The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » David Penns Mystery Solved (131 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8~9~10~11~12..19~20~21 [Next]
Fatgumbo
View Profile
Veteran user
Melbourne, Australia
301 Posts

Profile of Fatgumbo
Quote:
On Nov 3, 2014, Mr Magic Trousers wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 3, 2014, Craig Petty wrote:
Don't you know I bullied a cripple. I expose illusions to Corporate audiences. I run a children's magic company that's ruining the children's entertainment industry and taking work off real magicians.

Please explain more.

How about he doesn't, and you do a bit of searching on the Café before you further de-rail this thread with your pointless and irrelevant comments?
Raj Suman
View Profile
Veteran user
318 Posts

Profile of Raj Suman
Quote:
On Nov 3, 2014, Fatgumbo wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Don't you know I bullied a cripple. I expose illusions to Corporate audiences. I run a children's magic company that's ruining the children's entertainment industry and taking work off real magicians.

Please explain more.

How about he doesn't, and you do a bit of searching on the Café before you further de-rail this thread with your pointless and irrelevant comments?

You are very nasty saying that comment. Like a bullying in the playground. Maybe you can be nice and apologise and talk about the product than being nasty all the time.
CarlMcCoy
View Profile
Elite user
464 Posts

Profile of CarlMcCoy
I wouldn't hold your breath Raj.
Raj Suman
View Profile
Veteran user
318 Posts

Profile of Raj Suman
OK I wont , I'm not a Harry Houdini underwater! Smile
genius
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of genius
It is a sad day indeed when anyone admits to bullying a cripple.

Mindblowingly,
Charles

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Please explain more.

Fatgumbo
View Profile
Veteran user
Melbourne, Australia
301 Posts

Profile of Fatgumbo
Quote:
On Nov 3, 2014, Raj Suman wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Please explain more.

You are very nasty saying that comment. Like a bullying in the playground. Maybe you can be nice and apologise and talk about the product than being nasty all the time.

Is Don Dasher back?
James Diamond
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of James Diamond
Let's stay on topic gentlemen.
atouchofmagic1
View Profile
Elite user
466 Posts

Profile of atouchofmagic1
Agreed, this bickering is getting old I thought I got out of high school some time ago.

-Bobby
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3427 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
I personally do not believe everything has to be "organic" merely that it needs to be innocent. To me a clear Perspex box, whilst not necessarily organic, certainly appears to be innocent. What could it possibly hide? This would be ideal for a lottery illusion, attention is drawn to the box at the very start with instructions to ensure that the contents remain in view the entire show. When it finally comes to the lottery effect the numbers are called out by the audience. The performer again draws attention to the clear box that has been in view the whole time, walks over, cleanly tips out the contents and hands the folded lottery ticket to a spectator. Both the performers hands and the box are "clearly" seen to be otherwise empty.

Whether the box is returned to the table or pocketed, it is highly unlikely that the audience will think the box is in anyway responsible for the correct numbers being printed on that lottery ticket. Derren Brown used a huge glass box full of money in Evening of Wonders (I think), hardly "organic" but I do not think a single member of the audience were thinking "why has he got a big glass box, that's not an every day item". Context, as always, is king.

Like any prop of this type it is not an effect in and of itself it is merely a tool to assist in creating an effect. The effect you are trying to produce will determine if this is the right tool for you or if another would be a better fit. I will definitely be taking a close look at (through lol) this box when it is released. I would however agree that this is far better suited to a prediction effect than to a card to impossible location effect.

Mark
Harpacrown is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Ophiuchus is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=ophiuchus
Totally Free Will is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=totally-free-will
genius
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of genius
This is a great prop for magicians.

Mindblowingly,
Charles
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1260 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
Quote:
On Nov 2, 2014, tricktac wrote:
Aha, the truth is out, he hurt your feelings, and you are sticking up for a mate.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...
Like Bonnie Raitt said, "I miss Little Feat more than I miss being 8 years old." Long live Lowell and Richie!
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Brŕth
3642 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
So some of you have accused me of 'stirring' rather than 'scooping' on this thread.

In response I'm going to go back to my roots now to shock you with my latest scoop about Mystery Solved.

Get ready here it comes....

You all first saw the Mystery Solved box back in September. Don't believe me? Check out the shelf behind Mark and Dave on this WPR.

http://www.worldmagicshop.com/wizard-product-review-221/

There it is for all to see!

Is it subliminal advertising or something darker?

I'm not telling. The Scoopmaster's sources are the best kept secret in magic Smile
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3889 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Truly a magnificent scoop, Jamie! Smile
Raj Suman
View Profile
Veteran user
318 Posts

Profile of Raj Suman
I can see it too on the glass it is. That is a good observation. How do you know to look?
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3054 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Quote:
On Nov 3, 2014, Mark_Chandaue wrote:
Derren Brown used a huge glass box full of money in Evening of Wonders (I think), hardly "organic" but I do not think a single member of the audience were thinking "why has he got a big glass box, that's not an every day item". Context, as always, is king.

Mark

Not sure that's the best example, Mark. I don't think you can really compare a prop used in a large-scale stage show to a prop for close up mentalism. Derren was putting on a large, theatrical production. A large glass box was "organic" within that context. At the end of the evening his final reveal was on large revolving circular boards; a close up mentalism would be unwise to use mini-revolving circular boards in a close up routine. In fact, didn't he don a gorilla suit at one point? Another item I might skip in a close up setting.

In general, I would say mentalists should think carefully before introducing any unusual items into their close up performances.
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3427 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
Who said anything about close up? If I were to use this box for a lottery prediction for example it would be in a stage/cabaret/platform show. Close up I would probably produce the lottery ticket from my wallet.

Mark
James Diamond
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of James Diamond
Took me and my poor eyesight a little while to find it, but it's nice and clear from around the 5:45 mark when the camera goes off the sticks.

Nice one!
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3054 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Quote:
Who said anything about close up? If I were to use this box for a lottery prediction for example it would be in a stage/cabaret/platform show. Close up I would probably produce the lottery ticket from my wallet.

Mark

I think it looks a little small for a stage/platform show?
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3427 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
Quote:
On Nov 3, 2014, Martin Pulman wrote:
Quote:

Mark

I think it looks a little small for a stage/platform show?

Depends on the size, if I do a cabaret it tends to be between 60 and 150 people. Whilst they may not be able to clearly see the exact contents they will be able to see that the box is clear and has something inside. For a larger stage show this could very easily be projected onto a bigger screen so both the box and it's contents are clearly visible.

I'm fairly confident that for the purpose of holding a lottery ticket which would be tipped out and immediately handed to a spectator to open this would be fine. If the box is positioned stage left and the volunteer is stage right it would make sense me picking up the box and tipping the contents out, great thing with the lid is it should be possible to lift the lid and tip the contents straight into the spectators hand although not really necessary.

I will reserve full judgement until I can see the box in the flesh so to speak.

Mark
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Brŕth
3642 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
Quote:
On Nov 3, 2014, James Diamond wrote:
Took me and my poor eyesight a little while to find it, but it's nice and clear from around the 5:45 mark when the camera goes off the sticks.

Nice one!

Well spotted Hawkeye.

If you look back at previous episodes you'll see many interesting things on the shelves, put there for those in the know to see, signals to the community if you like.

Hidden in plain sight Smile
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » David Penns Mystery Solved (131 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8~9~10~11~12..19~20~21 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.39 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL