The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » UK tv - James Randi documentary (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Martin Joseph
View Profile
New user
UK
70 Posts

Profile of Martin Joseph
A Storyville documentary has just began on BBC4 (channel 9 on freeview).
Martin Joseph
View Profile
New user
UK
70 Posts

Profile of Martin Joseph
This was a fabulous documentary - I'm biased as I do love the Storyville documentary series already though. The programme gave insights into the personal and professional life of Randi. It traced his career with particular focus on Peter Popoff, metal bending and Gellar, and some brilliant footage of the Alpha Project. There are some Banachek and Michael Edwards interviews about their time with Alpha as well as Randi more broadly. Jamy Ian Swiss and the (ubiquitous for any UK show touching on psychics) Richard Wiseman were also talking heads. Lots of archive footage to enjoy of Randi at work and those he chased to debunk.

The personal life of Randi was touching, sad and inspiring. Some really wonderful moments are shared in there.

It should be availble for anyone with BBC iPlayer usage shortly. If the viewing options are the same as usual it should be availble for 28 days. Highly recommended.
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3168 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Look forward to watching it. Thanks for the heads up.
Banachek
View Profile
V.I.P.
Houston
1164 Posts

Profile of Banachek
This Sunday, November 9th, 2014, The New York Times Magazine Section will run an article dealing with James Randi, Deyvi Peńa, and the JREF.
In thoughts and Friendship
Banachek
Campus Performer of the Year two years in a row
Year 2000 Campus Novelty Act
PEA Creativity Award Recipient
http://www.banachek.com
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2847 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Quote:
On Nov 2, 2014, Banachek wrote:
This Sunday, November 9th, 2014, The New York Times Magazine Section will run an article dealing with James Randi, Deyvi Peńa, and the JREF.

Sure, but what will the headline be? Smile
robd
View Profile
Loyal user
255 Posts

Profile of robd
Well worth a watch, a very touching documentary.
de rome
View Profile
New user
UK/NORWAY
71 Posts

Profile of de rome
This documentary was one of the BEST things this year on television,
I was Glued to it and would love to see another program like it
you will never find a better quality HEAT / HOTSPOT / HYPNO HEAT as mine anywhere else, ITS REALLY GOOD... here is a link to the effect NEW WEB SITE AND TO ORDER
http://www.cdrmagic.com/heat
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17584 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I can't wait to see it! But this is the wrong section for the announcement as many have pointed out.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Funnybaldbloke
View Profile
Veteran user
Blackpool, England
377 Posts

Profile of Funnybaldbloke
This was wonderful, a great documentary.
Tomorrow's bottom of the bill...Today!
lin
View Profile
Special user
California
820 Posts

Profile of lin
I believe this is the documentary:

http://anhonestliar.com/wp/

Unfortunately, the site hasn't been updated recently.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Different documentary, Lin. This was an internally produced BBC one. But thanks for the link.
lin
View Profile
Special user
California
820 Posts

Profile of lin
Thanks Tony. The producer and director are the same in both productions, so I made an assumption.
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5942 Posts

Profile of george1953
Would love to see it, anyone know of a way I can get. IPlayer won't work in Spain. :-(
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
jstreiff
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Profile of jstreiff
It appears the BBC will not allow playbacks of this piece anywhere except within the UK.
John
Steve Knight
View Profile
Elite user
Oxford U.K.
476 Posts

Profile of Steve Knight
According to http://web.randi.org/ this programme was "An Honest Liar" but under a different title.
Banachek
View Profile
V.I.P.
Houston
1164 Posts

Profile of Banachek
The directors told me it was the same.. was supposed to air at a later date. The list of festivals can be seen at the www.anhonstliar.com site. Not all are there.. in fact I will be at the Key West Film Festival myself coming up.. Will also perform a mini show there.
In thoughts and Friendship
Banachek
Campus Performer of the Year two years in a row
Year 2000 Campus Novelty Act
PEA Creativity Award Recipient
http://www.banachek.com
Circusman
View Profile
Special user
Kent, England.
571 Posts

Profile of Circusman
Missed this.
When was it shown ?

Is there a link for it ?

Bobby.
Steve Knight
View Profile
Elite user
Oxford U.K.
476 Posts

Profile of Steve Knight
Dreda
View Profile
Loyal user
France, Paris
274 Posts

Profile of Dreda
We can see it on a t*r**t website :

"Hi,
I'm one of the filmmakers of this documentary. We are in deeply in debt from the cost of making this film. It has not been released for sale yet but the BBC broadcast it before we wanted them to, making it available for piracy.

We made this film because we believe in the subject and want you to see the film, but the only way we filmmakers can keep making film like this is if we don't lose money in the process.

AN HONEST LIAR will be shown in movie theaters in the US, made available for download via iTunes and other sources and purchase with extras on DVD. Please note that this pirated version as broadcast by the BBC is NOT the full theatrical cut of the film.

Of course I'd prefer that you wait to see it in movie theater and have the real intended experience, or buy the DVD/bluray/itunes full version of the film when available.

But please: if you insist on pirating our film I ask that you at least go to www.anhonestliar.com and
either:
- buy the digital download, DVD or Bluray
- donate $5 or as much as you can spare to the production
or, when it does come out on iTunes / Amazon video etc. buy a copy to support us.

We're not Hollywood filmmakers making loads of money, we're not a big rich company that won't feel the loss of income, we're just a couple of guys trying to survive and make films we think are important. If we can't pay off our debts we won't be able to keep making docs like this.

Thank you."

BBC is stupid...
"I know that I know nothing" - Socrate
Dreda
View Profile
Loyal user
France, Paris
274 Posts

Profile of Dreda
@Banachek : I love your work. I hope we will can see you on "penguin live" one day; not for your routines, but for the pleasure of seeing you. Smile
"I know that I know nothing" - Socrate
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » UK tv - James Randi documentary (7 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL