We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Silver Dream (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mch64961
View Profile
New user
TN
82 Posts

Profile of mch64961
Hey Café members,
I have had the DVD for Silver Dream but just started performing it and I LOVE the reactions. I have found, however, that it actually irritates some people (that's the best description I can think of for the reaction)and they start getting grabby with my arms and start guessing the technique. How do you handle these kinds of spectators?
-mch64961
ajb6864
View Profile
Special user
Europe
613 Posts

Profile of ajb6864
Kung Fu
Smile
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7035 Posts

Profile of bowers
Those people don't need performing too.
I would just move on to someone else.
Todd
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8883 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Silver Dream is a wonderful effect, through and through. Much too nice to be wasted on such folks that can't appreciate its beauty.

I agree with my friends here, don't waste your time with such people.

Other than that, Welcome to the Café. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5339 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
That is because you are performing it for your friends/acquaintenances, correct? Perform for others whom you don’t know personally. You all will enjoy it much better.

Jim
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5941 Posts

Profile of george1953
I agree with J-Mac, friends and family is the worst audience to perform for :-[
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7035 Posts

Profile of bowers
He did not say anything about friends or family.
He said spectators.Even with family and friends
If they have your respect.They usally don't do this.
Unless it is just kids.
Todd
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5339 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
I must disagree Todd. The OP didn't have to say anything about friends or family; it is obvious because of the behavior described. Most spectators are not so bold as to do what the OP said. Only close acquaintenances - friends and family - are usually bold enough to grab like that. I would be willing to wager that the OP's spectators were either family, friends, or perhaps coworkers.

And for most magicians I know, the do indeed usually do this! And not only the kids. Smile

Jim
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7035 Posts

Profile of bowers
Ah I see he is a student.Yes I remember performing
in highschool for other students.And the immature ones
did this to try to expose the trick.And make them look
big to others around them.Haven't learned how to respect others yet.
Todd
mch64961
View Profile
New user
TN
82 Posts

Profile of mch64961
Hey, I should have worded my question better. Yes it was family and friends (my test audience), I am just concerned about their reactions translating into a real performance situation. This has never happened before and I would it rather not happen in a real situation. So I suppose I should have asked how this kind of thing should be handled if/when it happens.
Thanks,
-mch
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1869 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
A lot, no doubt, has to do with your youth. Young magicians, generally, are treated with less respect than older performers. Some young magicians tend to come across as "wise guys" and almost invite this type of behavior.

That being said, what you are dealing with here falls under the general category of "hecklers." It can take the form of someone simply yelling out, "It's in your other hand," to actual physical disruption of your performance, such as you're experiencing.

There has been a lot of discussion of this phenomenon (comedians experience it also), and you can search the literature for different opinions as to why this happens and how to handle it.

It never goes away completely. But I think that as you get older and become more experienced and better at what you do, you will find it occurs less and less often. It can be disconcerting at first, but eventually you will learn how to deal with it. The important thing is to not let it discourage you, but prompt you to get better and better.

Studying and performing magic is a life-long endeavor. Welcome to the club.
CarpetShark
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of CarpetShark
You cannot please all the people all of the time. 'F' em. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Silver Dream (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.44 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL