The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » David Penns Mystery Solved (131 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7..19~20~21 [Next]
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3053 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Quote:
On Oct 31, 2014, genius wrote:
The use of a prop in this effect is obvious. Who carries clear glass boxes with them? This is not organic mentalism!

Mindblowingly,
Charles

I certainly don't think it feels like a natural fit for mentalism, but Peter Turner has a habit of coming up with unexpected angles so I'm looking forward to finding out what he intends to use this for.

Let's see if Peter can once again think outside the (clear glass) box.
rasp
View Profile
Inner circle
1061 Posts

Profile of rasp
'Organic'??....... I wish people would look up the meaning of that word before using it
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3053 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Quote:
On Oct 31, 2014, rasp wrote:
'Organic'??....... I wish people would look up the meaning of that word before using it

The Oxford Dictionary gives this definition (among others):

Organic (adjective): Denoting or characterized by a harmonious relationship between the elements of a whole: the organic unity of the integral work of art.

Example Sentences:
I took diverse or disparate elements and gave them some kind of organic unity.
The majority of the songs on the album blend each element into a full, organic, and integrated whole.
There is no sense of organic unity in the work as a whole - one is simply taken from event to event, often at speed.
Peter_turner
View Profile
V.I.P.
Bradford, West Yorkshire
1325 Posts

Profile of Peter_turner
Quote:
On Oct 31, 2014, Ray Chelt wrote:
Yes this one has the hype machine going full tilt and its well regarded by Peter Turner, Rus Andrews and Chris Kavanagh.

But if I ignore all that then the one thing that stands out is that you have an empty clear case at the end of the effect which I cannot imagine is going to raise any interest from spectators. Clarity Box for example has that label before and after which could attract attention.

So it looks pretty good...except for the ridiculous price...no chance I'd pay that even with Chris Kavanaghs recommendation.

I'm not hyping anything, you look around the Café I am not one to take part in hype. Why do I need to? I make my money consulting, I've just got back from Holland, was in France the week before and I lectured and performed in Vegas the week before. I have known David penn less than two months, I have NEVER reviewed or looked at any of his material before, I have not been paid one penny for being on the Dvd and do you really think I would be on a dvd adding ideas to something that I thought would be a flop?

If I didn't like it I would have not offered ideas for it.

I have (what I consider) a beautiful presentation, I will film when I get chance, the mechanics I will not be sharing... Why should I?

I am not underestimating anyone and I don't see what the issue is with me saying I like it...

If your happy with what you use and it works for you why change that, if you don't think you can get use out of this don't buy it and if you think it's too expensive then purchase something worthwhile. I'm not here to sell units or sway anyone's decision, I gain nothing if you do or you do not Smile

Like I stated at the start of this the load feature is what struck me about this box.

have a good evening x
Ray Chelt
View Profile
Inner circle
Changing the world with my
1278 Posts

Profile of Ray Chelt
Quote:
On Oct 31, 2014, Peter_turner wrote:
Quote:
Yes this one has the hype machine going full tilt and its well regarded by Peter Turner, Rus Andrews and Chris Kavanagh.

But if I ignore all that then the one thing that stands out is that you have an empty clear case at the end of the effect which I cannot imagine is going to raise any interest from spectators. Clarity Box for example has that label before and after which could attract attention.

So it looks pretty good...except for the ridiculous price...no chance I'd pay that even with Chris Kavanaghs recommendation.

I'm not hyping anything, you look around the Café I am not one to take part in hype. Why do I need to? I make my money consulting, I've just got back from Holland, was in France the week before and I lectured and performed in Vegas the week before. I have known David penn less than two months, I have NEVER reviewed or looked at any of his material before, I have not been paid one penny for being on the Dvd and do you really think I would be on a dvd adding ideas to something that I thought would be a flop?

I have (what I consider) a beautiful presentation, I will film when I get chance, the mechanics I will not be sharing... Why should I?

I am not underestimating anyone and I don't see what the issue is with me saying I like it...

If your happy with what you use and it works for you why change that, if you don't think you can get use out of this don't buy it and if you think it's too expensive then purchase something worthwhile. I'm not here to sell units or sway anyone's decision, I gain nothing if you do or you do not Smile

Like I stated at the start of this the load feature is what struck me about this box.

have a good evening x

Unfortunately, whilst you may be an international globe trotting mentalist of genius levels, your reading skills are rubbish.

Read my opening paragraph again, I don't accuse you of hype.

Back to the Janet & John books for you Peter Smile
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3053 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Peter,

Is it not enough that you are one of the leading figures in UK mentalism? Do you have to rub it in that you're trotting round the globe at the same time!!! Smile
genius
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of genius
You will not be sharing the mechanics of your presentation? So, in other words, purchasers will see you do something amazing on the dvd, but the purchasers will not be afforded the opportunity to learn how to do what you do with this prop?

Mindblowingly,
Charles

Quote:
Quote:

have a good evening x
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3053 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Quote:
You will not be sharing the mechanics of your presentation? So, in other words, purchasers will see you do something amazing on the dvd, but the purchasers will not be afforded the opportunity to learn how to do what you do with this prop?

Mindblowingly,
Charles

Why should they? Peter Turner isn't selling it. I'm much more interested in what he does with it, than how he does it.
dduane
View Profile
Special user
Bridgewater, MA
730 Posts

Profile of dduane
I think that all the "mystery box" type tricks have the same effect on the spectators, who do not look for "trouble" as much as us magicians do Smile I see 2 advantages that Mystery Solved might have. One is to be able to load as well as to remove the card or prediction. The other is for the magician to have a clever gaff - of course spectators don't give a rat's a** about the method. I don't think I would get a bigger reaction from Mystery Solved than from Paperclipped or the other boxes.

Just my opinion.
Dennis
Peter_turner
View Profile
V.I.P.
Bradford, West Yorkshire
1325 Posts

Profile of Peter_turner
Quote:
The use of a prop in this effect is obvious. Who carries clear glass boxes with them? This is not organic mentalism!

Mindblowingly,
Charles

I think there is something to look at here.

If you jump onto the first use for a prop or the first premise you can think of then it is never going to be interesting from an audience's perspective in any sense.

I always think if you took a small table of regular folk and told them they had the ability to read minds for a brief period of time and you handed them a prop (like a spoon) and asked them what they would do with it and they come up with the same premise as a performer then it is expected and only half entertaining (dependant on the performer). These are the quickest explanations that regular (Lay folk, although I have never liked that term) folk would come up with. So naturally they don't interest me.

"What is the purpose of bending a spoon?" Quickest answer - "To prove I can", "you don't have to have a reason you just do it", "Because it's entertaining". All the quickest possible solutions and all lack a premise or an entertaining plot. Does everything need a plot? No, but I think it certainly helps in giving specific props relevance.

I can think of two situations that this box makes complete sense and does nothing but adds to the nature of the effect (as opposed to detracting). Like I said earlier this box is wasted on card to impossible location.

Instead of focusing on why you are carrying a box, focus on why you are using the box in the first place and why it matters to the participant.

In my latest video (just filmed) I used an old pair of shoes for something.. I will let you work out how I made these seem totally natural and when you watch the video hopefully you will agree they suddenly become relevant.

The box should NOT be the thing in question, what goes inside it should be of more relevance.

Anyway chaps, thank you for the thoughts.

Pete x
Peter_turner
View Profile
V.I.P.
Bradford, West Yorkshire
1325 Posts

Profile of Peter_turner
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

have a good evening x

Unfortunately, whilst you may be an international globe trotting mentalist of genius levels, your reading skills are rubbish.

Read my opening paragraph again, I don't accuse you of hype.

Back to the Janet & John books for you Peter Smile

I am far from a genius Smile

Hence why I love children's books so much Smile

In regards to sharing what I will be using the box for that is not on the dvd, why should it be? ..It's not my product and I have no affiliation with it other than the additional ideas I share on the dvd. Giving people something for free (as I make nothing from it at all) should be enough for anyone and before you claim it was not for free as they have to pay
for the dvd I don't make money from that so I gave it for free.

People are buying the prop here, isn't that what is on sale? The dvd should just be the cherry on the cake (or that's how I see it) but I am going to be 100% honest I have never bought a prop..Well I tell a lie, I bought a hotrod when I was 12 it was the bomb. So I am not sure maybe that warrants a thread of its own.

Pete x
Raj Suman
View Profile
Veteran user
318 Posts

Profile of Raj Suman
Quote:
On Oct 31, 2014, Cole Gross wrote:
Hey guys,

I know this is already 3 pages deep of HIGH and DESERVING compliments and excitement, but I wanted to post about it as well. David Penn has really struck gold in this version. I was fortunate enough to get a skype view of this and he showed it to us at Hocus Pocus and this thing really is all that everyone has said and more. We could not be more excited for him and know this will be a holiday smash hit. We just listed it for presale at Hocus Pocus to be shipped on the worldwide release date of November 28, 2014. We are offering FREE WORLDWIDE SHIPPING for those who preorder here. If you have any questions please let me know and again congrats to David and his team on a job VERY well done.

http://www.hocus-pocus.com/magicshop/?p=28309

Cole

I believed what you said about hidden hand and look how that turned out. You are the boy who cried wolf I think.
Peter_turner
View Profile
V.I.P.
Bradford, West Yorkshire
1325 Posts

Profile of Peter_turner
Just to quickly clarify as I think we have our wires crossed here...I did share methods on the dvd and additional uses for the box.

The filming thing I meant I would be recording a video outside of the dvd of me using the box real world. Sorry for the confusion everyone x
Peter_turner
View Profile
V.I.P.
Bradford, West Yorkshire
1325 Posts

Profile of Peter_turner
Oh and Raj, sorry I didn't mean to offend. I read on the fly and misread it brother.

Pete x
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2466 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Its my belief that the longer we are in magic we lose the fun of the mysticism. It is great to share as that is how we learn. Spectators have no idea the kind of things going on in this thread. If you're a real worker you understand this,otherwise the debate goes on.
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
Can you believe I've been wrong on
1346 Posts

Profile of barts185
Quote:
Just to quickly clarify as I think we have our wires crossed here...I did share methods on the dvd and additional uses for the box.

The filming thing I meant I would be recording a video outside of the dvd of me using the box real world. Sorry for the confusion everyone x

What I took your statements to mean is that you would share some methods and additional uses on the DVD, but that you would not be sharing how you plan on actually using this in the real world. Not just video showing you performing it in the real world, but that you wouldn't be sharing how you are planning on actually using it.

And, for the record, I think that is 100% acceptable and personally I'm thankful anytime someone of your caliber is willing to share anything.
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
Can you believe I've been wrong on
1346 Posts

Profile of barts185
Quote:
On Oct 31, 2014, Cameron Francis wrote:

Surely we are bright enough to sort out what's wise to pre-order and what isn't? Or am I expecting too much?

I know you don't post much on here anymore, as per your prior post, but are you on here AT ALL? Smile
baobow
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of baobow
Pre-orders are only worthwhile when a product is released in limited quantities. I don't see that point of pre-ordering a mass produced product that will be available just about everywhere in afew weeks time other than receiving a bonus, which in this case is a DVD.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18820 Posts

Profile of IAIN
...has there been a downsizing of bridges recently? why the sudden influx of trolls on here?
NEW - the bear tear

20-25% OFF MOST THINGS
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/uncle90
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Brŕth
3642 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
Quote:
On Oct 31, 2014, IAIN wrote:
...has there been a downsizing of bridges recently? why the sudden influx of trolls on here?

I think people are getting to the end of their tether with the amount of c*** being released, dealer hype, testimonials from friends and the pre-order rip-off.

Change is in the air my friend.
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » David Penns Mystery Solved (131 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7..19~20~21 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL