The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Help Searching For This Effect !! (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TheMagicalMan
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of TheMagicalMan
Hello Fellow Mentalists,

I have been searching for this effect which maybe a bit of an old concept but I don't recall finding it. I would LOVE to do this in my stage show. Derren brown on infamous here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiGfZQU4im4 and other mentalists have done it.

Effect: A spectator is asked to write a a phone number down. Then 6 spectators, with a dice each roll the dice randomly and the numbers are recorded. Another random spectator adds a random 6-10 digit number or so and the product is predicted by the Mentalist. Then for a double climax, the product is actually the same number as the phone number of the first spectator !!

Preshows and other methods maybe involved but I don't get how it fully works together.

Heres another street version of it:
A mentalist asked 3 spectators each to think of 3 a digit number and add them, and call the number, it was his actual phone number.

I've been searching for this effect for months. So if anyone knows any resources please let me know. Thanks
Sensio
View Profile
Special user
I promise I won't exceed
641 Posts

Profile of Sensio
English people use to say
"There is no such thing as a free lunch"
...just my polite answer.
Wait now for some more direct ones!!!
Fasten your seat belt
corvus corax
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of corvus corax
In case you've been trying it and it hasn't worked out: you have to use the sum of the numbers and not the product. Try it, works much better.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Its his own and not been published. We don't deconstruct other people's work and then use it either. That's not being harsh, just honest.
I've asked to be banned
TheMagicalMan
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of TheMagicalMan
I never asked for a reveal, I was asking to where I may learn it, that's all. If anyone may guide to me to any resources I will fully appreciate it. Thanks.
TheMagicalMan
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of TheMagicalMan
I have searched in many DVDs to no avail. I'm trying to create a version of mine, but I believe I'm thinking too complicated. I really hope to get my hands on the original methodology of this despite me searching in some old mentalism books, maybe I have passed it.
C.J.
View Profile
Inner circle
There's a lotta rambling in my
2366 Posts

Profile of C.J.
Quote:
On Dec 17, 2014, TheMagicalMan wrote:
I believe I'm thinking too complicated. I really hope to get my hands on the original methodology of this despite me searching in some old mentalism books, maybe I have passed it.

Spot on, old chap!
Connor Jacobs - The Thought Sculptor
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Be fondly remembered.
Scott Soloff
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
960 Posts

Profile of Scott Soloff
My thinking is quite simple: If you can't duplicate it then you probably shouldn't be doing it.

Best wishes,

Scott
'Curiouser and curiouser."
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
Derren knows.
Mortimer Graves
View Profile
Special user
New Orleans, Louisiana, U.S.A.
556 Posts

Profile of Mortimer Graves
Once you get the idea through your own study you'll probably be able to think of several different methods on your own, each more or less ideal for different situations. Those old mentalism books hold the keys to thinking up your own stuff, if you really study them.

People often mention an effect in here and I'll think about it for maybe two minutes before coming up with at least two or three ways of doing and/or presenting it. If you really study the classics thoroughly, you should be able to do the same in no time, and then whatever you do will really be yours. That makes for a better performance overall, in the long run.

I think so, anyway.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds.

Hastur, Hastur, Hastur! See? Nothing hap-

...and if we rub each other the wrong way, let's try going in another direction. - Pokey the Porcupine
truman
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of truman
Ask three random people each to pick a three-digit number. Add them together and call the number. I will answer the phone and tell you how it's done.

Ok... Sorry! It probably won't work, and if my phone rings I will be truly surprised!

Best of luck,
Truman
Sensio
View Profile
Special user
I promise I won't exceed
641 Posts

Profile of Sensio
Quote:
On Dec 16, 2014, John C wrote:
Derren knows.

I thought Andy knew all stuff and passes them to Derren...

Pity
TheMagicalMan
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of TheMagicalMan
I'll ignore the coupla useless 'funny' comments from the rest of the comments up there.

I never said I want to copy Derren, I said I loved the concept and btw Derren Brown isn't the only one doing it so yeah. My only issue was that there is A LOT of content in the old stuff and I've searched to no avail. So if anyone knows which book it was in and they wouldn't mind guiding me I would appreciate it. Meanwhile I'm creating my own version, which won't be very easy to do I believe but still working on it, thanks everyone Smile .
Mortimer Graves
View Profile
Special user
556 Posts

If they're hidden in those old books, it's probably because they were used differently. Often the description of an effect is the description of the apparent effect as it's presented, when the method can be used for multiple different presentations, like what you're talking about.

I'll give you a hint as to a possible method, but don't think you have to drop a bunch of money to buy a prop to do it... remember everybody made their own stuff before the big-time dealers hit the scene.

Add-A-Number. I think it's also called Add-A-No. The principle is similar to the one used in a very popular "mental magic" effect involving a genie. Just a hint; there are probably a lot of other ways of achieving the same thing.

That's just one possible method. You'll probably want to let your fourth spectator use a calculator, just to ease things along.

Since you're persistent, and I think you're probably sincere in your desire to actually perform this stuff, I decided it might be okay to crack the oyster open a little and give you a peek. But that's all I'm comfortable with revealing out here in the open.

Hopefully it helps you with your research, and remember that the sky's the limit; there aren't nearly as many obstacles in our way as we might imagine there are. It doesn't have to be insanely difficult. Think like a mentalist, and it will all come to you.

...and if we rub each other the wrong way, let's try going in another direction. - Pokey the Porcupine
C.J.
View Profile
Inner circle
2366 Posts

Profile of C.J.
Spoon feeding, Mortimer. And just when there's a big loud "stop posting answers in Penny" thread going on.

Corvus corax already gave the solution (cryptically) above. I was just going to post a PM to the OP saying that the answer was in this thread of he was willing to search for it. Now not necessary. Ever read the parable of the man who tried to help the struggling butterfly emerge from its chrysalis?
Be fondly remembered.
Scott Soloff
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
960 Posts

Profile of Scott Soloff
Quote:
On Dec 17, 2014, C.J. wrote:
Spoon feeding, Mortimer. And just when there's a big loud "stop posting answers in Penny" thread going on.

Corvus corax already gave the solution (cryptically) above. I was just going to post a PM to the OP saying that the answer was in this thread of he was willing to search for it. Now not necessary. Ever read the parable of the man who tried to help the struggling butterfly emerge from its chrysalis?

Smile
'Curiouser and curiouser."
Mortimer Graves
View Profile
Special user
556 Posts

Yeah, you guys are right. Sorry, I was in the wrong mode. Forgive me, I'm still a bit new to this place.

Everything anybody ever just handed me has wound up by the wayside, and the things I had to struggle for I've kept with me forever. You can't help a tree grow by pulling it up by the roots; some things take time. You'd think I'd know by now.

*facepalms*

C.J.
View Profile
Inner circle
2366 Posts

Profile of C.J.
Thank you for your humility.
Be fondly remembered.
Mortimer Graves
View Profile
Special user
556 Posts

Thanks for helping me to stay on the path. It's important to be mindful.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Help Searching For This Effect !! (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL