The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Billiard balls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1836 Posts

Profile of David Todd
More thoughts on replacing the "Ireland Golf Balls" ---

Several companies make the soft foam rubber golf balls that are the same or better than the ones sold with the old Ireland Golf Balls effect (the soft rubber golf balls are available at Target, WalMart, KMart , etc.)

The ones I have are made by Dennco, Inc. and they are called Foam-Flite practice balls, released under the "Golf Digest" line of golf accessories.

I forgot to mention, that if you are really looking to do this inexpensively, then instead of buying the Fakini golf ball s_ _ _ l you can look around for kids toy golfing sets. Some (not all, be careful what you buy) of these sets come with plastic balls that are just slightly larger than a regulation golf ball, so of course you can use these to make a pretty serviceable s_ _ _ l . You will need to paint it on the inside with white paint, so that no light shines through it. Look around for the right size ball. It needs to be just slightly larger, but not too oversized than a real golf ball.

However, if you are not on a restricted budget I still recommend the Fakini s_ _ _ l as the best . The Fakini s _ _ _ l alone will run you about $19.00 from Denny & Lee. The set of soft rubber practice golf balls are $2.89 .
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1836 Posts

Profile of David Todd
While on the subject of multiplying golf balls, I thought I would mention another interesting item I found at KMart:

It's made by Dennco Good Sports, Inc. and marketed as part of their "Golf Digest" golfing accessories line.

The name of the item is "The Original NiteLite Golf Ball".

It's a clear plastic golf ball with a slot in the middle to insert a small cyalume lightstick. The lightstick makes the ball glow in the dark for night play.

However, you can also use the clear golf ball with a D'lite gimmick held behind it and the ball will glow brightly. (the golden yellow D'Lite looks really great) I've worked with having the ball glow, then I toss it up in the air and it vanishes .

Other than that I haven't really worked out any definite routine with this thing, but it's an unusual , cool looking item. Worth playing around with.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1836 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Here's a jpeg image of the Nite Lite ball

Click on the link :

Click here to view attached image.
Brad Jeffers
View Profile
Veteran user
353 Posts

Profile of Brad Jeffers
I myself, have a preference for wooden balls, rather than the silicone Fakini balls. For one thing, painted wooden balls simply look better than the Fakini balls. They are seamless, and the color is more vibrant. (The red Fakini balls are more of a translucent pink than red). To me, only the white Fakini balls look good, and I've come to prefer red balls over white. As to handling, it's true that the Fakini balls do have that nice "cling" quality, which makes for somewhat easier palming and MUCH more easier finger rolls and flourishes. But I don't care much for flourishes in a billiard ball routine and palming a wooden ball is no more difficult than a silicone ball, once your accustomed to it. That cling quality can also be a negative thing with some moves. In some moves two balls are required to pass around each other in the hand. If two silicone balls contact each other, the cling effect that is so handy when palming, can be very detrimental, as the balls cling to each other even more so than to your skin! If you use a large diameter ball, it's hard to avoid this contact. Wooden balls glide right over each other, and I love the little click they make as they touch together. In addition, the cling factor is a hinderance in stealing balls from certain types of holders. The way I see it, all the great billiard ball workers (Cardini, Maurice Rooklyn, Bill Baird, etc.) used wooden balls. If it was good enough for them ...
fxmaster
View Profile
New user
Adrian
1 Post

Profile of fxmaster
I used to work for the motion picture industries. And decided to open a magic shop. Now I use my skill to make prop and Illusion for magicians. Recently, I'v been making custom multiplying balls for magician's,they feel the same as fakini's.
A lot of my magician friends finialy convince me to make them because they know that Fakini stop making them. So if anyone wants a set please e-mail me.
***Kev***
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of ***Kev***
Can I just point this out,
Fakini have not stopped making their silicon billiard balls and thimbles,
This was a rumour spread around to boost the sellings,
He is still mking them!
Anyway,
I believe the Fakini Golf Ball sets are absolutely fabulous.
I got them from a local magic dealer, mine came with 4 silicon white balls and an exertly made whit silicon coated shell.
The silison Fakini balls are a pleasure to manipulate and are very forgiving on stage,
These have saved me [b]many[/b[ times in the past, where as if I were using the traditional wooden billiard balls......:
:bawl:
LOL
Anyway...
I usually include boucing the ball for a ball to Kabuki Streamer, so it isn't uncommon if one slips and bounces, I simply catch it, usually do a vanish to make it look like a fanceier way of transfering the ball from hand to hand rather than just passing it, then make it appear, and I am back on track.
Trust me, I am a 14year old magician, I haven't done any professional work yet,
All I have to buy my magic from is my pocket money,(:wow:) when I got my first set, I was so pleased.
I am currently saving up for the translucent red/pink.
They look good.
Anyway...
I am off to practise my billiard ball performances.
I know I am new around here,
But I am sure I am welcome,
Take care now,
Kevin. Smile
***Kev***
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of ***Kev***
Hope the above post is of some use to you,
Kevin.
***Kev***
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of ***Kev***
I can confirm they aren't stopped getting made.

Smile Smile
night
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of night
Hello,

I am a friend of Franks "Fakini" and I own the local magic shop in his town. HE HAS NOT stopped making them, BUT they are hard to get. Frank has a lot of orders and makes what he can. His wife did pass a few years ago and she did a lot of the work on the balls. I have a few sets left if your want them. I had them autographed by Jeff McBide when we did a big show and lecture for me... He signed the paper insert NOT the balls!

Take care.

Michael Night
http://www.magicstudioonline.com A FREE MAGIC AUCTION and full line shop!!! Smile
night
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of night
Hello,

I am a friend of Franks "Fakini" and I own the local magic shop in his town. HE HAS NOT stopped making them, BUT they are hard to get. Frank has a lot of orders and makes what he can. His wife did pass a few years ago and she did a lot of the work on the balls. I have a few sets left if your want them. I had them autographed by Jeff McBide when we did a big show and lecture for me... He signed the paper insert NOT the balls!

Take care.

Michael Night
http://www.magicstudioonline.com A FREE MAGIC AUCTION and full line shop!!! Smile
Stephen Barney
View Profile
Regular user
UK
130 Posts

Profile of Stephen Barney
Confused Billy Diamond posted that he knew where to find Shimada balls but I can't email him any ideas?

Mumblepeas, love the felt dot. It just revolutionised my act. No more holding the ball out of the ???? great

I have lots of Fakini sets in varied colours. I love them. I tried the shimada instant multiply to four with two fakini gimiks works well but is there something special about shimadas

Private posts if thats to close to exposure Smile
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5369 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Stephen, I’m glad that it helped. The Fakini set is just to nice to not use because of a little sticking problem!

By the way, since you have several sets of Fakini balls, I wonder if you have the old deep, dark red as opposed to the present pinkish red? I was that the necessary ingredient to make the dark red color caused the ball to be soft and squishy. Thus no red set. (I don’t consider that pink to be red!) I was wondering if this is true or just a urban myth floating around some magic shops.

magicpirate82 did you ever try the felt dot in your set? Did it make it easer for you?
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Stephen Barney
View Profile
Regular user
UK
130 Posts

Hi Mumblepeas,

I love my Fakini Balls too much to not use them Smile

I have sets of Blue, White, Yellow, Magents,Green, new red, white Golf balls but I also have all of the colours as singles for colour changes etc. The old red is indeed very soft.

I also have all the coulors of the small balls in loads of sizes they are great for vernon/roth ball routines etc.

Maybe im the reason there is a shortage Smile
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5369 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Smile Smile
NOW we know where all the Fakini balls are! YOU are a one-man shortage causer!

Where do you buy yours? I ask because so many here can't seem to find them.

Smile
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Stephen Barney
View Profile
Regular user
UK
130 Posts

bought mine from denny / aldo and direct
***Kev***
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of ***Kev***
Well I have 4sets reserved at dennies,
He is expecting his stock in some time in september,
I cant wait,
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
ibm_usa
View Profile
Special user
In Your Mind, Ky, USA
722 Posts

Profile of ibm_usa
I use the vernet multiplying color balls, they have a rough surface so they fell like a porcupine when you touch them. they are almost impossible to drop, but you have to get use to the feel which takes a day.
"You may think that i only talk of things from the past, you know, history, well magic is history"

-Guy Jarrett

"Curiosity isn't a sin Harry, but it should be exorcised with great caution."

-Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire)
http://www.jordanallen-mentalist.webs.com/
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13414 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Mumblepeas!!

I have not heard that in a while.

I tried to like the vernet balls but I thought they were cheaply constructed and I did not like them. I snuck the sets I bought into customers boxes when they bought pouches, etc.

I was hoping someone else would get better use out of them than myself.

Has anyone experimented with multiplying balls and a manip. routine and snuck in a loop ball? Since I started selling loop balls and also started doing ball manip, I thougth this was a good idea. you can treat it as a one-ball routine and then go into loop-ball mode whenever you feel like it for added mystery.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
I would agree with Frank that the loop ball can add more possibilities in enhancing the routine. Worth a try experimenting with it. The effects with the loop ball can be quite visual as well.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13414 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Correct James. I've been playing with the idea of using loop ball ideas and then switching into standard manipulation moves. The loop can also be moved from place to place, if you know what I mean and handled very casually.

the loop balls are 2" as are some of my fakini balls. so if you do a vanish, then a production of the loop ball nobody will detect a different type of ball.

You can toss it in the air and catch it.
Toss if from hand to hand.

Anyway, I like the idea a lot and am experimenting with different techniques.

PM me if you want more info
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Billiard balls (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL