The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » HACAAN and Bob Cassidy (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I did an ESP card effect once and a magician asked, "But can it be done with borrowed ESP cards?"
MagicKingdom10
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of MagicKingdom10
Quote:
On Nov 5, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
I always laugh when I hear the question- "But can it be done with a borrowed deck?"

At what performance venues, exactly, would one expect audience members to have their own decks of cards with them?

Magic clubs? Or just "hanging out" with magician friends?

Realistically, I think most professional performers would respond, "Who cares?"

Hahahahahahahahahahaha, you are quite right! I have never heard this question myself during any of my performances, it is simply not a question a layperson would ever ask. The fact that the HACAAN could not be presented with a borrowed deck should not weaken the effect practically speaking. Regarding Bob Cassidy's endorsement, the fact that his name was listed in the very first line reveals how well-respected and publicly acclaimed he is in the mentalism community. His reputation is gold and so to have his precious endorsement would help magicians/mentalists sell their products no doubt! I wonder if he would have endorsed Honey anyway if he had asked for permission first!
I Love You God Smile
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
5496 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Nov 5, 2014, MagicKingdom10 wrote:
Quote:
I always laugh when I hear the question- "But can it be done with a borrowed deck?"

At what performance venues, exactly, would one expect audience members to have their own decks of cards with them?

Magic clubs? Or just "hanging out" with magician friends?

Realistically, I think most professional performers would respond, "Who cares?"

Hahahahahahahahahahaha, you are quite right! I have never heard this question myself during any of my performances, it is simply not a question a layperson would ever ask. The fact that the HACAAN could not be presented with a borrowed deck should not weaken the effect practically speaking.

True for formal performances absolutely, but if visiting with lay friends and perhaps playing a friendly game of cards it would no doubt be of benefit to be able to perform this effect with the deck in use.
But of course if it required a complex set-up then you wouldn't want to do this effect anyway.
MagicKingdom10
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Quote:
On Nov 5, 2014, videoman wrote:
True for formal performances absolutely, but if visiting with lay friends and perhaps playing a friendly game of cards it would no doubt be of benefit to be able to perform this effect with the deck in use.
But of course if it required a complex set-up then you wouldn't want to do this effect anyway.

I agree videoman, luckily most of the time I use my own cards when performing and I tend to use a subtle deck switch when I get any opportunity to do one. You are right however, the fact that it is not an impromptu effect does put a limit on the opportunity to perform it. Despite this, the power of the effect is not diminished in any way Smile
I Love You God Smile
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

If your presentation of the effect is that, prior to leaving home, you took a deck of cards and placed a certain card at a certain number, it makes perfect sense that the deck is neither borrowed nor shuffled.
MagicKingdom10
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Quote:
If your presentation of the effect is that, prior to leaving home, you took a deck of cards and placed a certain card at a certain number, it makes perfect sense that the deck is neither borrowed nor shuffled.

I just realized that you are the great Bob Cassidy himself! I only saw your username and thought mastermindreader was a fan of yours and used your photoshopped photo in his avatar. Sorry if I referred to you in third person in my previous post! Hahahahahahahahahahhahahaa
You must have thought that I was being cryptic!!!

Your comment is an excellent solution to the problem! Spectators often say "Please let me shuffle the cards first", but they never ask "but could you do this with my deck of cards?". Nonetheless in both cases, your ingenious solution protects the deck from being shuffled and forces the spectator to use your deck but the magical effect still remains as powerful as ever Smile Thank you for this tip.

If you don't mind me asking, would you have endorsed Honey if he had come to you first?
I Love You God Smile
jaizon
View Profile
Inner circle
By time you read this I will have
1540 Posts

Profile of jaizon
I have this effect and I bought it when it was first released. I have refrained from commenting, preferring to see other's responses. Honey does a very good job of describing the effect as it is seen on the video, but more than half of the explanation video is spent on another version "in case the pro version" doesn't work. I would never have bought this if I knew this was going to be the case. Without revealing the method I can say that it is "bold" (Honey's word) and is his words, not at all foolproof. This is the reason he includes the other version, which is club footed, at best. I am sorry to have to post this, but I believe more thought had to go into this before it was released and the existence of a second fallback version on the video (which is not at all the version you see) should have been made clear to people.
MagicKingdom10
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Quote:
On Nov 5, 2014, jaizon wrote:
I have this effect and I bought it when it was first released. I have refrained from commenting, preferring to see other's responses. Honey does a very good job of describing the effect as it is seen on the video, but more than half of the explanation video is spent on another version "in case the pro version" doesn't work. I would never have bought this if I knew this was going to be the case. Without revealing the method I can say that it is "bold" (Honey's word) and is his words, not at all foolproof. This is the reason he includes the other version, which is club footed, at best. I am sorry to have to post this, but I believe more thought had to go into this before it was released and the existence of a second fallback version on the video (which is not at all the version you see) should have been made clear to people.

I believe this is exactly one of the forum's fears. Thank you for this insight Jaizon, your comment is very generous and extremely valuable!
I Love You God Smile
MagicKingdom10
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Quote:
On Nov 4, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:

I have no idea how the effect was accomplished, so obviously I can't endorse the method.

Sorry I just saw this, I presumed that Honey could easily fool someone like me, but for someone who knows all the tricks of the trade like you I assumed the method would have been visibly apparent. My apologies sir.
I Love You God Smile
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

MagicKingdom10-

I didn't say it fooled me. Of course I could duplicate the effect. But based solely on that video I'd have no way of knowing if he was using the same method as the one I would use. I'd have to see it a few times in different performances. (Note that I've been doing my version of the effect for over thirty years. It is based primarily on the original version of the effect as it was described in the chapter on the Nikola system in "The Encyclopedia of Card Tricks." It one of my favorite card effects. Few do it, though, because it does require flawless sleight of hand and strong misdirectional skills.)

My comments on the effect were based solely on a single viewing of the original video. It came across, in that particular instance, as clean and direct and I liked the presentation and the performers personality.

Obviously, I was not aware of the facts that Jaizon set forth in the post previous to yours. I was under the impression that the effect on the video was the exact effect being sold.

Sadly, I must force myself to refrain from giving encouraging comments to creators without also giving a disclaimer stating specifically that my comments do not constitute an endorsement. I would never intentionally endorse ANY product if I was not completely privy to the method[s) used to accomplish it and its particular presentational requirements.

Now when I someone comes up to me at a convention and proudly shows me their latest creation, or directs me to an on-line video demo, I really can't even say, "Nice job," without fearing that my words will appear in an ad with my name attached.
MagicKingdom10
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Thank you sir that was all I needed to hear, I am glad at least one of us wasn't fooled Smile
I Love You God Smile
Adrian Tugui
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of Adrian Tugui
Judging by the trailer for the effect, which pretty much gives away the method, and by the huge number of one-star reviews, I would advise against purchasing this effect. This, in my opinion, is not something you will metaphorically throw in your magic drawer and never take out again, but something you will be so frustrated with that you will use to eventually end your suffering in this cruel and misleading world. Do yourself a favor and don't buy this.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » HACAAN and Bob Cassidy (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL