The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Explaining Mentalism (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

genius
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of genius
I'm not sure if I agree with the approach taken by this mentalist to explain what mentalism is : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdPQMEjnnRc

Do you agree? Is this how you would describe it to a reporter? Would love to hear your thoughts!

Mindblowingly,
Charles
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
2948 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
They're keeping it mystical and philosophical, nothing wrong with that in my view.

I don't like the idea of describing mentalism as doing "mind tricks" like some choose to do. It's much more than that in my opinion and experience.

Here, he leans towards the mystical, towards self-knowledge, turning inwards, mixing mentalism with the metaphysical and eastern philosophical thought. Fine by me.

No different than some "NLP", "Psychology", or "Body Language" performers going out there and waxing about similar things while performing "tricks". No difference.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Well I certainly wouldn't describe it accurately. Personally, I just define it as a scientific form of thought reading and leave it to them to figure out what that means. If pressed, I might add that it's based on the use of sound psychological principles combined with my enhanced intuition and ability to visualize in extreme detail.
E.E.
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of E.E.
How would you explain it, Genius?
I shall see you on the other side.
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1582 Posts

Profile of innercirclewannabe
Yes, it would be nice if the OP gave his opinion too. He seems to have a habit of starting a thread without ever giving an opinion of his own.

That said, I found the explanation on the video very long winded, and uninteresting. My explanation tends to be very short, swiftly followed by a demonstration of my talents.
Tá sé ach cleas má dhéanann tú sé cuma mhaith ar cheann.
genius
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of genius
I prefer Bob's approach. I don't go too much into detail, and let them draw their own conclusions.

Mindblowingly,
Charles

Quote:
On Nov 10, 2014, Ever Elizalde wrote:
How would you explain it, Genius?
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5941 Posts

Profile of george1953
I'll never look at a golf ball in the same way again. For me it was boring.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
E.E.
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of E.E.
What I say, if I'm asked, is this:

"I'm an expert manipulator of thoughts and behavior"

I've found that this line, though is more balanced to the "Psychological Illusionist" approach, it leaves open a wide range of posibilities of what I do to the spectator.
genius
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of genius
I personally think that "manipulator" comes across negatively. Influence is more positive, wouldn't you say?

Mindblowingly,
Charles

Quote:

I've found that this line, though is more balanced to the "Psychological Illusionist" approach, it leaves open a wide range of posibilities of what I do to the spectator.
E.E.
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of E.E.
Quote:
On Nov 10, 2014, genius wrote:
I personally think that "manipulator" comes across negatively. Influence is more positive, wouldn't you say?

Mindblowingly,
Charles

Quote:

technically you are correct.

But the spectator have no idea how I can manipulate "Thoughts". That's why it leaves open the posibilities on their minds.
Besides, I never "explain" how I manipulate them, nor what to study to become a "manipulator" I just leave that to mystery Smile
genius
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of genius
I don't follow your logic. You agree it is a "negative" term but you justify its inclusion because the spectator has no idea how you do it?

You can "influence" with your spectator having no idea how you did it, no? It can be supernatural influence, verbal influence, psychic influence, etc. Plus "influence" is positive.

Maybe it's just a matter of semantics.

Mindblowingly,
Charles

Quote:
Quote:

Mindblowingly,
Charles

Quote:

technically you are correct.

But the spectator have no idea how I can manipulate "Thoughts". That's why it leaves open the posibilities on their minds.
Besides, I never "explain" how I manipulate them, nor what to study to become a "manipulator" I just leave that to mystery Smile
Galileo
View Profile
Elite user
Somerville MA
431 Posts

Profile of Galileo
Whenever someone asks what I do I just say "Let me show you", I never mention the word mentalism or anything of the sort because I don't want it to be associated with what others do, also lets people draw their own conclusions.
MVoss
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, MA
372 Posts

Profile of MVoss
Well, first off the host asked, "Who is a mentalist?" So my answer would be, "Me." However part the way into the golf ball thing I started cringing. The last thing, as a performer, that I want to do, is to imply that my audience is small minded and I experience more of the world them them. That's not the foot I want to start on. The, "look at how clever I am," thing is part of the reason the general public doesn't give magicians and mentalists enough credit.
MVoss
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, MA
372 Posts

Profile of MVoss
Quote:

Mindblowingly,
Charles

Quote:

Well, I think that while manipulator does have a more negative vibe then influence, that could be a good thing. To give it a slightly darker side allows the phrasing a certain roguish quality, that if done right can be quite charming.
IbiMania
View Profile
Regular user
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
108 Posts

Profile of IbiMania
"I am a mentalist. I use my mind, your mind or anyone's mind to blow everyone's minds. Still didn't get what I mean? Think of a color...it is not written anywhere it is purely IN YOUR MIND.." and that's how I usually start. While I don't mind if exactly same words are used by anyone, what I actually want to share here is the fact that I use that short sentence as an intro into a small mentalism effect or opener and I believe that showing an effect does more than explaining with mere words.

Now that I have been doing it for a few years, I am confident enough to open with c*&d R$#@%ng especially in a close-up setting before a show.
E.E.
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of E.E.
Quote:
On Nov 11, 2014, IbiMania wrote:
"I am a mentalist. I use my mind, your mind or anyone's mind to blow everyone's minds. Still didn't get what I mean? Think of a color...it is not written anywhere it is purely IN YOUR MIND.." and that's how I usually start. While I don't mind if exactly same words are used by anyone, what I actually want to share here is the fact that I use that short sentence as an intro into a small mentalism effect or opener and I believe that showing an effect does more than explaining with mere words.

Now that I have been doing it for a few years, I am confident enough to open with c*&d R$#@%ng especially in a close-up setting before a show.

Hi IbiMania, long time no see you around here.
That is actually a great opener! I liked it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Explaining Mentalism (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL