The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Lacking control increases illusory pattern perception (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Nestor D
View Profile
Special user
France (Paris)
796 Posts

Profile of Nestor D
That is a bit of interresting knowledge, "The less control people have over their lives, the more likely they are to try and regain control through mental gymnastics" :

http://insight.kellogg.northwestern.edu/......it_isnt/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mllPKpwNIes

As I understand it : the less control people have over the first part of the experiment, the more likely they are to find a correlation between our magical gesture and the "random events" happening around us, the more likely they are to believe in the laws we give to nature : the easier it is to bend their disbelief...

Quote:
The people who received random feedback on the symbol-selection task, who presumably felt very little control over the task, subsequently reported a greater need for structure in their lives.

This might be worth taking into account when creating an effect.
Sensio
View Profile
Special user
I promise I won't exceed
638 Posts

Profile of Sensio
Really interesting, thanks for the link...

Rgds
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5941 Posts

Profile of george1953
Interesting , not sure what to think about it.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
ProfessorJinksy
View Profile
New user
Italy
93 Posts

Profile of ProfessorJinksy
A spectator very off balance, mentally, will be much more susceptible to influence, for example. I have seen this approach in many examples of mentalism and magic.

Here is an interesting, and not entirely unrelated, article from the NY Times on our need to engage in magical thinking:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/28/scienc......tml?_r=0
backinblack
View Profile
Special user
891 Posts

Profile of backinblack
Quote:
On Nov 1, 2014, Nestor D wrote:
That is a bit of interresting knowledge, "The less control people have over their lives, the more likely they are to try and regain control through mental gymnastics" :

so desperate housewifes are the best spectators for suggestibility-approaches? Smile
hashtagmagic
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of hashtagmagic
People who are made powerless will also be more likely to bump into things on the right.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9051 Posts

Profile of funsway
Since people in general today have less control over their lives than decades ago,
should not any Mentalism effect successful decades ago now be suspect?

Audience change over timer in many ways. This is a new slant on that. (perhaps)

Why then do performers today attempt to emulate methods that worked with a completely different audience?

or, does the fact that some approaches still seem to work suggest that the conclusions of this article or incorrect?
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
DocBenWiz
View Profile
Special user
Meridian, Idaho
909 Posts

Profile of DocBenWiz
Nevermind any specific methods used over the past 75 years, but is not Q & A, in many various contemporary forms of presentation, just as effective with today's audiences as ever? Smile
"Pay no attention to that strange man behind the curtain" (it's only "Doc Benjamin from the Amazing Wizardelia Wagon")
jstreiff
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Profile of jstreiff
If anything, a sense of loss of control in our audiences should improve and enhance the success of mystery performance. If this is not the case - if it is true that despite a richer opportunity for our success we fail to exploit that opportunity - we must critically ask ourselves, why?
John
Sensio
View Profile
Special user
I promise I won't exceed
638 Posts

Profile of Sensio
So in our performances we should aim for darkness, weird sounds and why not some earthquake sensation.

In other words can we truly take advantage of the principles the OP correctly put?
Nestor D
View Profile
Special user
France (Paris)
796 Posts

Profile of Nestor D
Darkness is notoriously effective to improve impact during a seance.

What else can we use ? as the article explains, the way we give feedback to our subject can change deeply his perception...
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1877 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
While this would help a bizarre magician, I fail to see it help a mentalist. When we lose sight in the night, we find patterns for predators, a wink at our species' past when we had to worry about lions and such.

We see it in superstition, when people come up to us believing we are real. I don't think we cause that, I think the belief was already there (in ESP, etc.), and we hijacked it in our show. I personally do not want audience members to accept I am a real mind reader, and am very uncomfortable when they ask me about it. I find there is nothing I can do to convince them I am just an entertainer, short of explaining what I really did, and not always then. Looking like another messiah, and starting my own religion is NOT what I want, nor do I want people giving me responsibility of super powers. I am sure all of us have had the individual that nearly worshiped us for our powers - not my cup of tea. I don't want faith, faith is not entertaining and puts way too much responsibility on me. I'm an entertainer.

What I want is a TEMPORY suspension of disbelief and a nagging question of what really happened during the show.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Lacking control increases illusory pattern perception (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL