The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Publicity stunts (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
genius
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of genius
I am looking to do a publicity stunt for my mentalism routine. Any books that show how publicity can be structured?

Any marketing books for mentalists that cover this?

Mindblowingly,
Charles
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Do you already have an upcoming show you need to promote? If not, what is the goal of your publicity stunt?
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17675 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On Nov 5, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Do you already have an upcoming show you need to promote? If not, what is the goal of your publicity stunt?

Perhaps he wants to BOOK an upcoming gig?
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
E.E.
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of E.E.
Mr. Cassidy here has a very beautiful Russian Roulette routine that's perfect for publicity. There are many things you can do out there to gain atention.
Go to the radio and do something there, ask Mr. Slim King here, hell he knows about that.

But it also depends in whats the publicity for.
I shall see you on the other side.
genius
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of genius
This relates not to a show, but rather to an event that will be televised. The host will be calling one truly random person (spectator) on his cell phone, and I will guide the spectator to draw ANYTHING. I will attempt to duplicate the drawing live on-the-air.

Mindblowingly,
Charles

Quote:
On Nov 5, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12326 Posts

Profile of John C
Sounds like you have it covered. Don't know if a book can help you now. Look on amazon as publicity is publicity.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
bdekolta
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1636 Posts

Profile of bdekolta
Genius - sounds like you should have covered the method before you agreed to demonstrate it. Just my opinion. I can think off the top of my head several presentations stronger than what you have outlined but it is a little late for that now isn't it.

Please don't commit to things you don't already have worked out. Just saying.
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
Agreed. Risky premise!!

There are lots of ways, what did you envisage the routine to look like?!

Also, probably post downstairs

Simon
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
genius
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of genius
Might not be too late, what other presentations are you talking about?

Mindblowingly,
Charles

Quote:
On Nov 5, 2014, bdekolta wrote:
Genius - sounds like you should have covered the method before you agreed to demonstrate it. Just my opinion. I can think off the top of my head several presentations stronger than what you have outlined but it is a little late for that now isn't it.

Please don't commit to things you don't already have worked out. Just saying.
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
Bob, is your mailbox full? Had something for 4th dimensional telepathy I wanted to share with you/see if you used!

Simon
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
Charles I have pm'd you.
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
bdekolta
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1636 Posts

Profile of bdekolta
Charles - I'm not here to do your thinking for. You chose your presentation. How do you intend to pull it off?

I also think it is time for this to be off a public forum.
genius
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of genius
Dan Strange, I wasn't asking you to do my thinking for me. At this point, I would appreciate not receiving any negative feedback from you regarding my presentation.

There is something called "tone" in forum etiquette. Please try to have a respectful tone in your conversations, not just with me...but all Café members. We are here to help one another.

Mindblowingly,
Charles

Quote:
Charles - I'm not here to do your thinking for. You chose your presentation. How do you intend to pull it off?

I also think it is time for this to be off a public forum.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Quote:
On Nov 5, 2014, sjdavison wrote:
Bob, is your mailbox full? Had something for 4th dimensional telepathy I wanted to share with you/see if you used!

Simon

No, it's not full. I just keep the PM function turned off because I got tired of getting questions like, "What's a kewl mentalist trick?" or "You suck," etc. Smile

I'll send you a PM and then you can respond.

Bob
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
Thanks bob, sent! By the way, what''s the best mentalism trick?! Ha.

Simon
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
Charles I've sent you a couple of options.

Simon
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
bdekolta
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1636 Posts

Profile of bdekolta
Charles

I reread the thread and stand by what I wrote. You offered no details, didn't tell us your existing ideas yet asked for our ideas and way books we recommend. That is what I mean by thinking for you. Rather share what you have and we can build on that.

As to my tone. It wasn't meant dismissive. I would speak the same to you in person. Ask those who know me and you'll find I seek to be helpful but it is a two way street.

Best of success with your promotion.
genius
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of genius
Thank you, Dan.

Mindblowingly,
Charles

Quote:
Charles

I reread the thread and stand by what I wrote. You offered no details, didn't tell us your existing ideas yet asked for our ideas and way books we recommend. That is what I mean by thinking for you. Rather share what you have and we can build on that.

As to my tone. It wasn't meant dismissive. I would speak the same to you in person. Ask those who know me and you'll find I seek to be helpful but it is a two way street.

Best of success with your promotion.
Doc_Z
View Profile
Loyal user
New York, NY
229 Posts

Profile of Doc_Z
I'm confused. Is the over-the-phone drawing dupe the event you are trying to promote with a publicity stunt? Or is that the publicity stunt itself?
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

I'm not at all clear about what you're seeking here. From the OP I thought you were just looking for general ideas about how to stage a publicity stunt. Then you described a specific effect that you've already decided to do.

What's not clear is whether you are looking for ways to accomplish that particular effect, or if you're looking for general guidelines on the presentation of publicity stunts. If you're looking for the former, we cannot discuss methods in this forum. If you seek the latter, there aren't any general guidelines, as the structure is dictated by the specific effect. The only applicable guideline is to see that the performance is adequately promoted.

Another thing that's not clear is who you mean by "the host." Are you talking about the host of a television show? If that's the case, the show should be promoting the stunt in advance to get viewers to tune in. Or are you talking about the host of a public event that will be televised? If that's the case, the televising station might not even know that you are going to be featured at the event. Then it's up to you or the event producer to do the promotion.

And by "television," do you mean local public access, a local or national cable station, or a local or national broadcast channel?

Without knowing the answers to all of the above, there's no way that I could even begin to construct a helpful answer.

And, finally, what's your experience level? Have you ever done anything like this before?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Publicity stunts (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL