The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » David Penns Mystery Solved (131 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6..19~20~21 [Next]
MagicDamo
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of MagicDamo
I am pretty sure I know the method, if I'm right I think it's a good creative idea and I expect that many people will be pleased with this item. The way you dump the card out of the Mystery Solved box will fly straight by the spectators and putting the box back in your pocket is not suspicious at all as the box is no longer needed at that point, besides where else would they expect you to put the box. I already have the Clarity box which I am pleased with and therefore I will not be purchasing this but if I didn't already have the Clarity Box then I would be tempted.
Willie mcgregor
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of Willie mcgregor
Well said Bobgill
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Brŕth
3642 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
Mystery Solved is the new Hidden Hand.

Let's hype it to the point of bursting then allow the pin prick of reality to pop the balloon of pre-order lunacy.
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6933 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
I don't post a whole lot on here anymore. I just got the email announcing this and clicked on the trailer.

I think it's brilliant. Excellent use of an old principle. Great for use in a formal close up show.

As to the dumping looking "unnatural", that's silly. You're holing the box in your hand and just dumping out a card. Why does it have to be "at the fingertips"? The spectator can clearly see the box is empty.

And examinable, shmamible. Who cares? Do you hand your card to wallet out to spectators so they can examine it after you produce a card? No! For this, you dump the card out, the box is empty, you pocket it. Makes total sense. The spectator doesn't care about the box because they believe the card came from it. What's to examine? The box is totally irrelevant at that point.

Anyway, I love the compactness and elegance of it. Really, really nice. One of the few props of late that I'm actually considering ordering.
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3673 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
For the price I think it would have been better to provide an ungimmicked identical plastic/acrylic box so you can do a simple sw...h in your pocket if needed.

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18496 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I wonder if jay sankey will release an omni-paperclip?
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10533 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On Oct 31, 2014, Ustaad wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 31, 2014, Adam Paul wrote:

Ok, that looks REALLY good! Will be pre-ordering this.

What are the angles like? I'm guessing not as good as the Mystery Box, before, during and after the switch and possibly similar angles to the Clarity Box before, while its on the table?

Can anyone (preferably David) come on and discuss this please?

Before David comes on, let me give it a try. Smile

After watching the demo vid, the 'Mystery Solved' box cannot be examined by the spectator (before, during & after the effect) nor can it be left on the table in its natural upright position. Whereas the 'Clarity Box' has the same limitations but can be left on the table in its natural upright position.

And . . .

The 'Mystery Box' is a wooden box that can be left on the table (before, during & after the effect) and can be handled as well as casually examined by the spectator after the effect.

Hence my personal opinion on the 'Mystery Solved' box, as compared to the other two boxes discussed, has much more limitations/ restriction than the other two boxes. Also, as seen in the demo vid, after the effect is over, one needs to get rid of the box at the earliest.

Sorry, not my cup of tea.

Smile

Interesting. Thanks as always Narendra.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme- "One of the most versatile and well made utility devices I have ever used. Highly recommended." Bob Cassidy www.SvenPads.com
Rus ANDREWS
View Profile
Inner circle
1449 Posts

Profile of Rus ANDREWS
Hi All

I have seen this, its a great bit of kit with so much potential, the ideas mentalism wise have been spinning around in my head, I have to agree with peter turner that the loading for this is brilliant.

As for the examinable bit, whats to examine? you show a clear box, place a folded card in it, perform a bit of muggle magic, card vanishes from your magical palms, attention is guided to the clear box that has had a folded card in it from the start ( which they have been able to see from the start ) you tip it out and hand it to the spec.... they can see the box is empty, Whats to examine?

Great stuff David....

Best

R
CarlMcCoy
View Profile
Elite user
464 Posts

Profile of CarlMcCoy
Ah...ha...okay then. Guess those posts are gone.

In answer to your question Jamie: I don't think I was taking pot shots at those that didn't agree with me. I merely pointed out the errors being posted by some that didn't even own the product. Also answered some questions...that's all.

As for the other thing...i guess you were right seeing as the posts are now deleted.

However, for the record, anyone that's old enough to read some of the stuff posted on this forum is more than old enough to have read that term and not be adversely affected by it.

Peace my scooptastical friend.
ftlum
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, CA
725 Posts

Profile of ftlum
You folks have sharp eyes-- I didn't catch anything in the trailer initially, myself. If I am understanding the nature of the gimmick correctly, it would mean that not only are you restricted to having the box remain on its side, but you also couldn't put it back down on a table after the dump out-- you're stuck holding it in your hand until you pocket it. I could be wrong, but after the dump, you'd also have to be very careful about angles if you're performing for seated spectators; and before the dump, you'd have to make sure no one could see the back of the card in the box. Does that sound right?
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5648 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On Oct 31, 2014, ftlum wrote:
You folks have sharp eyes-- I didn't catch anything in the trailer initially, myself. If I am understanding the nature of the gimmick correctly, it would mean that not only are you restricted to having the box remain on its side, but you also couldn't put it back down on a table after the dump out-- you're stuck holding it in your hand until you pocket it. I could be wrong, but after the dump, you'd also have to be very careful about angles if you're performing for seated spectators; and before the dump, you'd have to make sure no one could see the back of the card in the box. Does that sound right?

Yes - Right! Right!! Right!!! Smile

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET, there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
RSchlutz
View Profile
V.I.P.
474 Posts

Profile of RSchlutz
Quote:
On Oct 31, 2014, IAIN wrote:
I wonder if jay sankey will release an omni-paperclip?

Lol! Smile.

Thank you for that.

Ryan
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1225 Posts

Profile of Jared
One feature that was mentioned at the very end of the trailer that I found interesting is that you can apparently place an object inside the box before going straight into the revelation.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3893 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Well, yeah. Why not? You can do the same with any other box of this genre.

You know, I think that magic producers have been operating a tag-team system with over-hyped pre-order tat for quite some time now.

"Hey, I am about to start hyping a complete load of sh*te that I came up with when I was drunk, and I need to pay child support next month. Do you have anything sh*te that you're planning on releasing?"

"Hi, yeah, funny you should say that, but I also have a truly sh*te product coming out too. It was inspired by looking in the toilet after a chicken vindaloo. How about I release my trailer just when your product starts getting bad reviews? Sound good?"

"Cheers mate, that'd be awesome. Your stupid trailer will bury my bad reviews. Owe you one, yeah?"

Smile
Cole Gross
View Profile
Elite user
Fresno, CA
437 Posts

Profile of Cole Gross
Hey guys,

I know this is already 3 pages deep of HIGH and DESERVING compliments and excitement, but I wanted to post about it as well. David Penn has really struck gold in this version. I was fortunate enough to get a skype view of this and he showed it to us at Hocus Pocus and this thing really is all that everyone has said and more. We could not be more excited for him and know this will be a holiday smash hit. We just listed it for presale at Hocus Pocus to be shipped on the worldwide release date of November 28, 2014. We are offering FREE WORLDWIDE SHIPPING for those who preorder here. If you have any questions please let me know and again congrats to David and his team on a job VERY well done.

http://www.hocus-pocus.com/magicshop/?p=28309

Cole
Cole
Hocus Pocus Magic
Toll Free: 800-407-4040
www.hocus-pocus.com
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6933 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Not all pre-orders are created equal. I would have no problem pre-ordering something like this because I use my common sense to figure out if I would be able to use it or not. If I can use it, why not pre-order it?

Now... If it's a product where the trailer is jumpy and it's by someone you've never heard of and the method looks too good to be true, then don't preorder it. it probably will be junk. Or if I'm not sure what I would be getting, then I wouldn't pre-order. But in this case, because I have a fairly good idea of what I'm getting, I might be so inclined to pre-order it.

I don't get bashing on stores and producers who put out stuff for pre-order. Surely we are bright enough to sort out what's wise to pre-order and what isn't? Or am I expecting too much?

BTW, for the record, I only know Dave Penn in passing. He's always been nice to me but I didn't come on here to pump up his product. I just think this looks really good and practical. Practical is big with me.
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3054 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
I think, all things considered, the increasing ubiquity of pre-orders has been an unhealthy development in the magical arts.
Ray Chelt
View Profile
Inner circle
Changing the world with my
1278 Posts

Profile of Ray Chelt
Yes this one has the hype machine going full tilt and its well regarded by Peter Turner, Rus Andrews and Chris Kavanagh.

But if I ignore all that then the one thing that stands out is that you have an empty clear case at the end of the effect which I cannot imagine is going to raise any interest from spectators. Clarity Box for example has that label before and after which could attract attention.

So it looks pretty good...except for the ridiculous price...no chance I'd pay that even with Chris Kavanaghs recommendation.
genius
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of genius
The use of a prop in this effect is obvious. Who carries clear glass boxes with them? This is not organic mentalism!

Mindblowingly,
Charles
doriancaudal
View Profile
Inner circle
1533 Posts

Profile of doriancaudal
Quote:
On Oct 31, 2014, genius wrote:
The use of a prop in this effect is obvious. Who carries clear glass boxes with them? This is not organic mentalism!

Mindblowingly,
Charles

This post sums everything up! Thank you.
Hands-off ACAAN - freely chosen card and number : http://doriancaudal.wix.com/miracaan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » David Penns Mystery Solved (131 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6..19~20~21 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL