The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » David Penns Mystery Solved (131 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15~16~17~18~19~20~21 [Next]
ChrisCook
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of ChrisCook
That really doesn't matter. It's a discrepancy that no one would notice and the box would be way too small if you did that.
ChrisCook
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of ChrisCook
Also I think Mystery Solved's greatest assets lie in it's mentalism possibilities.
jefferson8888
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of jefferson8888
Quote:
On Jan 7, 2015, ChrisCook wrote:
That really doesn't matter. It's a discrepancy that no one would notice and the box would be way too small if you did that.

Yeah I know it doesn't matter much but I think this would be perfect if the card is same as the gimmick.
C.J.Magic
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of C.J.Magic
Quote:
Also I think Mystery Solved's greatest assets lie in it's mentalism possibilities.

I think there will be some heavy hitters using it just for that.
rowland
View Profile
Inner circle
1316 Posts

Profile of rowland
Quote:
On Jan 7, 2015, jefferson8888 wrote:
Quote:

Yeah I know it doesn't matter much but I think this would be perfect if the card is same as the gimmick.

Are you saying that the card in the box is bigger than an actual playing card or that you would like the box to be smaller. I haven't actually seen it yet, I assumed you could just fold a card up and put it in there but maybe not.
Michael Daniels
View Profile
Inner circle
Isle of Man
1453 Posts

Profile of Michael Daniels
Quote:
On Jan 9, 2015, rowland wrote:
I assumed you could just fold a card up and put it in there but maybe not.

That's not the recommended method.

Mike
C.J.Magic
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of C.J.Magic
Has anyone else tried Mystery Solved with them holding the box? It might be more applicable to those that perform in walk around situations, but I think it's the best way to use this because of the psychological seed that you plant. If there was anything 'tricky" about the box, you wouldn't let them hold it. Just try it once and I think you'll go that way.

It's also small enough that it can easily be carried in a pants pocket for those that don't wear a jacket.
dannywu
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of dannywu
Got it today, amazing mentalism possibilities, great product, highly recommended.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10627 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On Dec 8, 2014, Vlad Grigorescu wrote:
Just got it! Here is my short review:

It's exactly what you would think it is.
It is a genius utility device(not a gimmick, not a trick) that you can use for a lot of things. The standard card trick is not the best thing that you can do with it. The best use, I think, is for mentalism(predictions, switching, etc.) Think of it as a mini clear prediction box.
You can get a folded billet signed. You then put it inside the clear box and leave it on the table or even between the spectator's hands. Then you go through a "dream vacation"-like process or whatever. After that, you take the billet out of the box and BAM! It matches perfectly and you are a god! Smile
In my opinion it is better then all other versions out there.
Brilliant Mr. Penn!

Confabulation - does the DVD mention that as a possibility?
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
sychou
View Profile
Veteran user
314 Posts

Profile of sychou
Is the Box examinable by spectator?thanks
Michael Daniels
View Profile
Inner circle
Isle of Man
1453 Posts

Profile of Michael Daniels
Quote:
On Jan 18, 2015, sychou wrote:
Is the Box examinable by spectator?thanks

No
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
3618 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I recently received this product and now I have to ... eat crow.

I had been negative about it, but after receiving it, and seeing the amount of detail that went into making it just the perfect prop for card to see-through box effect, I am a convert.

I now think this is the best prop of it's kind. I have two other similar props, one larger and one smaller. I'm not commenting on the others, but having worked with all three, I'll just say that this one is the perfect size, works great, the method is simple but designed flawlessly, and I really like it.

KJ
fsharp
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of fsharp
Have you ever had the box examined? Any issues?
simplymagicweb
View Profile
Special user
Norfolk, UK
999 Posts

Profile of simplymagicweb
This is a fab product. All the focus is on the folded card at the end and absolutely no heat at all on the box which just goes in your pocket.

The reactions are amazing.

Simple handling, great effect - what more do you want?

Sometimes we as magicians over complicate things. The examination of the box just doesn't come into play in real performance situations. It's just a clear box!!! Great product.
Magically,

Website - www.simplymagic.co.uk
Twitter - www.twitter.com/simplymagic19
Facebook - www.facebook.com/SeanGoodmanMagician

Creator of Secret Servante, Genetics, Tick Tock, Starstruck, CelebriDate, MagiDate, Focus, SIGMA and R2R
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1711 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
I found that some people *do* want to look at a clear box.

While they may not be looking for a duplicate card in a clear box, they are looking for the secret to how their card got in. An opening, a flap, a.... something to explain it. I place my box on their hand or the table at the end and there is usually someone who picks it up to have a quick look. Of course, this means they are convinced the card was in there which is great...but having a box examinable is most certainly an advantage.
Paragon 3D - the most incredible Card to Clear Box you will ever own. Be fooled here: http://youtu.be/GQxRZ1OGkUo
The Silent Treatment - Digital Edition: this iconic routine just got upgraded! Watch - http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=phTDUhX0m9o
Order the bar-raising DVD set 'Connection' at www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Tommy Wonder must have had it wrong all those years. His box was not examinable.
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3607 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
I have used my Mystery solved countless times and my handling allows me to place it on the table if there is nobody behind me. As yet not one person has been interested in the box after the lottery ticket has come out of the box. Personally I only use the box for predictions and so there is no reason for them to suspect the box is anything other than a container to store the prediction.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Ophiuchus is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=ophiuchus
Totally Free Will is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=totally-free-will
bobgill
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of bobgill
I totally agree with both tomsk192 & Mark_Chandaue:
- Tommy Wonder's Ambitious Card routine culminating in the card folded in the box is the benchmark presentation of this modern classic, and it works because the opaque box's contents surprise the spectators
- the clear box, whichever you choose to go for, is perfect for a billet switch in a prediction effect.

With a little lateral thinking, you can apply to other models the Mystery Solved approach of starting with an empty box and placing the folded item in it in full view, but Mystery solved makes it easiest to do so. It is also, I've come to discover, the best model if you are strolling or repeating the effect many times in a session, because it's reset is a nanosecond.

And Jon Allen is, as he is so often, bang-on: when you leave a prop on the table a spectator will often pick it up, more out of idle curiosity than an attempt to challenge you. The fact that they can do so is a small advantage - but it's not a deal-breaker for me.

To repeat: if you have staged your presentation properly, they are focused 100% on the folded card as you pick up the box. (In fact, Tommy W simply glances at it and the spectators follow his gaze, hence discovering the impending climax for themselves. Delicious moment) Especially as it is back outwards. So if that is the point at which you ditch the box, there should be no attention on you doing so - they are waiting for you to break the tension by revealing what they now suspect [but are muttering 'No way'] - that somehow that card is the one they signed in its unfolded glory earlier on.

If spectators are giving you discomfort at that point you are either getting the blocking of your presentation wrong [and failing to build the tension and anticipation] or (more likely) you're just overly sensitive.

Best
Bob
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3607 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
The is the position I place the box on the table. I have put it on an envelope here for effect. It isn't left there for long I simply pick it up and pocket it whilst their attention is focused on the ticket.

Mark

Click here to view attached image.
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Ophiuchus is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=ophiuchus
Totally Free Will is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=totally-free-will
Raj Suman
View Profile
Veteran user
318 Posts

Profile of Raj Suman
I hear of a new mystery solve with jonathan royal. examine box before and after, it is clearvolution for ten pound now. maybe its good?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » David Penns Mystery Solved (131 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15~16~17~18~19~20~21 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL