The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » A Michael Weber effect as described by R. Paul Wilson » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (40 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1945 Posts

Profile of Claudio
I’ve just read the whole thread, and I too have become curious about the Michael Webber effect, though I am convinced that the secret/method is probably simple and that it’s Mr Webber's presentation and routining that elevate it to a fooling masterpiece. In anybody else’s hands, the result might be very much different.

I feel that there was some lighthearted teasing from people who knew what it was all about, but I don’t feel that it was arrogant or superior in anyway (though I did not appreciate a couple of condescending remarks about keeping secrets). The reality is that I am very unlikely to see the effect demonstrated by Mr Webber for geographical reasons, and I can accept that.

I am not bitter about not knowing the secret and what I have got from this thread is that I should acquire more of Michael Webber’s material.

Cheers.
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Sometimes comments in an online discussion can be misinterpreted as arrogant; sometimes they are intentionally so. In the former case, pointing out the potential for misinterpretation is helpful to the poster; in the latter case, it serves to identify bad behavior. Either case warrants comment.

Examples of alternative behaviors can be informative and help posters to model better behavior.

As a case in point, a post that concludes

Quote:
On Jan 20, 2017, JasonEngland wrote:

. . . (Now that was designed to denigrate!)

Jason

is inappropriate.

Pointing that out can help the poster avoid future bad behavior.
Maestro
View Profile
Special user
802 Posts

Profile of Maestro
Quote:
On Jan 20, 2017, 0pus wrote:
Sometimes comments in an online discussion can be misinterpreted as arrogant; sometimes they are intentionally so. In the former case, pointing out the potential for misinterpretation is helpful to the poster; in the latter case, it serves to identify bad behavior. Either case warrants comment.

Examples of alternative behaviors can be informative and help posters to model better behavior.

Quote:

Jason

is inappropriate.

I thought Jason's comment was very appropriate. You can really dish it out but can't really take a little needling when someone gives it back to you.
Magic-Daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
Denmark
1328 Posts

Profile of Magic-Daniel
Jason England is spot on in every comment he has made in this thread.

I don't know if Michael Weber would care or not if I were to describe the effect as I witnessed. I didn't ask him, because I knew I wouldn't want to post a description of the effect online. And in truth, I haven't explained the effect to anyone. Why? First of all, I would feel it would be disrespectful towards Michael Weber. At least posting the description in a public forum. Maybe that is just me being too "respectful" if that is possible. But I will live with that.

And as not telling the effect to any of my fellow magic friends, is because, I WANT THEM, to hopefully one day, feel the SAME MAGICAL EXPERIENCE if they were to watch Weber perform this effect.

That magical experience Weber gave me two weeks ago, is the excact same reason that I started doing magic. And I still live for that feeling.

And believe me. If Weber were to have offered to explain me the effect, I would have smile and politely said, "no".
Bill Mullins
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of Bill Mullins
Quote:
On Jan 15, 2017, The Burnaby Kid wrote:
due to the fact that I was proven trustworthy, I was able to learn even more.

Words to live by.
JasonEngland
View Profile
V.I.P.
Las Vegas, NV
1729 Posts

Profile of JasonEngland
Quote:
On Jan 20, 2017, 0pus wrote:

Quote:

Jason

is inappropriate.

Well, it's true - that would've been inappropriate if I had meant it as anything other than a joke. Opus, I understand that you think a comment was denigrating, or arrogant, or rude, or belittling. But you didn't just say that. You said that the comments were "designed" to be denigrating. That means that when I set out to write my little joke about Paul Wilson (who is a dear friend) and didn't otherwise comment until later in the thread, that I also intentionally planned on having that comment denigrate or belittle the other posters on this thread who weren't aware of what the effect is or how it works. That's malicious aforethought.

That's giving me an awful lot of credit. I assure you, it was just a joke with Paul as the victim and nothing more. I don't mind that you took it the wrong way - I mind that you think I did it on purpose.

I think the same goes for a lot of other comments in this thread.

You want me to "design" a comment that denigrates you or others? I promise you, you'd know it when you saw it.

Jason
Eternal damnation awaits anyone who questions God's unconditional love. --Bill Hicks
Papa Legba
View Profile
Special user
home-an unremarkable spiral arm of an insignificant galaxy
750 Posts

Profile of Papa Legba
Quote:
On Jul 21, 2016, Merenkov wrote:
I haven’t seen many tricks where cards end up on the floor, but here are a few guesses as to the appeal: it expands the typical space where a card trick occurs; a card underneath your foot would seem to a layman to be beyond manipulation; and...it’s just different. So far, no one has been able to tell us what Michael Weber’s trick was. Did the cards change as they fluttered to the floor? Did they bounce back up to his hands? Did they burst into flames? Inquiring minds want to know!

Not sure if this will help folks or not, but here goes...

I understand that Dai Vernon had a 'cards to the floor effect' called the 'boat trick'. Looch has one, which I have also not seen, and I do not know the name of, performed at a dining table. I do not have too much more info but will say no more anyway as I am not sure if this forum is restricted or not.
Use the FORCE Luke.
rnaviaux
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of rnaviaux
I once had a magician at Hollywood Magic show me an effect over 20 years ago. I asked him if it was published and he replied "No." And that was that. I have seen similar versions of it published but not exactly what was shown to me. I have never done it or shown it to anyone else, magician or not.
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1334 Posts

Profile of Leo H
The opening line of R. Paul Wilson's blog The Real Work: I love secrets. As magicians, perhaps we all do - until we realize that some secrets are kept from us.

In the case of this Weber effect, not only is the method a secret, so is a description of the trick!
Nevets
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of Nevets
From what I saw of it Luke Jermay has a similar effect.
Papa Legba
View Profile
Special user
750 Posts

Profile of Papa Legba
Quote:
On Sep 29, 2018, Nevets wrote:
From what I saw of it Luke Jermay has a similar effect.

What is the effect called please?
Use the FORCE Luke.
Papa Legba
View Profile
Special user
750 Posts

Profile of Papa Legba
Here is the opinion of a relative newbie on this thread which has been running since Nov 2014.

If you develop an effect then the SECRET is your property (obviously) until such time as you decide to publish or otherwise market it, BUT I am at a loss as to why, following a public performance of the effect, people think it is some kind of betrayal to simply describe the effect. IMHO it is NOT.
Use the FORCE Luke.
JasonEngland
View Profile
V.I.P.
Las Vegas, NV
1729 Posts

Profile of JasonEngland
Quote:
On Sep 30, 2018, art85y wrote:
Here is the opinion of a relative newbie on this thread which has been running since Nov 2014.

If you develop an effect then the SECRET is your property (obviously) until such time as you decide to publish or otherwise market it, BUT I am at a loss as to why, following a public performance of the effect, people think it is some kind of betrayal to simply describe the effect. IMHO it is NOT.

Betrayal might not be the right word, but an effect can still be "damaged" or rendered inoperable by accidentally revealing something surprising that happens during the effect. It could be that people here are protecting that type of element.

"Do the one where the card appears in your wallet at the end!" is a sentence spoken by many an enthusiastic (and well-meaning) spectator.

Jason
Eternal damnation awaits anyone who questions God's unconditional love. --Bill Hicks
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On Nov 5, 2014, Merenkov wrote:
On Dan & Dave Buck's website, there is an essay by Paul Wilson called 'Ten Movies Every Magician Should See'. He compares the feeling he gets from certain movies to the feeling he gets watching certain magic tricks:

"I have similar memories about magic effects I’ve seen or performed — memories I try to revisit or recreate whenever I have the chance. The first time I saw David Copperfield perform the ...

teasing the reader - no problem - will just have to more carefully test and verify any other content associated with them.

Borges or Tlon?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Jiceh
View Profile
Special user
France
742 Posts

Profile of Jiceh
Quote:
On Jan 15, 2017, PASCAL wrote:
Excuse me all Magicians but I don't see why it' so difficult to describe here the effect !!!
We don't ask the explanation just the effect
If you don't want to say anything , in that case it's not your place on a forum ...
Sorry but sometimes I don't understand some réactions on a public forum
Pascal

Maybe because the real secret is not the method but the effect. Simply
Jiceh
View Profile
Special user
France
742 Posts

Profile of Jiceh
Quote:
On Jan 16, 2017, JasonEngland wrote:
If you know Michael, then you know he doesn't want the effect, method or presentation discussed by anyone other than him

I agree about the method and the presentation (eventually) but if he doesn't want us to discuss the effect, why did he sows this effect at convention ?

It's curious
Merenkov
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of Merenkov
If you know Michael, it’s surprising that he doesn’t require people to sign a non-disclosure agreement before performing his effects for them. Smile
Papa Legba
View Profile
Special user
750 Posts

Profile of Papa Legba
Quote:
On Jan 20, 2017, Claudio wrote:

...I am not bitter about not knowing the secret and what I have got from this thread is that I should acquire more of Michael Webber’s material.

Cheers.

I have to agree
Use the FORCE Luke.
pierredan
View Profile
Special user
Dai Vernon's birthplace
540 Posts

Profile of pierredan
Michael Weber is my favorite magician. His material is very clever and if you are lucky enough to see him in person he will fool you bad.

This trick is the stuff of legend.

One can wish that he will tip it one day in his subscription Journal of Psience. If you are not a subscriber you are missing out.
shakuni
View Profile
Inner circle
1169 Posts

Profile of shakuni
Is it released yet?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » A Michael Weber effect as described by R. Paul Wilson » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (40 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL