The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Is it time to question "Whatever the market will bear"? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Nature. It's her law, not mine.

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7528 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Nov 15, 2014, R.S. wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 15, 2014, JoeJoe wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 15, 2014, R.S. wrote:
I don't know... maybe she didn't have much of a choice to begin with. Maybe she grew up without privilege and had to scrape for everything she got. Maybe she works full time as a babysitter because she'd rather do that than sit at home and collect welfare. Maybe she contributes to society in other ways. Maybe the rest of us neglecting people in that situation ultimately leads to us footing more of the bill when they end up in the hospital because they couldn't afford insurance and therefore had inadequate healthcare. Meanwhile, the Paris Hiltons of the world inherit their wealth and live a life of excess. Maybe if the top 1% contributed a little more then society as a whole would reap the benefits. Maybe. Something to think about anyway. Smile

She has options. America is full of options. The world is full of options. I was homeless for six years and now I own my own house paid for in-full, you can't tell me there are no options.

And by the way ... Paris Hilton's grandfather is donating 97% of his wealth (over $2 billion dollars) to charities for the homeless, so to say she "inherited her wealth" would be inaccurate. She earned her money, and is supported by the fact she is worth $100 million verse her sister's mere $20 million.

-JoeJoe

I'm glad your situation turned out well for you... good on you for that! America may be full of options, but does everybody have equal opportunity when it comes to pursuing those options? Does a poor child born to no-name parents on a farm in Mississippi have the same opportunities as he/she goes through life as a child born to wealthy and well-connected CEOs/Doctors/Lawyers in Massachusetts? And don't forget the "luck" factor. Ambition, skill, and desire can only get you so far. Even the highly successful had some lucky breaks along the way. Furthermore, not all low income workers are lazy bottom-feeders, while not all the wealthy are models of integrity, industriousness, and virtue. I'm just recognizing that simple fact.

I don't begrudge Paris her millions. What she "inherited" was much more opportunity than the average person. MUCH more. And in the end, that may count for more than anything.

It's great that the elder Hilton plans on donating to charity. But he is said to be embarrassed by the behavior of his socialite granddaughter and believes it has sullied the family name.

Ron

Does everybody have equal opportunity? Do we have a Bi-racial president that came from nothing?

YES
Check out Bafflingbob.com
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7528 Posts

Profile of RNK
[quote]On Nov 15, 2014, landmark wrote:
Quote:

Joe, you know what? I'm happy that you made your way up from homelessness. Really. That's an accomplishment. You understood the system that is in place and you worked it to your advantage. Congratulations. But you know what? Just because you worked the system to your advantage, it doesn't mean that it's fair, rational, equitable, or the measure of goodness, smartness, or yes, usefulness. It just is what it is. And it most certainly is not a law of nature. Laws of nature are relations that have existed since day one and have never been changed. That's just not true about "market" systems.

It's fair enough that if you want to work diligently anyone can make something better of themselves. If you have determination and perseverance anyone in America can make something better of themselves.
Check out Bafflingbob.com
slowkneenuh
View Profile
Regular user
After 5,278+ posts, only credited with
133 Posts

Profile of slowkneenuh
Of course anyone can do better by working diligently, but "better" is a relative term."

"In the United States, wealth is highly concentrated in a relatively few hands. As of 2010, the top 1% of households (the upper class) owned 35.4% of all privately held wealth, and the next 19% (the managerial, professional, and small business stratum) had 53.5%, which means that just 20% of the people owned a remarkable 89%, leaving only 11% of the wealth for the bottom 80% (wage and salary workers). In terms of financial wealth (total net worth minus the value of one's home), the top 1% of households had an even greater share: 42.1%." The gap has even increased more over the past few years.

Realistically most people can only move within the bottom 80% and that's still not an easy life.
John

"A poor workman always blames his tools"
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Landmark you are arguing simple bias you have. By using terms like "criminal leech CEO" and such you simply have a belief almost akin to a religious belief. You are not arguing anything that is fact based. I am not saying you are wrong because of it, but it does unfortunately taint your position greatly.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On Nov 16, 2014, JoeJoe wrote:
Nature. It's her law, not mine.

-JoeJoe

I disagree. Understood not to be the case by Hobbes, and imlicit as far back as Plato's Republic

Here's Hobbes on human life under what we call natural law from chapter XIII found here:
"In such condition there is no place for industry, because the fruit thereof is uncertain, and consequently no culture of the earth, no navigation nor use of the commodities that may be imported by sea, no commodious building, no instruments of moving and removing such things as require much force, no knowledge of the face of the earth; no account of time, no arts, no letters, no society, and, which is worst of all, continual fear and danger of violent death, and the life of man solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short."
...to all the coins I've dropped here
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On Nov 17, 2014, slowkneenuh wrote:
Of course anyone can do better by working diligently, but "better" is a relative term."

"In the United States, wealth is highly concentrated in a relatively few hands. As of 2010, the top 1% of households (the upper class) owned 35.4% of all privately held wealth, and the next 19% (the managerial, professional, and small business stratum) had 53.5%, which means that just 20% of the people owned a remarkable 89%, leaving only 11% of the wealth for the bottom 80% (wage and salary workers). In terms of financial wealth (total net worth minus the value of one's home), the top 1% of households had an even greater share: 42.1%." The gap has even increased more over the past few years.

Realistically most people can only move within the bottom 80% and that's still not an easy life.

Nice numbers. Liars figure and figures lie. Now tell us where the bottom 80% begins and ends and your numbers might mean something. Get this through your head. There will always be super wealthy people. There will always we extremely poor people. Is that fair? The answer is yes.

Only a very few people who play the lottery win the biggie. Do you think that is fair? Well it is. Sure would be great if everyone who bought a ticket would be an instant millionaire after the drawing. Stupid idea isn't it? Yet some people believe that is how the world should function. Some believe that everyone should have everything they want because they want it. It just does not work that way. There will always be the super wealthy and the extremely poor, and the rest of us. Strive to do better rather than complain how unfair the world is and maybe your children's children will be up there. In fact maybe you can make it yourself. This is America after all.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
slowkneenuh
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of slowkneenuh
Pretty aggressive acesover. I'll get you the numbers. And for what its worth (pun intended), I am in the 95th percentile on my income alone. I know what I am talking about.
John

slowkneenuh
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of slowkneenuh
Table 1: Income, net worth, and financial worth in the U.S. by percentile, in 2010 dollars

Wealth or income class (Column 1)

Mean household income (Column 2)

Mean household net worth (Column 3)

Mean household financial (non-home) wealth Column 4)

Some data:

Top 1 percent - -- $1,318,200 -- $16,439,400 -- $15,171,600
Top 20 percent - -- $226,200 -- $2,061,600 -- $1,719,800
60th-80th percentile--- $72,000 -- $216,900 -- $100,700
40th-60th percentile --- $41,700 -- $61,000 -- $12,200
Bottom 40 percent - -- $17,300 --- $10,600 -- $14,800

From Wolff (2012); only mean figures are available, not medians. Note that income and wealth are separate measures; so, for example, the top 1% of income-earners is not exactly the same group of people as the top 1% of wealth-holders, although there is considerable overlap.
John

slowkneenuh
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of slowkneenuh
Rather than me transposing the tables, here is the source:

http://www2.ucsc.edu/whorulesamerica/power/wealth.html
John

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
Does everybody have equal opportunity?

No. Plain and simple.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Everyone has opportunity, yes. But the opportunities each inherit at birth are not equal.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Nov 18, 2014, landmark wrote:
Quote:

No. Plain and simple.

Nor can they possibly.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Nov 18, 2014, landmark wrote:
Quote:

No. Plain and simple.

So why is the plan always to remove opportunity from others to make ir more"fair"? Sorry I'd spread misery equally.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Quote:
On Nov 18, 2014, acesover wrote:
Now tell us where the bottom 80% begins and ends and your numbers might mean something. Get this through your head. There will always be super wealthy people. There will always we extremely poor people. Is that fair? The answer is yes.

It is strange when someone tells you 80% of the people are poorer than the other 20% as if they expect you to be able to do something about that (duh).

For those that don't understand the economy ... the differences in wages is the result of inflation; the higher the inflation the greater the difference will be. It is simple basic math. If you have $1 and $10 ... and then let inflation sink in, you end up with $1.50 and $15 dollar. The higher inflation, the greater the difference.

The problem is not that poor people don't make enough, or that rich people make too much ... the problem is inflation distorting the numbers.

-JoeJoe
slowkneenuh
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of slowkneenuh
JoeJoe, I suggest that you may want to take Economics 101 over again as it's not quite as simple as you portray it. Secondly, you can always do something about gross inequities rather than just accept them.
John

JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
I scored a 4.0 in economics thank you very much.

Everything is simple ... the only reason to complicate it is to make is so other people won't be able to understand it.

And I don't accept any inequities - that is why I'm no longer homeless. Everyone has options - they may not be "equal" but they are there. Your success in life is determined by choosing the right options, not how many of them you have.

-JoeJoe
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Nov 18, 2014, JoeJoe wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 18, 2014, acesover wrote:
Now tell us where the bottom 80% begins and ends and your numbers might mean something. Get this through your head. There will always be super wealthy people. There will always we extremely poor people. Is that fair? The answer is yes.

It is strange when someone tells you 80% of the people are poorer than the other 20% as if they expect you to be able to do something about that (duh).

For those that don't understand the economy ... the differences in wages is the result of inflation; the higher the inflation the greater the difference will be. It is simple basic math. If you have $1 and $10 ... and then let inflation sink in, you end up with $1.50 and $15 dollar. The higher inflation, the greater the difference.

The problem is not that poor people don't make enough, or that rich people make too much ... the problem is inflation distorting the numbers.

The absolute difference is greater, but the ratio stays the same, if inflation were the only factor.

I suspect that the ratio's increasing; inflation doesn't explain that away.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Quote:
On Nov 18, 2014, slowkneenuh wrote:
it's not quite as simple as you portray it

Are you referring to my math? If you have $1 and $10 ... and then let inflation sink in, you end up with $1.50 and $15 dollar. The higher inflation, the greater the difference.

That is it in a nutshell. If the value of a dollar goes up through inflation (you have $1, and it is now worth $1.50) and someone has 10 of them, that person now has the purchasing power of $15 whereas you only have the purchasing power of $1.50. Thus, the higher inflation goes the more wealth people with wealth gain.

Which is why despite all the great intentions, the rich keep getting richer and the poor keep getting poorer.

You act as if I am making some cold decision ... no, my emotions and feelings are completely irrelevant to the numbers on the ground. None of your feelings matter either. If we keep borrowing money that doesn't exist to pay for things we don't really need, the economy is going to collapse. All the fuzzy bunnies in the world won't stop that.

Don't you get it? By increasing minimum wage, you increase inflation, thus rich people's money will be worth more. You will gain 50 cents, they will gain $5 dollars. Six years later, you do it all over again expecting different results. Don't you realize all of your historical references you cite about how evil rich people are only confirm exactly what I'm telling you? Wise up and break the cycle already. Rich people are sticking it to you in the back and you are doing all the heavy lifting for them.

-JoeJoe
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Quote:
On Nov 18, 2014, JoeJoe wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 18, 2014, slowkneenuh wrote:
it's not quite as simple as you portray it

Are you referring to my math? If you have $1 and $10 ... and then let inflation drive the cost of a dollar up 50 cents, you end up with $1.50 and $15 dollar. The higher inflation, the greater the difference.

That is it in a nutshell. If the value of a dollar goes up through inflation (you have $1, and it is now worth $1.50) and someone has 10 of them, that person now has the purchasing power of $15 whereas you only have the purchasing power of $1.50. Thus, the higher inflation goes the more wealth people with wealth gain.

Which is why despite all the great intentions, the rich keep getting richer and the poor keep getting poorer.

You act as if I am making some cold decision ... no, my emotions and feelings are completely irrelevant to the numbers on the ground. None of your feelings matter either. If we keep borrowing money that doesn't exist to pay for things we don't really need, the economy is going to collapse. All the fuzzy bunnies in the world won't stop that.

Don't you get it? By increasing minimum wage, you increase inflation, thus rich people's money will be worth more. You will gain 50 cents, they will gain $5 dollars. Six years later, you do it all over again expecting different results. Don't you realize all of your historical references you cite about how evil rich people are only confirm exactly what I'm telling you? Wise up and break the cycle already. Rich people are sticking it to you in the back and you are doing all the heavy lifting for them.

-JoeJoe
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Is it time to question "Whatever the market will bear"? (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL