The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Fernwood 2Night (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5020 Posts

Profile of landmark
I'm not sure if this series was broadcast nationwide, but it was one the funniest things I've ever seen on television. It was back in the very early days of FOX if I remember correctly. We had a very innovative soap opera satire called Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman which was set in Fernwood, Ohio. Later, a spin-off called Fernwood 2Night came on, with some of the characters from Mary Harman. The premise was that one of the characters from Mary Hartman was host of a cheesy local talk show, and some of the guests were from the Mary Hartman series. It starred Martin Mull and Fred Willard and every week it was a half hour of low key craziness. I came across it on YouTube again because I was looking at Harry Shearer stuff and it turned out he wrote for the series. Here is the premiere half hour episode from 1977. I'm curious if anyone else remembers this series.

HudsonView
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of HudsonView
With bandleader Happy Kine? How could anyone forget. Some of Martin Mull's best work. Yes it was nationally broadcast. I remember the episode where Tom Waits was on and they ended up giving him money for the ride home. Hysterical.
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
I remember it.

I thought Fred Willard was brilliant as Jerry Hubbard.

I also remember when they featured a song from the band (Happy Kyne and the Mirth Makers - Happy Kyne was played by Frank De Vol, who did a LOT of TV music - look for old TV episodes with the credit "Music by De Vol"). The song was "Shake your Booty."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
"One of the things I really like about your shows is, you can always get a good seat."
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5020 Posts

Profile of landmark
"Shake your Booty" is on the clip I posted at 13:30
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I loved that show! (And that metal television snack table.)
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1869 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Right up there with "Soap" and "Hot l Baltimore".
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I agree. In fact, I think that "Soap" was one of the best television series ever. I thought that when it first premiered and was widely condemned and panned by many conservative groups as one of the worst shows on television. Times have changed, though, and the show is now almost universally recognized as being one of the best in the sitcom genre.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5020 Posts

Profile of landmark
For those of you who remember the late night host Tom Snyder, Harry Shearer does a hilarious and uncannily dead-on impression of him on the Fernwood 2Night show:

Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Harry Shearer WAS Tom Snyder! He was that good.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Jack Straw
View Profile
Special user
Wichita
996 Posts

Profile of Jack Straw
I absolutely LOVED that program!

Later on it became "America Tonight", which gave them the opportunity to get guests that were nationally known, instead of just people from Fernwood.

Where else could you breed cats with rabbits and come up with a cabunny?

I'm going to have to watch the pilot again.
Jack Straw from Wichita, cut his buddy down
And dug for him a shallow grave, and laid his body down
Half a mile from Tucson, by the morning light
One man gone and another to go, my old buddy you're moving much too slow
We can share the women, we can share the wine
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Fernwood and Second City were my favorite shows for new and good comedy. I'd forgotten how good these people were...thanks for posting this.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5020 Posts

Profile of landmark
Tom Waits:

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Fernwood 2Night (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL