The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » ON OFF by Nicholas Lawrence and SansMinds (58 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
OzJosh
View Profile
New user
Australia
95 Posts

Profile of OzJosh
Quote:
On Nov 18, 2014, Illucifer wrote:
Thanks, Tom. That's good to know. You have certainly been a great champion of proper permissions and crediting over the years.

atouchofmagic1, no, I have not tried to contact SansMinds or Nicholas. I chose to express this in an open forum because I want it to be known to the community. If they do not take it upon themselves to resolve the matter, I want it on public record. Obviously, this is not the first time they've been guilty of this.

great point and a well respected point.
Magic is the ability to lie and people to love you for it and want you to lie to them again and again and again
www.redtopbox.com.au
^^^^^ has some really cool things on it
Paul S Wingham
View Profile
Inner circle
1378 Posts

Profile of Paul S Wingham
Sadly I'm not surprised by this. I'm not suggesting sans minds stole the idea but their "due diligence" to try to ensure their idea isn't old seems to be somewhat lacking as this has happened Before as I recall. Quite honestly; the only person worse than sans minds at the moment is shin lim!

Perhaps spend a little more time researching before releasing.
ReviewerMaster
View Profile
Veteran user
307 Posts

Profile of ReviewerMaster
Have you seen what they did with the frog trick?
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
What is the frog trick?
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3065 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
Mike close
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
And what did they do with it?
Ceierry
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1582 Posts

Profile of Ceierry
Destroyed every single DVD in public and made a video.
Author of 10S Star Sign Divination - olivier.ceierry@gmail.com for a digital copy.
ralphgironda
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of ralphgironda
Quote:
On Nov 14, 2014, Illucifer wrote:
Chris Kenner called David a creative genius in his book 'Totally Out of Control', and rightly so.

He constantly pokes fun at David Harkey in his book and makes fun of his horrible ideas.

What book were you reading?

Sadowitz, Kaufman, and many others consider it one of the worst books of all time. The vhs tape called "Harkey on Tape" was awful and given horrible reviews.
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1403 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
Ralphgironda, Kaufman's grievance with David was not about the material. He wanted to publish David's book and David said no. As for the other voices, that's their opinion. I don't expect everyone to love it. However, I happen to think that Chris Kenner and Jon Racherbaumer and David Copperfield among many, many others are pretty viable voices. I can speak for the material myself, as well.

No, Chris Kenner does not deride David's material in his book. What are you reading? Go back and have a second look. Yes, Chris pokes fun at David's ego, and, yeah, David was a bit cocky back then.
Now, crack open your copy of Chris' book and turn to the illustration that shows the license plate representing David. It's the one for Eugene, Oregon, and has 'EGO' as the plate number. Tell me what it says right below that in the illustration.

That said, none of what you said applies here. This thread has nothing to do with whether you think David's published material is good or not. It has everything to do with the fact that a piece of his published material has been unethically marketed and uncredited by SansMinds.
It's all in the reflexes.
ralphgironda
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of ralphgironda
Quote:
On Nov 20, 2014, Illucifer wrote:
Ralphgironda, Kaufman's grievance with David was not about the material. He wanted to publish David's book and David said no.

Richard Kaufman wrote on The Genii Forum:
On 11/22/2006 at 07:14 PM

Quote:
I can't recall wanting to publish the book, but it's possible.

Harkey was always too full of himself and thought his methods revolutionary and was sometimes reluctant to give credit.

He came across as egotistical at his performances and lectures. I remember one performance at Fechters of an item that we had been fairly skeptical of in print--something that required the steal of a soda can. And it looked as terrible as we thought it might after reading the book--he just reached around and pulled it out of whatever pocket it was in and it was just dreadful.

I also remember that he completely copped his style of illustrating from mine, including the movement lines, etc.

He made such a big deal out of the book that it could never have lived up to the hype.

There was also some preposterous bragging that the book had been translated into something like 10 different languages, which was just ridiculous.

Some of his material was good, but much of it wasn't.
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1403 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
Again, ralphgirando, this has exactly what to do with the topic at hand?
Nevertheless, I'll humor...

Kaufman clearly states that, indeed, he may have wanted to publish the book, but can't recall. I have no beef with Richard at all. I like Richard a lot. Simply relaying the story as I know it, and he doesn't deny that.

As for crediting, David's book gives proper credit through and through.

And, again, show me where Kenner derides David's material. And I couldn't quite hear you regarding what's written on that license plate illustration in Chris's book. Can you speak up just a bit, please?

Finally, yet again, everything you've brought up has absolutely zero to do with this topic.
JD_UK
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of JD_UK
I understand there is a crediting issue here which needs to be looked at but the reason I'm not paying attention to the David Harkey book is because I'm sure someone said it was hard to find & really expensive! I can't afford the amount that was quoted!
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1403 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
It is out of print for many years and, therefore, often goes for a higher price. Not terribly difficult to come by, though. And the book includes 60 routines, almost any of which could be packaged and marketed as a single-trick dvd in today's market and would fly off the shelves.
johne
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of johne
It was recently listed on "lets make a magic deal" on this website for $150.00.

Kind regards,
John
Ceierry
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1582 Posts

Profile of Ceierry
Any more opinions about the effect?
Author of 10S Star Sign Divination - olivier.ceierry@gmail.com for a digital copy.
Saturn UK
View Profile
Inner circle
2654 Posts

Profile of Saturn UK
Quote:
On Nov 21, 2014, Ceierry wrote:
Any more opinions about the effect?

I don't think anyone is saying it's not good, I think this is great, it's the origins and crediting that are in question.

I still have to hear from someone who has this dvd and the book to know how much overlap there is here, both appear to have multiple handlings etc but are they the same, they may look the same but are they?
www.saturnmagic.co.uk

#theshopwithstock Pleased to be different!

FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/saturnmagic.co.uk
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1403 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
Okay, Saturn UK, I'll say it again. If you know David's routine and method, then one look at the On/Off video will tell you that the method is precisely the same, the only difference being the finger that is used.
James Conti
View Profile
Elite user
My mum isn't too pleased about my
425 Posts

Profile of James Conti
All method similarities aside, let's get back to the actual effect. Mine is coming in about a week and I will write my usual review on my site, which I will link you guys to.

How angly is the effect?
Instant reset?
How durable is the gimmick?

Thank you all,
James

ireviewmagic.weebly.com
Check out my teenage point of view magic reviews here:
http://ireviewmagic.weebly.com

Watch my reviews here - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVbu_9bC71_H8BYM8YL9geg
Sashac
View Profile
Inner circle
1041 Posts

Profile of Sashac
It instantly reminded me of this also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8FsNUXdQMI
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2835 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
Quote:
On Nov 22, 2014, James Conti wrote:
All method similarities aside, let's get back to the actual effect. Mine is coming in about a week and I will write my usual review on my site, which I will link you guys to.

How angly is the effect?
Instant reset?
How durable is the gimmick?

Thank you all,
James

ireviewmagic.weebly.com

The reset is like a sec. There is no gimmick. Angles, not sure yet I haven't had the time to put into it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » ON OFF by Nicholas Lawrence and SansMinds (58 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL