The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » David Penns Mystery Solved (131 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11~12~13~14~15..19~20~21 [Next]
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
1KJ, quit beating around the bush and tell us how you really feel. Smile
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Videoman,

Was I too blunt? Sorry. I meant to say: "What a slap me up the *** fantastic new product this is! Where can I order three?"

My bad.

KJ
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Quote:
On Nov 7, 2014, 1KJ wrote:
Another one of these boxes? Really? Aren't there enough of these? And who really wants to carry around a box like this to do a card production? David Regal came out with the mondo box, someone else came out with one about the size of a tic tac box (perhaps better), and now we have another that is somewhere in between? At least David Regal's box had a bit of a theme with the "emergency tape" around it. What is the patter for this? "I carry this dorky plastic box with a card in it. Here's your card, but clearly you can't examine my little box. Hey! Get your own dorky box! Let me show you another trick to distract you from my useless box."

Sorry, but why do the products still spew out when the creativity has waned?

KJ

P.S. I totally agree with Martin. This is a forum to discuss both sides of products. Well said, Martin.

And look at this ultra-dorky performance with a wooden, opaque box, which can't be shown to spectators afterwards, cannot be examined, and is super, super dorky in the extreme. [As an arch-dork, I have used this to good effect.]

And he is so lame with his whole suit thing. Doh!

tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Now that is what I call an illusion.
iramayami
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of iramayami
Martin Pulman is not about if debate is good or bad is the infinite defense or objection to a product, how many post on one product do each of us need to post to give our opinion on one product? afte first or second post for the same product I belive we could already know if some one likes it ,is going to use it,recommends it,likes the creators works,give the pros and cons of that product etc. it is pointless to say you love it 4/5 times and viceversa. That also falls into the category of comparing products,most of the working ,pro magicians have seen a version or so of the NEW tricks comming out so theres really nothing new under the sun just new ways to display them present them and on random ocations something that is truly amazing ,like any product in the world it is great to read reviews about the product to get a sense of what we will recoive from our purchase but to read the opinion of a product on the same trend for the same product more than once from any one of us is not really a debate it becomes an issue of one wanting to impose his opinion over the others. with humble respect to all my collages of course my humble opinion.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Whoah there, cowboy...
Paul S Wingham
View Profile
Inner circle
1378 Posts

Profile of Paul S Wingham
I think credit where credit is due. The demo is clear and uncut and lets be honest; shows you exactly what you get. That's pretty rare these days. I think this looks great. Personally I think it has better applications with predictions than it does as a place to reveal a signed card but that's just my opinion.
Magic-Daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
Denmark
1328 Posts

Profile of Magic-Daniel
+1 Paul

I wouldn't use it as a card reveal. Better applications I think
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of puggo
Quote:
On Nov 7, 2014, tomsk192 wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 7, 2014, 1KJ wrote:
Another one of these boxes? ....
KJ
P.S. I totally agree with Martin. This is a forum to discuss both sides of products. Well said, Martin.

And look at this ultra-dorky performance with a wooden, opaque box, which can't be shown to spectators afterwards, cannot be examined, and is super, super dorky in the extreme. [As an arch-dork, I have used this to good effect.]

And he is so lame with his whole suit thing. Doh!

Yes, stick me down as a huge admirer of this ultra dorky performance with the dork-tastic props by the king d-meister..

I think that if a prop works for you, it cultivates interest or whatever, then why should it not be used?
I have no intention of buying this product (I have a few existing dorky variations of this plot already, which I am happy with), but think it looks good and would be great for a test conditions or prediction routine - perfectly motivated.

I personally believe that props help create an effect but the performer brings it to life.
David Regal
View Profile
V.I.P.
828 Posts

Profile of David Regal
I've been pretty much doing nothing but work on The Carbonaro Effect for the past year - I have returned to find my name mixed up a bit in this long thread. As to what prop is good, bad, better, worse... one magician's needs might not be the same as another's. I have not seen the Penn small-clear-box-thing (just saw the demo once), and I have not seen the Dobson small-clear-box-thing (again, just saw the demo once), but if a performer needs a smaller box, there they are. I have no negative comments about them. I do, however, want to be clear (no pun intended) about my own prop, The Clarity Box:

Before I had a method for The Clarity Box, when all I had was an idea of the prop that would be useful to me, I took out a pen and I drew what I wanted. There was no method in my mind at that point, just the image of a clear box that had an "Emergency" label on it, and the box was the same size as it exists now. I wanted the box to be as large as possible, for visibility, and yet still fit into a jacket pocket for close-up work. I wanted the box to be an object of interest, to pique a person's curiosity. I wanted it to have a look like a break-glass-in-emergency chamber or a museum display case. I wanted it to have a little label that could identify what the box was supposed to be in the context of the routine - the premise. Is it a money bank, a prediction, an evidence holder, etc.

As I wrestled with a method, I looked at the elements in play, and came up with the workings as they exist today. But the drawing of what I wanted the prop to be came first.

I cannot discuss other props that have been introduced, but know that The Clarity Box is self-contained. There is nothing to get rid of or hide after the effect has been performed. In fact, I leave the box unattended on the table in front of a spectator.

Over the past year, The Clarity Box has been performed close-up, in stage settings, and has been featured on national television both in the US and abroad. It has fooled millions of people. If a magician finds merit in a prop that is smaller, or larger, or leather-bound, or made of wood - that's great. I'm simply saying that the elements I put into The Clarity Box were intentional.
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3640 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
Thanks for bringing clarity to the thread David.
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Quote:
On Nov 7, 2014, helpful wrote:

Yeah, it would be really bad if advertisers could get a HIDDEN HAND getting threads removed that would damage sales.

Oh get over it! In the Hidden Hand thread the entire method was exposed, including a diagram of the props as worn by a performer. You really thought that should stay up? Or that it was appropriate?

Jim
Ceierry
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1582 Posts

Profile of Ceierry
Is this examinable? I know 3Sixty can be examined after Smile
Author of 10S Star Sign Divination - olivier.ceierry@gmail.com for a digital copy.
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
2051 Posts

Profile of Daren
Why would you want to examine a seemingly empty looking box, you dump card out and place away, the focus should be on the card
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
Why would you have the box examined? There was a card inside...now there isn't. I never hand out a Kennedy Box out after the card is dumped. I casually leave it on the table open. I think putting the clear and obviously empty box in your pocket after the dump is perfectly logical and natural. I'm curious to see some of the mentalism applications.
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Quote:
On Nov 9, 2014, Ceierry wrote:

I'm not trying to be judgemental but it seems people need to get out in the real world and perform. Real people don't challenge every prop or everything a magician does contrary to popular belief. If these things are happening to you, you might want to consider doing something other than magic. One needs to perform with confidence not timidity. Bottom line, the only person who would want to examine a clear box is a magician.
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3640 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
Quote:
On Nov 9, 2014, Steven Conner wrote:
Quote:

I'm not trying to be judgemental but it seems people need to get out in the real world and perform. Real people don't challenge every prop or everything a magician does contrary to popular belief. If these things are happening to you, you might want to consider doing something other than magic. One needs to perform with confidence not timidity. Bottom line, the only person who would want to examine a clear box is a magician.

Smile
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
I don't think examinability is an issue in a professional context. Some spectators may want to examine the box but very few will have the nerve to ask to.
Ceierry
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1582 Posts

Profile of Ceierry
Quote:
On Nov 9, 2014, Steven Conner wrote:
Quote:

Thanks for the answer, first of all, I'm just asking this because on the 3Sixty ad, it says Everything Examinable, and on this one, it don't say, and, watching at the performance, David take the box and put it on his jacket immediatelly after taking the card out of the box (and there is nothing wrong with this, even if it's examinable, it's David performance, not mine)
I'm not assuming I'm the best performer of all the world, but I'm not worried if it's not examinable, like most of us, I know how to manage my audience, and to have a 'nice' presentation.

Thanks for all the answers, If I looked rude or somthing, I'm sorry, it's just, I love what I do, I love performing my magic (I usually perform more mentalism than other styles) and I know, like most of us, how to manage my audience.

Sorry for my bad english btw, I've tried my best.

- Ceierry
Author of 10S Star Sign Divination - olivier.ceierry@gmail.com for a digital copy.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Tomsk192 is exactly right. There have been many excellent versions of signed card to box...I do believe that Tommy had the best and as I said in another thread, Stevie Wonder couldn't examine that box. It's as dirty as dirty can get. It's dirtier than every other version that has been commercially available and yet with proper technique and motivation, it looks incredible. Both Mystery Solved and 3Sixty look good to me, as does Clarity Box, but I have no need for a clear box. If I need a billet switch box, then I'll make a decision.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » David Penns Mystery Solved (131 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11~12~13~14~15..19~20~21 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL