The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mentalism for the memory impaired? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

skyfire
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of skyfire
Long time Magician hobbyist with Close Up, but I am really interested in trying my hand out with Mentalism. But here’s my problem. My memory is so bad that I have given up trying to do anything with a Memdeck. Believe me, I tried, and tried, my memory sucks.

So here is my question, and I hope it’s an easy one to answer. Is there a certain DVD, or series of DVD’s that someone has put out that does not require a great deal of memorizing, like a Memdeck? I know Osterlind has many DVD’s out there, would there be a recommendation for one of his DVD’s that is not heavy into the Memdeck, or such.

Can a Mentalist have a bad Memory???

Thank you…
DocBenWiz
View Profile
Special user
Meridian, Idaho
991 Posts

Profile of DocBenWiz
IMHO if one is even slightly creative, many effects which may involve memory work or a mnemonic system, can be performed by the use of a crib that is creatively available (e.g. see a John Archer effect and think huge "marking pen").
If learning to do "mentalism" is truly a passion of yours, you can find ways to perform without having a major problem with memory I believe However, not really knowing the extent of your memory limitations, I am only guessing you could do adequately and you will have to do some persomal research to see what might work for you).
Good luck! Smile Smile
"Pay no attention to that strange man behind the curtain" (it's only "Doc Benjamin from the Amazing Wizardelia Wagon")
ReviewerMaster
View Profile
Veteran user
307 Posts

Profile of ReviewerMaster
There's a book from Looch. The material is pretty direct to the point. Same goes to Opening Minds by Colin Mcleod. Very direct stuff.
Cervier
View Profile
Inner circle
France
1275 Posts

Profile of Cervier
I don't know what you think mentalism is, but it's not all about memorizing stuff, such as a deck. You'll know that as soon as you really start looking into it.
Search for discussions here where good books for begin with are listed and start from there.
"A friend is someone who know you well but loves you anyway" H. Lauwick
The Lynx Deck, http://jmmaries.free.fr/cervier/
Grapheeteez, on GooglePlay
Telemos the peek envelope, on SkywardMagic
Telemos en Francais sur TheMysteryStore
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
I recommend that you buy Super Memory by Harry Lorayne. I had a stroke and one of the things affected was my memory. I got this book and studied it and now I perform many memory intensive routines. I think if you give this book a go you will be surprised at just how good your memory can be in a short time.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
russellajallen
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of russellajallen
There are many many routines that don't require a memedeck, just start some reading. DocBenWiz is right, if you must use a memdeck for what your tryingto acheive then use a crib.

Best of luck
Russell
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
You don't need memdeck etc for mentalism. You don't need a memory. I use cribs etc. Don't need to read memory books to be good at mentalism. Go for it.
skyfire
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of skyfire
Quote:
I had a stroke and one of the things affected was my memory.

Mine was also medically related. Just to give a quick background, Long story short; I had Oxygen Deprivation while having routine surgery. I also have random complete black outs with my memory though which lasts from just a minute or two.

I have had to modify my hobby of magic to eliminate story telling or complicated routines, so I am not sure if that alone would be a show stopper in this field of Mentalism. But that's not too bad because I can still do my short little quicky routines that I already know. But I am really intrigued, and very interested in this field that I know so little about.

Thanks for all the great suggestions.
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
2015 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
Skyfire:

While I love and perform several memory-dependant effects, I can recommend a range of effect that do not require much if any memory.

1. Haunted key and other Telekinesis type effects, such as pendulum effects, spoon bending, etc..
2. Diction book test (uses a crib)
3. Classical Film Verite (essentially requires remembering one or two things)
4. Sheer Luck
5. Out of This World type effects, such as Genetics (essentially requires remembering one or two things)
6. Correct Key and some other lock and key effects.
7. I Hate Kids and other Bank Night type effects.

A number of effects require remembering something but not a lot; if you rehearse what you need to recall, right before the performance, or learn to employ cribs like John C and others, you should be able to cope and perform just fine.

Hope this helps,

George Hunter
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
I too still use a crib whenever I can, it takes the heat off a little. My previous post was just to say that most times your memory isn't as bad as you think it is and with Harry's book you train the memory. So I can now perform effects that I never thought I would be able to do.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mentalism for the memory impaired? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL