The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Problem with French Kiss-Wayne houchin (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mentalmagicgerman
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of mentalmagicgerman
Iam a big fan of Wayne'S French kiss.

Gets huge reaction. I love it... but there is a Problem...:

After a few minutes(after the "screaming-reactions", some spectators come to me and say: I think you've switched the cards...

I do not know why... Is there any way to get rid of the idea, that you may've switched the cards...with the "move" ?

They do not suspect the secret move...but after a few minutes, they have a really close idea...it's the only way, how they could explain the miracle...

i do it exactly like wayne...

Do you have some ideas?plots?presentations?
mentalmagicgerman
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of mentalmagicgerman
By the way

Sorry for my english Smile

Thank you in advance
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
2945 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
Well .. you're "magically" switching the cards, yes. This kind of routine might cause people to say that, but if they have no idea, they are just guessing, just curious, just like many people after watching something amazing ... "How did you DO that?"

But there's a deeper point. Framing. You don't want your audience thinking of your performance piece as a puzzle to be solved. Therefore, how you present the effect needs careful attention. The presentation of ANY effect.

You won't be able to do away with these kinds of questions entirely, but with just a little thinking regarding your presentation, it may cause your audience to think of other things rather than "you switched the cards".
MichaelJae
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of MichaelJae
When they say "i think you've switched the cards" your response should be "that's exactly what happened" and leave it at that, then continue on with another effect.
ummer21
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of ummer21
Duh of course you switched them. The trick is when you did it they missed it. If they really think that the card magically transformed into yours in their mouth then they are really gullible. I have been doing this trick for a while. I had a few people day I switched it. I reply. "I didn't switch it, you did"
jefferson8888
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of jefferson8888
That's the magic there, you switched it without them knowing how you did it.
The Darkness
View Profile
New user
Hong Kong
7 Posts

Profile of The Darkness
That's the point of that trick (the switching of the cards). So if they don't see how you switched the card then it's fine.
brandontoh
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of brandontoh
The thing is, no matter how good you are as a performer, after the magic there will be people who attempt to find out the workings of a trick. My personal view is that as long as the performance is highly entertaining and gave the spectators an enjoyable time, it's a successful performance. It sounds like you're trying to prevent them from reverse engineering the method after the performance, so for that, just think like a layman. If they say 'You switched the cards!', you can just reply, as others have pointed out, 'of course I did!', because that's exactly what the effect is. If they start guessing, you can either ignore them, or distract them and lead into another effect.

Here's an idea:
Spec: You switched it when you XXXXXXXXXXXXX!
You: Okay, I'm not supposed to tell you the secret, but it's really just sleight of tongue.
Then you can 'prove' it by doing the cherry stalk tying thing.
From there you can lead into any other effect (I'm so experienced at tonguing that I can even 'taste' DNA), or just end the whole thing, leaving the tied cherry stalk for them if they so choose (ew!).
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
2945 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
A couple of good posts here and a couple that concern me.

I'll just say that the key to any magic effect* is "Entertainment" not "I can fool you". Keep any effect you do as far away from a puzzle to be solved as you can!

*I don't like the term "tricks" because it implies "I tricked you" and I believe what magicians do is MUCH more than that and has MUCH more potential than just the ability to "fool" others.
brandontoh
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of brandontoh
Quote:
On Dec 9, 2014, ALEXANDRE wrote:
A couple of good posts here and a couple that concern me.

I'll just say that the key to any magic effect* is "Entertainment" not "I can fool you". Keep any effect you do as far away from a puzzle to be solved as you can!

*I don't like the term "tricks" because it implies "I tricked you" and I believe what magicians do is MUCH more than that and has MUCH more potential than just the ability to "fool" others.

What are the ideas that raised concerns?
ummer21
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of ummer21
Slight of tongue! Hilarious! I have to use that when I perform in front of the adults.
Alex McInroy
View Profile
New user
Corning, NY
71 Posts

Profile of Alex McInroy
I'm with the majority here. "Of course I switched them. The hard part was just how hard she was biting the card."
Amrit
View Profile
New user
UK
81 Posts

Profile of Amrit
Hi mentalmagicgerman.

I absolutely love French Kiss by WH, have been doing it since I started first doing magic and learned the DL. With the number of times I have done it, I have only ever had one person say that I probably switched them but they can't figure out how. My answer was quite simply, "I have no idea how it happened, that's the beauty of magic."

I pretty much take this stance regardless of what effect I perform and make it come across as something amazing just took place and I have no idea how it happened. They will laugh or you'll both share a cheeky smile but it has always pretty much ended the subject there.

Performance really is the key though because it distracts from the obvious. When I perform it I engage with the person I am performing to and keep the mood light so everyone watching as well as the person I am performing with can all share some laughs. I also have a certain way I perform it and depending on the person I am performing to (and their attitude) I will sometimes alter certain aspects to give it a more personal touch.

If you wish to chat about it further mentalmagicgerman just drop me a PM, would be interesting to hear your views on it. As I said this is probably the one illusion (as per ALEXANDRE's post, I never EVER use the term 'trick') I have performed the most over the last 3 years because the reactions it creates are just amazing.
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
How about something like this:

When I practice this at home in fornt of a mirror (I put what would be your card under a book), I know the two cards switch places, but I have never been able to catch it while it is happening.

This changes "You switched the cards" to "the cards switched places," which, of course, is a description of what they just witnessed.
tommyellison
View Profile
Regular user
157 Posts

Profile of tommyellison
"Its not a switch... its a Transposition!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Problem with French Kiss-Wayne houchin (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL