We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Sealed by Menny Lindenfeld (31 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10~11 [Next]
rikio
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of rikio
Magic effects are the only products that you don't know what you're buying until you've bought them..
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
5588 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Nov 4, 2014, magicattorney wrote:
I ordered mine today. Said it was not available until the 10th on the web page but it has already shipped. Hope to get it by Wednesday.
I was looking for reviews but it looks so good. We'll see.

Looking forward to some reviews from actual owners.
Burf
View Profile
Regular user
Adelaide, South Australia
140 Posts

Profile of Burf
Sometimes knowing how it I done can be a real disappointment.
HOWEVER, when you see the faces and reactions of your audience when performing - magic returns!
To your audience in their amazement and astonishment and to you in the form of the pleasure they receive.
As my daughter tells me, she knows how I do all my effects - BY MAGIC - and that is all she wants to know.
If only all audiences were like that - by the way she is a 27 year old lawyer and mother!
fcchief1
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of fcchief1
I watched the trailer twice and was amazed both times, and thought this is what the spectator is going to see and remember. Enough for me, to pre-purchase. I work mostly small parties, local pubs etc. Am hoping somehow I might be able to routine this with the V Deck. Killer ending to a routine!
Cassidy001
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of Cassidy001
I ordered and should hopefully get it by Wednesday. I am hoping that it actually looks that amazing in real life. I'll find out next week.
"You want to know the secret of the world. It's this: save it, and it'll repay you, every second of every day."
--Axel Brass
Sashac
View Profile
Inner circle
1021 Posts

Profile of Sashac
Trailer just gave me an idea for a method to do something extremely similar in aesthetics. To develop....
BCE
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of BCE
Refills already sold out? Really? Is this a Penguin exclusive, or can I get them anywhere else?
Cohiba
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
749 Posts

Profile of Cohiba
In my opinion, I don't think the signature is that important in effects like this where the effect is impossibly clean.

When I watch this, it seems like the object never leaves your sight, so a switch wouldn't be suspected, and the signature makes no sense. (What purpose does signing the card serve?) In fact, it almost points to the method, in that it suggests the card could have been switched.

Maybe I'm wrong, but to me the effect is that you have their card in their hand, it melts through the cellophane, and you give it back. How could it have switched when the magician wasn't touching it and it never left my sight? If I buy this, I'm going to test it out without the signature and see if anyone ever makes a comment about it being a different card. I highly doubt it.

I feel the same way about some of the very clean T&R card effects, such as The Reformation. I get it that the signature adds a level of impossibility for magicians, but do lay people ever suspect a switch when the card never appears to leave your sight and fuses together like the magician is describing? Again, watching like a layman - the card is ripped into 4 pieces, then one by one they fuse back together. There is nothing that suggests (or appears plausible) that a switch would even help the effect as it's put together piece by piece. Retrograde analysis may say that he must have switched it, but then logic cancels that out because how is a switch going to explain a half card to a 3/4 card, then back to the full card? Plus he had a free choice of cards to begin with?

I believe a signature should be used when the card is somewhere where it shouldn't / couldn't be, like card to impossible location. Not when it's where it should (and appears to) be.

I don't know, maybe I'm off my rocker, or maybe I'm just a good layman.

Does anyone else agree?
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
5588 Posts

Profile of videoman
Yes, I agree with you Cohiba.
SeAraujo
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of SeAraujo
Me too, Cohiba.
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1694 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
One thing you should be careful about when quoting search results is that Google tailors each search based on the machine being searched from and it's browsing history/cookies/purchases etc. You as a magician looking at magician-y things will get different results from your browser than someone on a different machine or perhaps even using a different browser on the same machine.

Quote:
On Nov 7, 2014, SittinDuK wrote:
For what it's worth I had no idea about the Café until it was mentioned to me after attending IBM ring meetings for a couple of months. I think most people who might stumble onto the Café that aren't magicians are probably going to type in Blaine or Brown find 20 pages of magicians arguing and forget all about the websites existence. If they're searching on google for 'signed card into the cellophane of a card box' they're going to see Sealed by Menney Lindenfeld as the 4th link down (as I'm typing this). If they then choose to click that link and your performance was anything like the one in the demos then well they know you did it with something you can buy.

If however they type 'signed card into the wrap of a card box' they're going to have to wade through pages of pinterest and etsy links. So if I end up using Sealed I shall never mention the word cellophane, pretty much how I don't call a Faro a Faro around lay people.

There are some things that I think need full exposure before you can make your own mind on whether you want to purchase that item, however I think a lay person only needs to know that you can buy something that accomplishes the feat they saw to decide that's how you did it regardless of whether that is the method you used.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
BCE
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of BCE
Quote:
On Nov 8, 2014, Kaliix wrote:
One thing you should be careful about when quoting search results is that Google tailors each search based on the machine being searched from and it's browsing history/cookies/purchases etc.

Google's useless when looking for refills. Refills are all sold out. How can the refills be sold out when there's plenty of the DVD's available? It doesn't get any more cart-before-the-horse than that. If anyone has suggestions for a Google search term for finding refills to go with the DVD (now that I'm kicking myself for failing to add it to the cart), I'm all ears.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
5588 Posts

Profile of videoman
I don't think it's that they're sold out, just not available yet.
The DVD & gimmick starts shipping Monday AFAIK, although a couple folks said they were told theirs had shipped last week.
Not sure what the deal is.
Cassidy001
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of Cassidy001
I was able to add refills onto my order when I ordered from Penguin. Hopefully they will all ship together. I wanted free shipping so I tossed Octopalm in too.
"You want to know the secret of the world. It's this: save it, and it'll repay you, every second of every day."
--Axel Brass
Trevah Whateva
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of Trevah Whateva
Sorry for the out of stock scare on the refills, fellahs. These flew off the shelf faster than we anticipated. Luckily we should have more coming very soon.

Grab them while you can! At this rate, this next shipment will likely sell out as well.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/4900

ps. I've had a chance to play with this for the last few days...it's so much fun to perform and I have fried a few brains already. Laymen's stand no chance.
Cassidy001
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of Cassidy001
Are refills being released the same day as the full product? I didn't evem think about that. Penguin ships the products when everything on the invoice is present. uh oh.
--Axel Brass
Trevah Whateva
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of Trevah Whateva
Cassidy: If you were able to order the refills prior to them going out of stock, then they should should out with the rest of your order.

Any "REFILL" orders placed after my last post will be part of the next batch (which should be here in a matter of days).
Cassidy001
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of Cassidy001
Quote:
On Nov 9, 2014, Trevah Whateva wrote:
Cassidy: If you were able to order the refills prior to them going out of stock, then they should should out with the rest of your order.

Any "REFILL" orders placed after my last post will be part of the next batch (which should be here in a matter of days).

Thanks for that info. I appreciate that.
--Axel Brass
FrankieF
View Profile
Veteran user
So Cal
334 Posts

Profile of FrankieF
What if we all went back and talked about the effect like civilized mature people instead of arguing like little kids?
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
5588 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Nov 9, 2014, FrankieF wrote:
What if we all went back and talked about the effect like civilized mature people instead of arguing like little kids?

Are you sure you meant to post this in this thread?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Sealed by Menny Lindenfeld (31 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10~11 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL