The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » HACAAN and Bob Cassidy (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
genius
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of genius
I noticed that Bob Cassidy has provided a glowing review on HACAAN. Here is the video: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/4804

My question is, Bob what about HACAAN impressed you compared to other ACAANs? It seems like there is a new ACAAN coming out to the market every day.

And also, is the video that is seen reflective of what can be expected (in terms of simplicity of process) in each performance? If not, it would have been nice to have the opportunity to read that from HONEY in the ad copy, saying that the video presents the "best case scenario", or something to that effect.

Finally, what are the odds that...noooooooooooooo, just kidding...let's not go there! haha Smile

Thank you for your insights.

Mindblowingly,
Charles
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I wish I could answer that fully. The creator posted a video of the effect on a FaceBook forum. I commented that I thought it was very well done and that I liked it. I had no idea that my reaction would be used as an endorsement of any kind.

I have no idea how the effect was accomplished, so obviously I can't endorse the method.

I've got to learn to be very circumpspect when I give encouragement to others.

I was not asked for an endorsement and was surprised to see my words in an ad.
genius
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of genius
Thanks for your response, Bob, and I'm sorry that your reaction was used as an unauthorized endorsement.

I will let others chime in others who are more familiar with HACAAN chime in about the video.

Thanks again, Bob.

Mindblowingly,
Charles

Quote:
On Nov 4, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
I wish I could answer that fully. The creator posted a video of the effect on a FaceBook forum. I commented that I thought it was very well done and that I liked it. I had no idea that my reaction would be used as an endorsement of any kind.

I have no idea how the effect was accomplished, so obviously I can't endorse the method.

I've got to learn to be very circumpspect when I give encouragement to others.

I was not asked for an endorsement and was surprised to see my words in an ad.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

That said, I DO like the effect as seen on the video. But that's all I've seen, just like the rest of you.
genius
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of genius
And Bob, I think it's more than just you whose name has been unwillingly attached to HACAAN. If you read the full ad copy, it says this: "If you like the mentalism style of Genius personalities like PETER TURNER , COLIN MCLOID , MAX MAVEN , then here is something for you." Therefore, I am now beginning to suspect that HONEY engaged in bad business practice by putting your and other names on his product, when he did not receive the authorization to do so.

Mindblowingly,
Charles
genius
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of genius
Understood. It does look good, but my fear is that what is shown is only the best case scenario.

Mindblowingly,
Charles

Quote:
On Nov 4, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
That said, I DO like the effect as seen on the video. But that's all I've seen, just like the rest of you.
Investigative Mentalist
View Profile
Special user
Seattle, WA
565 Posts

Profile of Investigative Mentalist
I got this endorsement from Bob Cassidy in an email (I edited it a little)

"Steve ... is the ... best ... mentalist ... performer ... I have ... ever ... seen." Smile
genius
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of genius
I got this endorsement from Bob Cassidy (I have made no edits, whatsoever) Smile

"Charles knows nothing about probability and statistics. If you buy his ACAAN, the odds are 100% that it is something you won't enjoy."

LOL...I love having fun with you, Bob. You're funny. You know, in a good way. You know, you're just...funny! Smile

Mindblowingly,
Charles

Quote:
On Nov 4, 2014, SeattleSteve wrote:
I got this endorsement from Bob Cassidy in an email (I edited it a little)

"Steve ... is the ... best ... mentalist ... performer ... I have ... ever ... seen."
rasp
View Profile
Inner circle
1122 Posts

Profile of rasp
I took the plunge and purchased this, and to be honest I wish I had saved my money. It would not be fare for me to give specific details as to why, as that would tip the methods used. Don't get me wrong, I am sure many people will be happy, but its just not for me.

However, it has started the creative juices to flow as to how I might tweak it for me personally. Think its a case of each to his own.

Rasp.
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
Makes me doubt all of the product endorsements on their site.
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
Colin
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1355 Posts

Profile of Colin
Just glad they weren't referring to me! Otherwise ... that would awkward to refer to someone and not even spell their name correctly. Smile

Colin McLeod.
Check out Psych-Artist.com now for free essays and other resources.
TheGingerWizard
View Profile
Special user
733 Posts

Profile of TheGingerWizard
Yep, Colin McLoid is an Irish mentalist, not Scottish! ;-P
MagicKingdom10
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of MagicKingdom10
Quote:
On Nov 5, 2014, Colin wrote:
Just glad they weren't referring to me! Otherwise ... that would awkward to refer to someone and not even spell their name correctly. Smile

Colin McLeod.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Thank you for that video Genius, the effect does look perfect doesn't it? If it plays out like this in every performance, it is the Holy Grail no doubt. Since spectators cut the cards rather than shuffle, it could be partially forced with short cards or crimps etc. In the instances when the spectator did not cut to exactly where you want, you could always "fix" it easily saying something like "I'll also help you cut the cards too" and in the process cutting to exactly the stack you want. This is easy with shorts and crimps and it usually flies past most laymen Smile

I laughed at the description below the video. "HACAAN is one more small contribution for the never ending search of The Holy Grail of Card Magic." Why is it never ending when he just demonstrated to us that he did end it! Doesn't it logically tell us that this performance is only the best case scenario demonstration? Despite everything, I love it!
I Love You God Smile
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1566 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mindbender
I you love it, why would you speculate on methods in a public, searchable forum?
MagicKingdom10
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Quote:
On Nov 5, 2014, Mr. Mindbender wrote:
I you love it, why would you speculate on methods in a public, searchable forum?

It is mere speculation, I am sorry if you find it offensive. I hope I am free to give my opinions about a trick from outside observation of the performance. I can delete it if you want, please tell me how to do so Smile

I can no longer edit that post as it is beyond the 30 minute editing allowance.
I Love You God Smile
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1566 Posts

I'm not offended... My only point is that I don't think you'll get much discussion in Penny because it is open and searchable by the public. Inner Thoughts is a better place since it's more private.
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1566 Posts

In fact, there is already a thread about this effect there.
MagicKingdom10
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Quote:
On Nov 5, 2014, Mr. Mindbender wrote:
I'm not offended... My only point is that I don't think you'll get much discussion in Penny because it is open and searchable by the public. Inner Thoughts is a better place since it's more private.

Thank you for this advice Mr. Mindbender, I shall do this when I post my speculations in the future. Regarding this effect I still don't know how it was done, I mean he never touched the cards after the name and number are called out!! That is mind-blowing! On the Penguin website below the video someone asked whether this effect could be done with a borrowed deck, the answer was a definitive "NO" so I suspected a stack. However even with a stack, it still does not explain the hands-off counting which I think is the key selling point here. I'm sorry once again for speculating on the wrong forum.
I Love You God Smile
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

I always laugh when I hear the question- "But can it be done with a borrowed deck?"

At what performance venues, exactly, would one expect audience members to have their own decks of cards with them?

Magic clubs? Or just "hanging out" with magician friends?

Realistically, I think most professional performers would respond, "Who cares?"
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I've always thought it odd...you don't get a carpenter turning up and asking to borrow a spirit-level and saw...

though there was that one time in the 70s when Karen popped round...she never did return the saw...
I've asked to be banned
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » HACAAN and Bob Cassidy (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL