The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » At the Table with Chris Korn tonight Nov 12th! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MarcusC
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of MarcusC
Hey guys,

We're live with Chris Korn's At the Table lecture at Murphy's Magic right now! If you have missed the first part don't worry - as always you will get a stream/download of it that you can re-watch at your own convenience afterwards.

Here are a few of the places where you can find it:

Vanishing Inc

Hocus Pocus

MJM Magic
goatears
View Profile
Veteran user
400 Posts

Profile of goatears
Here's a link to all of my video reviews of the Murphy's lectures. Feel free to subscribe.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL......nyRFkRst

Below is an in depth review of Chris' lecture.

Before this lecture I was familiar with some Chris Korn’s television work as well as a few things that he has created with coins. He is a laid back cool guy, I think of him as a type of mix between Hugh Laurie and Owen Wilson. The majority of the lecture focused on coins with some other random items.

Fire Ball: The magician offers a participant a shot of whatever they would like. They name their poison. The magician then lights a piece of paper and in a blaze of fire a small bottle appears with whatever type of drink that they chose. This is a fun quick trick that I can see working at a club or bar. You will probably need a jacket for this unless you’d like to change his handling.

3 Coin Vanish: 3 coins vanish in slow motion and they reappear. This is a funky visual routine with a handful of surprising moments for magicians and laymen. It is of medium difficulty, most will be able to do it with a few weeks practice. You don not need a table but will need a common coin gaff.

Jam on Sleeving: Chris covers a few ways to practice sleeving and teaches various ways to use sleeving while performing. This is, as Chris would say “the real work on sleeving”. There are some great tips here.

Coin Flury: This is similar in method to David Roth’s flurry but he talks about phones as he justifies every move of his. Finally instead of a jumbo coin he produces his cellphone. This is a great modern coin routine that is highly motivated. I love his motivation here and his idea to replace the jumbo coin with a phone, it is much less “magicy” now and a bit more “street”.

3 Fly: Chris Korn has his roots back with the likes of Troy Hosier and Chris Kenner. Korn’s take on Kenner’s classic is very pretty and eliminates an awkward move used in the original handling. 3 coins held at the fingertips visually disappear and reappear in the other hand. The presentation looks very similar to Kenner’s original but with the addition of a unique coin gaff you can now clean it up so it is even more deceptive.

Hot Summer Night: This is an idea for a card revelation using condensation from a glass of water. I can see it being a very strong revelation but it is not performed because it requires a “Hot Summer Night” to work. This could work well at a bar or resteraunt where you have a moment alone at a table to set things up.

The Story of FISM: Chris takes a break for a minute and tells his hilarious experience at FISM. There’s no magic explained here, just a good story with a little bit of potty humor.

Television Magic: Here Chris talks about his various experiences on television. He gives some great insight as to what to look for when performing for a network and explains what you might want to do to maintain your credibility.

Impromptu Cups and Balls: Chris’ ideas on the cups and balls. Using objects from around the house Chris shows how he puts together a powerful piece of magic at a moments notice. I do like his sequence here and how he gets his final loads but I am not a fan of his choice of props. Of course you are not limited to the types of cups and balls that he uses.

So that’s it. If you like gaffed coin magic or bar magic you may enjoy some of this lecture. If you enjoy being able to throw together some killer magic at a moments notice then you may also like this lecture. I enjoyed it all around. If you dislike coins I would probably steer clear and check out another product.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » At the Table with Chris Korn tonight Nov 12th! (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL