The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Fill Your Head With Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4376 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
I remember an LP,long playing record for those who don't know what it means,with the almost same title FILL YOUR HEAD WITH ROCK,dam good album from the 70's by the way.Anyway what I mean to say is I am beginning to get frustrated with forgetting old routines,old material that I have used in the past and sometimes I may watch a magic performance or show ,dvd and think,i have somthing that might fit that,arh what's it called?,how did it go?.I love magic in all shape and form from close up to Mentalism,spooky,Illusion,but because I love it so much and it is now a very big part in my life, I HATE forgetting stuff,yes, sign of age ,i am now 54,but I am still FILLING MY HEAD WITH MAGIC,i need more INPUT as johnny 5 would say.So do folk feel the same,as we learn more of the new stuff comming out we will bound to forget the old.Such a shame and just thought I would share with you mind reader's,of course you already know that RIGHT?,but the more we fill our heads with new stuff, how the hell do we remember the old?.
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1582 Posts

Profile of innercirclewannabe
Problem is that a lot of the 'new stuff' is just the 'old stuff', but done badly! I don't buy much stuff at all these days. I have all I need for paid performances, and in many ways, I am still honing & refining what I own.
Tá sé ach cleas má dhéanann tú sé cuma mhaith ar cheann.
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4376 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Quote:
On Nov 14, 2014, innercirclewannabe wrote:
Problem is that a lot of the 'new stuff' is just the 'old stuff', but done badly! I don't buy much stuff at all these days. I have all I need for paid performances, and in many ways, I am still honing & refining what I own.

Thank you for you quick and concise reply,and as you say,quite agree in SOME circumstance's,YES,a lot of the 'new stuff' is just the 'old stuff', but done badly!.
C.J.
View Profile
Inner circle
There's a lotta rambling in my
2366 Posts

Profile of C.J.
I'm not sure that learning new necessarily displaces old, although I can relate to what you are saying. I guess that the answer is to train our minds not to focus on new and old, but to focus on allowing the good to displace the poor. Sure, there are times when I've been in the same position as you - having a great idea, and then later not being able to remember it or where it came from. But maybe this is a sign that the idea wasn't as good (and therefore as memorable) as we originally thought?
Connor Jacobs - The Thought Sculptor
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Be fondly remembered.
Mifune
View Profile
Loyal user
Spain
265 Posts

Profile of Mifune
In my case when I revisit my older stuff I see things that the new stuff has taught me. So the new adds to the old and makes it better.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I'll never forget my old stuff, since I still perform it. Smile
MVoss
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, MA
372 Posts

Profile of MVoss
Maybe you should look into some kind of database for your material and thoughts.
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4376 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Quote:
On Nov 14, 2014, MVoss wrote:
Maybe you should look into some kind of database for your material and thoughts.

That is a good idea,a record of what I have and the routine it is performed in,log it all in a booklet typed up,may be better then trying to remember whatbook.DVD or instruction paper tricks and routines are in .
bdekolta
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1636 Posts

Profile of bdekolta
I've used the system outlined in Henry Hay's Amateur Magicians Handbook for quit some time. It works quite well. Fun to look through your entries from time to time.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Fill Your Head With Magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL