The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How to Start and End a Show (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Robbie_Sales
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of Robbie_Sales
I am performing at a high school. For a high school audience and I am trying to put together a show. I need some help.
Invisticone
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of Invisticone
What types of magic are you proficient at? Which tricks can you do? How long is the show supposed to be? How big is the setting? etc?
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
How many times do you plan on making this same post?

It is getting old.
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Nov 3, 2014, Robbie_Sales wrote:
I am performing at a high school. For a high school audience and I am trying to put together a show. I need some help.

"I am performing" --that's present tense! You are NOT PERFORMING!! as evidenced by your posts early last month, You WANT to perform. You don't HAVE a show to perform.

You need help? Yes, you certainly do need help.

You appear to think that there are people in the Café that are ready, able, and willing to do for you what you should be doing for yourself.

When I was 13, I booked my show at the local Junior High School. I booked it on percentage, It was 1945. I did a 40 minute show, that I had produced by myself. I made $26.00. That would be about $260. today. The resulting good publicity brought more bookings. My buddies were getting fifty cents an hour sacking groceries. I was getting ten to fifteen dollars for a 30 minute show.

There wss no magic Café, to help. I did it by myself. I read books that were available in the public library. I made the few props that I had, I practiced the tricks. Then, I rehearsed the show. Then, I booked the show. Then, I performed the show.

There were no video tapes, DVDs. There was no internet. There was no free help in a magic Café. There were no mentors in my home town, or even my part of the state. Mentors came later, when I had proved that I was serious, had done my "homework", and was willing to work to learn about performing magic.

Several of us offered a bit of guidance when you made your first posts. You ignored our guidance.

If you insist on charging ahead you most likely will fall on your butt, in front of your peers. (Not a pretty sight.)

Most of the members in the Café, are ardent amateurs. ("Amateur" from the Latin "amatus" means "loved"). Most of them love their hobby. Most of them perform casually for their friends. Only a few are part time or full time professional performers. THEY know how to produce, book,and perform. They may offer encouragement, but they are busy making a living. I doubt that many, if any, have the available time or willingness to help someone who is crying "help", but is unwilling to help himself by studying practicing and rehearsing.

I did not book the show BEFORE I had studied those books, made the props, practiced the tricks, and rehearsed the show.

I suggest that you do some serious thinking!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
Dick, why waste your time again?

It is obvious that this kid just doesn't get it.
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Nov 3, 2014, Kabbalah wrote:
Dick, why waste your time again?

It is obvious that this kid just doesn't get it.

Yes, I think you are right.

I laid it out rather plainly. I hate to see any one make a fool of himself in front of his peers. --And, that, is what's going to happen, if he continues .

My post is the last effort to wake him up!

On the wall of the SHOWMEN'S LEAGUE OF AMERIDA clubroom in Chicago, hangs an old fashioned "sampler". Lettered on the samplerl is a six word statement:

YOU CANNOT SMARTEN UP A CHUMP!

He is acting like a chump, and will be a chump if he tries to entertain a Senior High School audience.
MichaelJae
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of MichaelJae
Dick nailed it!! If you come to the Café and seek guidance on how to put together a show, you are obviously not ready. A true professional would already know how. However, to answer your question, you shouls start with a bang and end with a bang.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
So that's what my problem was! (I only had one bang, and it was in the middle!) Sheeesh!
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
I haven't had a good bang🎇. For years Smile
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Magic Oli
View Profile
New user
Australia
84 Posts

Profile of Magic Oli
It's really not that hard to find an effect to start and end a show, it's like a story or movie, the opening sequence must be captivating and the end must be amazing and exciting. Not rocket science haha. You can't expect everyone to do the work for you
Robbie_Sales
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of Robbie_Sales
Dear everyone

Thanks for the advice if you gave me any. I am not trying to annoy anyone or make an one frustrated. I am a magician that has been in the practice for 5 years and am just looking for guidance to the next step. I have no one to help me that I can physical talk to my teachers are books. I go home after school and read and learn. My problem is that I only have books with tricks in them. I am sorry for apparently wasting your guys time. I just need some guidance if would like to give any.
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1723 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Robbie-Sales,

Following another of your topics I've send you a private message that you've left unread... Why ?

My friend Dick has given you at least three times already more then some guidelines and great suggestions, as have many others, me included...

You say your problem is that you only have books with tricks, so why don't you get a book that deals with presentation, routining an act or a show... ? If I remember correctly, a few were suggested to you already. If not, please correct me.

I give you another hint : Go into the "New to magic" section here on the Café, you'll find some very interesting topics that could help you.

The Magic Café is a great place, BUT it's not only made for asking short questions in hope that other will do your work, by giving you straight answers. Magic isn't like mathematics where you learn that 2 + 2 = 4 and that's it. Magic is an art, which means you need to think about it, what it represents to you, what it looks to you in your imagination, how you feel about it etc...

Go out and read, explore, study, learn, practice the magic...Come back and ask questions about what you've read, what you've learned to be sure you understood correctly... Continue to explore, to learn, to practice the magic and put a little show together, even a short one, rehears it and present it on front of your family and selected friends.

Tell us more about you, your magic, what you like in magic, what you did in magic, more details... Share your experience in magic with us, as small as it might be... Don't be afraid, everyone started small some day, made mistakes, failed but stood up stronger by having learned from errors and trials.

Then, and only then we might be assured that you're seriously interested in the art of magic.

I've got a last question for you : Why did you wrote "Thanks for the advice, if you gave me any" ? You got advice, plently of advice already, in this new topic and in others where you asked similar questions.

So I seriously hope to read you with some more information and data concerning you, your magic etc...then just saying that "you're a magician that has been in the practice for 5 years".

I hope I didn't sounded too harsh.

Please reply.

Oliver.
Robbie_Sales
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of Robbie_Sales
Thank you Oliver Ross

I think I rushed into the Café without knowing what it was all about. I do thank you for you advice and Dick's. I will go over to the New to Magic section and read up. Thanks for your help and the confidence that you gave to me to move on.
Robbie_Sales
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of Robbie_Sales
I wrote "Thanks for the advice, if you gave me any"

Becasue I felt some people just jumped into this post to talk down at me.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Robbie:

It took one day less than three weeks, but apparently, you are beginning to "catch on". I'm glad.

S. H. Sharpe said (long ago): "Those who think that magic consists of doing tricks, are strangers to magic. Tricks are only the crude residue from which the lifeblood of magic has been drained."

You came on in October, more or less bragging that you were a magician with five years of experience. --and, then asked questions that revealed you may have been doing tricks for five years, but you were not yet a magician. Some of us made an effort to point out a few things, and you never bothered to reply.

I'm pleased that you have begun to realize, at least a little, that there is more to being a magician than doing a few tricks.

What books have you read? What tricks do you "know" (I didn't say, "perform".) Have you ever stood up in front of a group, and done a "show" (not, just a few tricks!)

About ten years ago, Ken Weber published,"Maximum Entertainment". Ken discusses and explains many of the topics you need to know about.
Address: KEN WEBER PRODUCTIONS 1983 Marcus Ave. #221 Lake Success,NY 11042 [ www.ken-weber.com ] [ maxent@ken-weber.com ] I think the book price is about $40.00.

Where do you live? PM me, if you prefer keeping that confidential,

I have mentored many young men in the past 70 years. A half dozen or so, are now successful professionals. One of them even trouped a show that needed a semi truck to carry it down the road. Others do a suitcase show. The others are active part time professionals, or avid amateurs.

None of us here can TEACH you ANYTHING! We can HELP YOU TO LEARN, but, you must realize that learning is an active process. Sophocles said it a few millenia ago: "ONE LEARNS BY DOING THE THING"!

The ball is now in YOUR court!

Dick Oslund
charliemartin
View Profile
Special user
Rapid City, SD
722 Posts

Profile of charliemartin
All great advice for this young man. I would add The Show Doctor by Jeff McBride. Use the Magic Café as a resource, check out all the departments and start reading. We are here to help but you need to some of the groundwork for yourself.
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
NVM...wrong thread.
~Cliff Green

~ John Northern Hilliard
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2286 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Quote:
On Nov 26, 2014, Robbie_Sales wrote:
I wrote "Thanks for the advice, if you gave me any"

Becasue I felt some people just jumped into this post to talk down at me.

Exposing your weak areas is not "talking down".
It it instead one of the greatest gifts you will ever have.

Ed
Mortimer Graves
View Profile
Special user
New Orleans, Louisiana, U.S.A.
556 Posts

Profile of Mortimer Graves
Quote:
On Nov 3, 2014, Robbie_Sales wrote:
I am performing at a high school.

I am so sorry.

XD

I only hope it goes better than the shows I once did for similar audiences.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds.

Hastur, Hastur, Hastur! See? Nothing hap-

...and if we rub each other the wrong way, let's try going in another direction. - Pokey the Porcupine
krowboom
View Profile
Elite user
Chicago area
441 Posts

Profile of krowboom
I missed the previous posts from Robbie_Sales that others referred to but isn't everyone being a little harsh and patronizing to this guy? It's usually a freindly bunch on the Café.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How to Start and End a Show (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.3 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL