The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » David Penns Mystery Solved (131 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9~10~11~12~13..19~20~21 [Next]
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4306 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Quote:
On Nov 4, 2014, Jamie Ferguson wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 3, 2014, James Diamond wrote:
Took me and my poor eyesight a little while to find it, but it's nice and clear from around the 5:45 mark when the camera goes off the sticks.

Nice one!

Well spotted Hawkeye.

If you look back at previous episodes you'll see many interesting things on the shelves, put there for those in the know to see, signals to the community if you like.

Hidden in plain sight Smile

It's kinda like the hidden messages in The Beatles album covers or songs (Paul is dead type of thing).
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Paul is dead man! Miss him...miss him....
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3640 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
If anyone has any outstanding questions about Mystery Solved you'll probably find them answered in tomorrow's WPR. Although the show doesn't usually focus on WMS products an exception is being made this week.

I'll be watching. Will you?
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
Al Straker
View Profile
Grammar Host
Australia
1130 Posts

Profile of Al Straker
I think this is a brilliantly designed prop and it will be useful for those who want to take this route. The strength of this from an audience point of view all hinges on one concept. The box is clear and they can see the card in the box right throughout the routine and the box provides a form of 'isolation' of the object lifting the impossibility of manipulating it somehow during the routine.

So here's some food for thought. What if you were to take an un-gimmicked clear box and have a paper clipped card resting in it. You could ask the spectator to hold the box without fear and even open the lid as you reach in. You can also be extremely clean and fair when removing the card from the box. You then 'execute the business' as you ask them to close the lid of the box and hold out their other hand - perfect misdirection and you simply place the un-clipped card on their other hand as y6ou place the paperclip away in your pocket doing round 2 of 'the business'. Your spectator now has all the 'props' in their own hands and they can be examined to their hearts content. Now ask yourself what the audience has just seen and how they would describe it.....

1. I was given a clear box to hold with a paper clipped card in side it.
2. I chose a card from a deck and signed it, and lost it in the deck, shuffled etc.
3. The magician then asked me to open the lid of the box I was holding the whole time.
4. He took out the card and placed it on my hand.
5. When I unfolded it, this was my signed card!!
6. I checked everything and there was no explanation.

Just some food for thought.....

Cheers
Al
Al Straker
Resident Mystery Entertainer at Multiple Venues
Music & Mentalism Specialty Act 'Completely Mental'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyGhApqnG7I

(Old clip, show has changed quite a bit since then!)

Jazz & Contemporary Musician/Composer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnN3JNmeKns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU_zfOvpneA
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
Can you believe I've been wrong on
1355 Posts

Profile of barts185
Quote:
On Nov 4, 2014, Al Straker wrote:
I think this is a brilliantly designed prop and it will be useful for those who want to take this route. The strength of this from an audience point of view all hinges on one concept. The box is clear and they can see the card in the box right throughout the routine and the box provides a form of 'isolation' of the object lifting the impossibility of manipulating it somehow during the routine.

So here's some food for thought. What if you were to take an un-gimmicked clear box and have a paper clipped card resting in it. You could ask the spectator to hold the box without fear and even open the lid as you reach in. You can also be extremely clean and fair when removing the card from the box. You then 'execute the business' as you ask them to close the lid of the box and hold out their other hand - perfect misdirection and you simply place the un-clipped card on their other hand as y6ou place the paperclip away in your pocket doing round 2 of 'the business'. Your spectator now has all the 'props' in their own hands and they can be examined to their hearts content. Now ask yourself what the audience has just seen and how they would describe it.....

2. I chose a card from a deck and signed it, and lost it in the deck, shuffled etc.
3. The magician then asked me to open the lid of the box I was holding the whole time.

Cheers
Al

Smile Smile Smile
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
6157 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:

The design of the gimmicked prop might be quite brilliant, but as I look at the props design, the prop in my eyes has a major limitation. After the dirty work is accomplished the prop must be left lying on its side. Let the many ardent supporters of the creator thrash me on this (but that's OK with me Smile), but the FACT remains that keeping the box lying on its side simply looks awkward. I am sure people in their good senses will agree with me as to what I am trying to harp and convey from the very first post (on this thread) of mine.

Quote:

Appreciate the nice performance idea using an un-gimmicked clear box with a paper-clipped card placed inside the box.

The same performance idea can be applied but without a paper-clipped card by using Alexander de Cova's Lager Switch, which in my opinion is simply brilliant.

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
TheTableTopTrixta
View Profile
Special user
708 Posts

Profile of TheTableTopTrixta
I have just seen this.

It is flawless in design and operation. The DVD is so well produced, really classy.

This could have been priced higher, a lot higher.

The size is not a problem and I was surprised that angles aren't really a problem at all.

Just my thoughts.
Ps - who is Jamie F? Café legend!
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3640 Posts

Quote:
On Nov 5, 2014, TheTableTopTrixta wrote:
I have just seen this.

It is flawless in design and operation. The DVD is so well produced, really classy.

This could have been priced higher, a lot higher.

The size is not a problem and I was surprised that angles aren't really a problem at all.

Just my thoughts.
Ps - who is Jamie F? Café legend!

I'm not a legend. Just some guy who likes to share the occasional scoop.

Might have more news for you soon Smile
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
I really like the idea of having the card paper clipped in a clear box. It's a bit overkill, but a great idea. My buddy and I debate which is stronger all the time: the Kennedy Box or Paperclipped. I personally like the box, but use both. I use Paperclipped for different applications. I actually don't like the idea of a clear box. I bought Regal's box, but want to get rid of it for many of the reasons listed. This new box has some advantages and some disadvantages. To each his own.
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4191 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
For me personally the limitations aren't a problem as once the item comes out of the box the box becomes dead there should be absolutely zero heat on the box, the prediction should always be the focus not the container used to hold it. Once the prediction comes out of that box if my audience give one, let alone two hoots about the box then I have failed. This of course may not be true when the box is being used for a card to impossible location/transposition type effect. For the type of prediction effect that I am likely to use this for there should be no logical way in which a clear box could have anything at all to do with the outcome.

Even close up I don't think I'd have problems justifying it. I would simply talk about esp testing and test conditions. The prediction needing to be both isolated and fully visible from start to finish. I could probably get some mileage out of talking about the Randi challenge and use the box to illustrate the conditions required to claim the prize. Using this for a lottery prediction then allows me to joke about needing to make my mind up whether to claim the Randi prize or the lottery jackpot.

Let me just add that I am not specifically a fan of David Penn, I did use his fobbed (although his handling on the trailer nearly put me right off), fortunately a far more natural looking handling is pretty simple to achieve. I do have coinvexed 3 although I prefer the QB. I met David for all of about a minute at lads and he seemed like a pleasant chap but I have no relationship or affiliation with DP whatsoever and personally don't care one way or another whether anyone else buys this particular box. I will certainly be taking a close look once it is released with a view to possibly using it myself. At this point in time I have not seen the box in the flesh, only on video.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown and Harpacrown Too are available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3640 Posts

Check out this weeks WPR for a 'close-up' of the Mystery Solved box. Have a look at the last couple of seconds of the video. David shows you exactly what you're getting. He can't be more fair.

Also (scoop) look out for a sly dig at Hidden Hand around the 5.24 mark Smile
rasmus
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland
1696 Posts

Profile of rasmus
This box looks really nice and as clean as it gets.

rather then perform it as a card to impossible location I would do it as a 100% surefire card
prediction. the reason is simple: if the card is allready there in the box and at the end revealed
as the signed card of the spectator, the first conclusion will be, that the card had to be switched.
that imho is a dead giveaway and will burn the whole heat onto the box as a switching device.

if I would do card to impossible location, I would definetly coverup the box with a cloth or similar
item. then I explain that the spectators signed card has vanished out of the deck. after that, removing
the cloth and showing the card inside the box. now tipping out the card to show, that this is the spectators card.

perhaps the gimmick gives the ability to be shown empty at the beginning and then to be covered with a cloth and after that showing, that a card has appeared? that really would be great.

that said, with all clear switching devices, I would never ever show the card allready in the box, when you perform
with a signed card.

just my 5 swiss francs and congrats to david for this nice little device
A World without Magic is a World without Dreams and Hope:)

Creator of: STEEL (performed by Dynamo), X-RAY, Real Coin Bend (performed by Dynamo), Totally Crazy Bands, Rasmus Haunted Deck, MCF CARDS, Jawbreaker, CRAZY CARD CHANGE, POLTERGEIST, STEEL Stage Version,
X-RAY Stage Version
http://rasmusmagic.ch
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4306 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Quote:
On Nov 5, 2014, Jamie Ferguson wrote:
Check out this weeks WPR for a 'close-up' of the Mystery Solved box. Have a look at the last couple of seconds of the video. David shows you exactly what you're getting. He can't be more fair.

Also (scoop) look out for a sly dig at Hidden Hand around the 5.24 mark Smile

Jamie,

Totally agree with you. I like the fact that you can show the box empty and put a note inside and then later take it out. Looks great!
Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
Magic Oli
View Profile
New user
Australia
84 Posts

Profile of Magic Oli
I saw that dig too mr ferguson very funny
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3640 Posts

Quote:
On Nov 6, 2014, Magic Oli wrote:
I saw that dig too mr ferguson very funny

Nice one Oli, you're one of the sharp ones. Smile
Russell Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Hampshire, England
1108 Posts

Profile of Russell Davidson
Looks a good product to me. Glad I don't post here often anymore, nothing has changed, whinging & moaning for pages on end.
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3640 Posts

Quote:
On Nov 6, 2014, Russell Davidson wrote:
Looks a good product to me. Glad I don't post here often anymore, nothing has changed, whinging & moaning for pages on end.

Yes, including you by the looks of it Smile
deanbarlow
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of deanbarlow
Hi guys,
Can the box be shown empty prior to the effect, placed into a cloth bag, gimmick activated, card selected, MCF and then the card tipped out of it?
Thanks in advance.
Sashac
View Profile
Inner circle
1041 Posts

Profile of Sashac
Quote:
On Nov 6, 2014, deanbarlow wrote:
Hi guys,
Can the box be shown empty prior to the effect, placed into a cloth bag, gimmick activated, card selected, MCF and then the card tipped out of it?
Thanks in advance.

Yes.
Russell Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Hampshire, England
1108 Posts

Profile of Russell Davidson
Quote:
On Nov 6, 2014, Jamie Ferguson wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 6, 2014, Russell Davidson wrote:

Yes, including you by the looks of it Smile

Whatever no mark.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » David Penns Mystery Solved (131 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9~10~11~12~13..19~20~21 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL