The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Tricks Against Humanity by Eric Ross (25 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
I go both ways! Ohhhhhhhhhhhh!!!
genius
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of genius
What does going "both ways" have to do with this thread?

Mindblowingly,
Charles

Quote:
On Nov 14, 2014, John C wrote:
I go both ways! Ohhhhhhhhhhhh!!!
MVoss
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, MA
372 Posts

Profile of MVoss
Quote:
On Nov 14, 2014, genius wrote:
Would they review it, though? I mean, is their audience the type that performs dirty tricks?

Mindblowingly,
Charles

Quote:
On Nov 14, 2014, MVoss wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 14, 2014, Knobz1 wrote:
I wanna see Craig and David review this on the WPR.

Yes, that would be amazing.

No, they wouldn't, though World Magic Shop did put it in one of their emails today. That being said, it would be funny because it would make them both very uncomfortable, and if by some miracle, Craig got into a rant about the presentational qualities of card to tampon (or any of these), I would die of laughter.
MVoss
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, MA
372 Posts

Profile of MVoss
In response to Vlad, this material totally isn't for everyone, and likely isn't for you, but that is a good thing. Magic is a variety art, we need variety. I also don't think, outside of very select situations, you'd do this for a paying audience. Bar magic was mentioned, and I bet a lot of these would be great MC gags, but for me the place I see a lot of this working would be in a nightclub or burlesque type performance. Burlesque is defined as, “a literary, dramatic or musical work intended to cause laughter by caricaturing the manner or spirit of serious works, or by ludicrous treatment of their subjects.” This is the burlesque of magic, its power comes from the fact that you wouldn't present it as being serious. It is a cartoon come to life. I would say this is bawdy magic that should be presented as a joke among adults. I think that for audiences, especially in the United States, who see magicians as either birthday party clowns or people that seem to be taking themselves way too seriously on TV, could appreciate this material, if presented in the proper context. I believe it is important, from time to time, not to take yourself too seriously.

That all being said however, ku7uk3, makes a really good point. The descriptions of the effects help a lot, but the lack of a video makes me wonder.
Mark8infiniti
View Profile
Special user
613 Posts

Profile of Mark8infiniti
WHAT THE? HOW CAN YOU ADVERTISE A PRODUCT WITHOUT SHOWING DEMOS OF THE TRICKS? THIS IS SO SO SO SO STUPID.

'because they are too gross to show' - - WHAT A COP OUT! THE WORST EXCUSE I'VE EVER HEARD.
iNFiNiTi | The Red Pill Magician | SHOCK NOT IMPRESS
Mark8infiniti
View Profile
Special user
613 Posts

Profile of Mark8infiniti
ANYONE REMEMBER HUG? STOP INSULTING US.
iNFiNiTi | The Red Pill Magician | SHOCK NOT IMPRESS
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Hey, magicmarkworldwide2, please stop shouting.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Vlad wrote:
Quote:
This all seems like the horrible oily back lot carny or seedy third rate punter with cheap whiskey on his breath and hasn't bathed for a month showing up and robbing an audience of a rare, amazing experience of magic and degrading it to a glorified set of magic shop gags.

So you've seen my act? Smile

Clearly not for everyone, but as noted above, there are places where this type of thing could play well.
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
A lot depends on how much money one has to blow. It might be interesting if one has unlimited funds.

A lot of this type stuff can be created by anyone from already existing tricks if one is so inclined. The Goshman sponge thing has been available for some time.

It seems some magicians have limited audiences. They perform for the same people all the time and are always looking for something new. For me, the poster child of this type thing is the revelation of a predicted card in a blister on one's finger. Egads! (Yes, I know, 50 million people will post saying how wonderful this is.)

Some people are always creating new effects so they they can sell them and make more money.

I also think that a lot of magicians have a condescending view of laymen. Like Vlad says, above, how many laymen have experienced good, professional-quality close-up magic? Is it really necessary to play to the lowest denomination of humanity, even in a bar?

Good luck to selling this, but I too would rather save my money for that wonderful Al Leech book, for instance (same price).
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Finally! The definitive handling of the Goshman dong. And with a racial twist, too.

This could be a gas to watch, even (maybe especially) if you have no intention of using any of the material. I mean, how many folks bought Boris Pocus for the tricks? Hope there's a bonus section with outtakes of the magicians getting slapped or having drinks poured over their heads.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
Eric Ross
View Profile
Regular user
192 Posts

Profile of Eric Ross
NOW SHIPPING!

Check your favorite magic shop and/or dealer.

;)

E.
www.ericrossmagic.com
Mike.Hankins
View Profile
Veteran user
320 Posts

Profile of Mike.Hankins
We are in the entertainment business. Movies have ratings from G-NR, to even X-XXX. Stand up comics range from family friendly to adults only. How is magic any different? Why is it so bad to have some that chose to lean towards the PG-13/NR/X/XXX side?

There is DEFINITELY a market for this type of material.
Mike.Hankins

Instagram: MHMagic77

Twitter: @HankinsMagic

FaceBook: Yup!
Low Key
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of Low Key
Is this in any way associated with Card Against Humanity, or does the box art just look similar?
SlipperySnake
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of SlipperySnake
Definitely a market for adult material, just wish the price was a little less being it's a pdf and not hardcover book (although if you get use out of at least a couple effects I'm sure it's worth it). Any other reviews? With the holidays upon us money is tight unless I know for sure I'll be using something.
Robmonster
View Profile
Elite user
455 Posts

Profile of Robmonster
It's a DVD, not a pdf
SlipperySnake
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of SlipperySnake
Quote:
On Nov 20, 2014, Robmonster wrote:
It's a DVD, not a pdf

Shoot, my bad! Got it confused with something else I looked at. DVD better, but still would like to get some more reviews. I definitely do adult humor for my audiences so count me as interested.
robd
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of robd
I've only just seen this - not my thing, but each to their own, etc. However:

"3. Sponge Dong - Goshman - A shocking end to your favorite sponge ball routine! Comes BLACK!"

It's one thing to do something a bit different, but if you're is making racial jokes about ***es in 2014... oh dear.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On Nov 21, 2014, robd wrote:
It's one thing to do something a bit different, but if you're is making racial jokes about ***es in 2014... oh dear.

This one is funny, though Smile
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
atouchofmagic1
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of atouchofmagic1
Quote:
On Nov 20, 2014, The expert wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 20, 2014, Low Key wrote:
Is this in any way associated with Card Against Humanity, or does the box art just look similar?

COURSE ITS NOT ASSOCIATED, JUST STOLEN. PIRACY IS BAD IN MAGIC, UNLESS IT IS LIKE THIS OR MUSIC! AT INTERNATIONAL SOMEONE USED PINK FLOYD! I DOUBT THEY GOT PERMISSION.

DVD PIRACY = BAD, STEALING MUSIC FOR YOUR ACT = FINE

From their website.
Cards Against Humanity is distributed under a Creative Commons BY-NC-SA 2.0 license. That means you can use and remix the game for free, but you can't sell it without our permission. “Cards Against Humanity” and the CAH logos are trademarks of Cards Against Humanity LLC

-Bobby
Eric Ross
View Profile
Regular user
192 Posts

Profile of Eric Ross
LOL! I've stole nothing from "Cards Against Humanity" except simplicity.

Just becuase I use white text on a black background, does NOT make it a "Cards Against Humanity" Rip off. LOL! Sorry, they do NOT own this idea.

By the way, the name "Cards Against Humanity" is a derivative from the common legal term "Crimes Against Humanity" and is in no way related.

Same with TAH. It's just a derivative from and old term, in junction with certain "things" against humanity.

Hope you all enjoy!

Now let's stay focused!

E.
www.ericrossmagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Tricks Against Humanity by Eric Ross (25 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL