The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Masterful violin solo ... especially for Mastermindreader (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Beautiful performance of Autumn Leaves by Duke Ellington, featuring Ozzie Nelson on vocals and Ray Nance on violin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xr1hFdvh1lk
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
What a hauntingly beautiful arrangement. Brilliant jazz violin by Ran Nance, who was also an excellent trumpeter. But that's Ozzie Bailey on the vocal, not Ozzie Nelson. (Though Nelson was also a big band singer who once fronted his own band.)

Thanks for posting that, Arthur.

Now I have a sudden urge to listen to some Joe Venuti.
HudsonView
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of HudsonView
Ray Nance is a mystery. He should have been so much bigger than he was. Good looking, not only a brilliant jazz violinist and trumpter, but also a great vocalist, he should haVe been a super star.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Hi Bob ... of course I meant Ozzie Bailey ... don't know how my fingers found Nelson as I was typing.

"Hauntingly beautiful" is exactly how I would describe Duke's arrangement, too. Very interesting, in one of the sections, how a seemingly "wrong" unison note is held by the horns, which actually precedes a chord about 4 bars ahead, which then makes perfect sense. I've never heard that done by anyone else.

Hey, I second listening to some Joe Venuti ... plus a little Stephane Grapelli with Django's band!
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I don't know if I could handle that! But it would be a great thing to hear.

Just listened again for that "off" note that goes into the chord. Never heard (or noticed) that before, either. Really creative and it works perfectly.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Masterful violin solo ... especially for Mastermindreader (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL