We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Getting 3 gimmicks, is it redundant? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Phren
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Phren
After a few years of amateur card magic it's time for me to focus on the reason I started this hobby, Mentalism. I've read 13 steps, had some billet practise, used a N*** ***r and been taking acting classes to use the right amount of emotion and presentation.

There are 3 gimmicks I'm interested in as they seem to have close-up applications as well as small stage (20 people).
- Super Sharpie
- Psypher
- The Xpert

However, as I'm unable to understand how these gimmicks work I wanted to ask the people here if I'm buying redundant items? I have some questions about the items as well.
1. As I'm figuring the Super Sharpie is a N*** ****R sharpie tip, is this also a holder for the gimmick?
2. With these 3 items, does it mean I'm carrying 3 (or 4 if I have a normal one) Sharpies with me all this time? If so, is there a way to make it less?

I hope people here can help with this.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18816 Posts

Profile of IAIN
We don't reveal workings of gimmicks I'm afraid...up here, the forum is findable via google very easily...

though if you wait until you hit 50 posts (but please don't spam) - you can access the non-googleable area called 'inner thoughts' - we can go a little more indepth in there...

however, if you use the search function for the items you ask about, there's lots of reviews for you to read up on...
I've asked to be banned
Phren
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Phren
I understand that and I thank you for the advise. I will mix myself with more discussions to gather these 50 posts.

However, do the answers of these question really reveal the working?
Well, maybe with the power of deduction one might, so only this single question then:
Will it be redundant to buy these 3 gimmicks or is it a good combination?
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18816 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Don't buy any of them...honestly...
I've asked to be banned
Phren
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Phren
That is a very interesting reply which I did not predict, I guess I have to practise my Mentalism a bit more.

Could you add to your reply with a counter suggestion to what I should learn? These 3 gimmicks seem to give a interesting transition from my experience as a cardworked. As I'm not confident enough for Psy-forcing (although have tried and succeeded multiple times) and think a Super Sharpie would create a nice 'out' in many situations I'm really interested in what you may present as a good other option.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I don't use any of the three items, but I have looked at the advertising material. Super Sharpie and Psypher look like good items if you want to use them, though there is absolutely no need. However Xpert seems to be something I wouldn't buy if there was a gun to my head. Sorry I can't be of more help.
JayFredericks
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver, WA
131 Posts

Profile of JayFredericks
PM incoming.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10644 Posts

Profile of saysold1
I've used and lived Psypher since its introduction. B smith is a friend and I use it often although others prefer other items which they feel are better. Fine with me.

The question you asked though is like asking which of 3 types of hammers or which of 3 screwdrivers is best.

You said your a card guy that wants to get into this stuff. So the better question for you is why you are so focused on the tools when it might be better to learn something about performance. Getting inf@ is easy - you could do that with a billet and pencil. The art is how it is fed back and that's to be found not in hammers, screwdrivers or Sharpies but rather in books of which others here can provide their recommendations.

So my point is your focused on the wrong thing. Im sure I know what Jay F is pm'ing you but even that is just another excellent type of hammer. Without the knowledge to be found in books, it will likely become a pricey paperweight in your drawer.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
JayFredericks
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver, WA
131 Posts

Profile of JayFredericks
My PM basically said - "these are great, but put them aside and read Bob Cassidy's top 39 for beginners". =D
Freddan
View Profile
New user
Sweden
28 Posts

Profile of Freddan
Buying gimmicks, sometimes stuff that will end up in the drawer, is a part of discovering and learning about magic and mentalism. I have a bunch of stuff I don't use that have played an importerna role in my development as a magician and in learning and understanding basic principles. So read a review (Google) or buy and find out for your self.
JayFredericks
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver, WA
131 Posts

Profile of JayFredericks
My longer public reply:

I'm not a gimmicks guy. My IP is my wallet. It's just a wallet. No secret surprises. I carry 2 gimmicks - a device for writing that matches a pencil in my other pocket and a few grains of rice. I guess sometimes I use a small coin out of the loose change in my pocket as a gimmick too - does that count? I like to use THEIR cards, THEIR envelopes, THEIR watches, so why carry around a bunch of stuff. There are SO many good methods that require practically nothing that I just don't see the need for anything special - besides the writing device. And even that can be replaced with a really short pencil if I'm wearing loose pants or a jacket of some sort.
In my opinion, the best thing someone fresh to mentalism can do is forget about the gimmicks and learn the basic methods - either from tutorial dvds or books (preferably books because they usually will not influence performing style).
jstreiff
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Profile of jstreiff
Remember that magicians and mentalists approach mystery performance differently. For the magician it is all about accumulating effects and methods. For the mentalist, it is first about developing character and persona, from that determining claims and abilities and then and only then deciding what effects are consistent and sensible given that character, persona and those claims. Method is the last thing mentalists are concerned about, unlike magicians. So a change of approach is the first thing someone coming to mentalism from magic must deal with. Everything else then eventually falls into place. You will discover that most all the greats of mentalism concur on these points.
John
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18816 Posts

Profile of IAIN
As I said, please search and read the old comments and reviews on the items...

None of them are terrible, its just that if you read some more books 📚 you'll find other ways and means that you can play with...one gimmick pays for two or three books which will give you a broader knowledge and techniques to play with...

You'll have more fun too...

don't buy super sharpie...squuueeeeeeeeeeek!
Psypher - better options available which you'll see if you search

Teach a man to fish and all that...

None of the above is meant in a snooty way, genuinely trying to help out...
I've asked to be banned
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10644 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On Nov 10, 2014, jstreiff wrote:
Remember that magicians and mentalists approach mystery performance differently. For the magician it is all about accumulating effects and methods. For the mentalist, it is first about developing character and persona, from that determining claims and abilities and then and only then deciding what effects are consistent and sensible given that character, persona and those claims. Method is the last thing mentalists are concerned about, unlike magicians. So a change of approach is the first thing someone coming to mentalism from magic must deal with. Everything else then eventually falls into place. You will discover that most all the greats of mentalism concur on these points.

Exactly.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
cpbartak
View Profile
Special user
Mooresville, NC
941 Posts

Profile of cpbartak
I'd recommend a Lincoln's Best B**n Listo Style instead of the Super Sharpie, or a Black Beauty if you're looking for something more affordable. It's easy enough to prepare your notepad itself as a hold out (cut a hole to fit the item in several pages near the back of the pad and trim those pages short a bit for easy access, also gluing them together). There's no squeaking with a listo style b**n, it writes easier than a Super Sharpie, looks like sharpie, you don't need to worry about ink running out, and you don't get marker all over you.

I'd also recommend a ParaLabs ParaPad instead of Psypher, and pick up the ParaPen Construction Kit, too.

I have no clue what the third item you mentioned is.

I wouldn't personally buy gimmicked items just to get them. I always script the routine I intend to use them for before purchase, so I know they won't just be a cool toy I throw in the drawer.
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Galileo
View Profile
Elite user
Somerville MA
431 Posts

Profile of Galileo
Paralabs. Your Welcome.
Scott Soloff
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
960 Posts

Profile of Scott Soloff
Quote:
On Nov 10, 2014, IAIN wrote:
Don't buy any of them...honestly...

Second that! Why? Because you can blow people away with the classics (basics).

Mentalism and magic may have some common roots, but they are as different as night and day.

Best wishes and good luck,

Scott
'Curiouser and curiouser."
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
You guys are cruel to Xpert - one of the unsung items.... when I got it I made a cool effect called Mona Lisa Scream (yes, it was in the Oracle).... got me thinking - now years later it might seem like "wha eva" but with the right presentation etc. it is a good thing... like any tool - it just needs the right job...

(well, except for crap ripoff tools)

SS - well, I am too clumsy for it so built my own version/method..with SS I got messy

Psypher - never found it as good as Riggs devices - and if you want Psyher style done write/right - Paralabs all the way

IMHO
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18816 Posts

Profile of IAIN
From memory, it was first mentioned/discussed by kenton...Xpert that is..
I've asked to be banned
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Quote:
On Nov 10, 2014, IAIN wrote:
From memory, it was first mentioned/discussed by kenton...Xpert that is..

Enough for me to pass on it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Getting 3 gimmicks, is it redundant? (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL