a more standard looking item... I've used a wedding/party favour box before, they can hold a MCF...and I've used a small brass trinket box with a nice little peacock design on it for a folded billet...you can get 'em on e.bay...

the de cova lager switch is very good..
am.magic
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of am.magic
A most interesting thread, however, at the end of the day, if you like a product, buy it, if you don't like it, then no one is forcing you to buy that product. Surely it is better to have these different methods props for revealing predictions, it would be a boring workd if we all used the same one.
Molando
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of Molando
I like it. Each performer to their own style. Will probably use it at the dinner table or pubs.
I will have it sitting on a table somewhere I am unable to reach, with either a mini paper bag with a paper handle on, or a wrapping paper cover with a bow on (if it is somebodies birthday), so the box is covered and they have no idea what is there. no bottom to the bag so it can be lifted directly up.

I will let the audience know it is there, and may ask them to make sure I do not go near it as I can not be trusted.

Would not be the first trick. After a small ACR, when I have made the signed card vanish and go hunting for it, hamming it up a bit. will then either lift up by the bow or handle with a fork held at arms length (if at a dinner table), or may have somebody else lift it up to reveal the transparent box. Will just leave the bag on the table (so they can get the idea to examine it, and can), or let the person keep it.

Will let the idea sit with them for a while, then reach over, tip out the card and hand it still folded at arms length with fingertips to one of the people there. Then sit and wait.

If having a bit of flirty fun, would have also stuck a sticker on the face of the card with my e-mail address on.

They have seen that I have not been near it. the box is innocent as transparent, the bag is dubious, but have let them keep it.

To me the card sitting there in full view all the time is a bit much, they know what is going to happen.

Only time may use it that way would be through a challenge to them to pick a card which is not the same as the card in the box whilst I influence them (bit of fun comedy, faces, noise, bad puns). Let them have a deck, let them between themselves choose a card and make sure I do not see it. Then use an extractor. The reveal is clean. The joy of the trick is the journey, not the reveal at the end.

To me this works well, as I am making them choose a duplicate of the card in the box which has been in view all of the time.

Personally a clear box is an innocent prop. if half the box was black plastic, it would loose much of its innocence.

I use wow 2.0 often as an ultimate three card monte kicker.
Tell people it is one of the card holders that kids use to protect their Pokémon cards, using it so that I can not interfere with the card once it is inside. before it is used, have it standing up against something so they can see light going through it. Have used it many many times, and it has never drawn any heat. If you can get away with that, see no reason why a clear box will cause any problems.
Mr Magic Trousers
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Mr Magic Trousers
Quote:
On Nov 3, 2014, Craig Petty wrote:
Don't you know I bullied a cripple. I expose illusions to Corporate audiences. I run a children's magic company that's ruining the children's entertainment industry and taking work off real magicians.

Please explain more.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » David Penns Mystery Solved (131 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7~8~9~10~11..19~20~21 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.43 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL