The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Studying Hypnosis (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TheUltimateSudo
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of TheUltimateSudo
Hi
I am studying hypnosis, but so far haven't properly had the chance to practice (I've tried the odd time but haven't been successful)
I have read quite a few books on the subject, and I was wondering if anyone could give advice as to anything I'm missing/what I might be doing wrong?
I've read the following books:
  • Hypnotism and Self-Hypnosis - Ralph Slater
  • Hypnotism - Canon
  • The truth about Hypnotism - Sidney Petrie with Robert B Stone
  • The Science of Hypnotism - Young
  • The Encyclopedia of Genuine Stage Hypnotism - Ormond McGill
  • Reality Is Plastic - Anthony Jaquin
  • Tricks of the Mind - Derren Brown (If you count it - there is a section on Hypnosis
  • The Confessions of a Hypnotist - Jonathan Royle (I haven't finished reading this one)

So I have done a lot of research, and know lots of the theory around hypnosis. just I'm not getting success putting it into practice - I'm trying on fellow 16-year-olds at school, who have known me since I was 11 (before I got my interest in hypnosis) would that have an impact on success rates?

I was just wondering if anyone culd offer any advice?
Also, What are the laws/regulations with regards to Hypnosis in the UK - in what cases is it allowed on stage? do you need licenses? Is it allowed out of theatre without a license?
I'm not trying to start a debate here, just asking for informativer reasons - I'm pretty sure this fits within the rules for this forum

Thanks
Robert Soane
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Trying on other 16 year olds who have known you since you were 11 is the first problem. They already know you as NOT a hypnotist and breaking past that can often be impossible.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Agreed. first rule of learning hypnosis is to get proper training. Second rule is to never try hypnosis on family and friends as you are learning. You, like many other newbies art literally setting yourself up for failure. Reading a few books does not make one a hypnotist.

Proper training will teach you what you need to know, give you the opportunity to practice and apply hypnosis in a proper setting and give you more real world, hands-on instruction to assist you and prevent you from doing things wrong or incorrectly.

The biggest problem from learning hypnosis by books, is content is often up to the reader's interpretation. I've seen it more times than not, that they then begin to apply what they think they've read or studied and are making drastic mistakes and preventative actions. However, they do not know or realize it and therefore keep proceeding and doing this incorrectly which will continue to work against them and prevent the desired outcome.
TheUltimateSudo
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Thanks guys.

Where do you recommend I get training?
I understand that some of the big names in the UK such as Martin Taylor learnt from books, as I believe did Derren Brown initially (not too sure about Derren, but pretty sure about Martin)
I know that obviously they then went on to take proper training, but is it possible to teach yourself the basics from books, or is it likely that they are hiding stuff from us?
also how much does training cost? and can you recommend anywhere in the UK?
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1597 Posts

Profile of innercirclewannabe
Yes, it is very possible to learn from books and DVD's, IMO. That is how I did it. I have never gone on a training course ( although I would like to one day). This hasn't stopped me from hypnotising people for paid performances, coupled with other marketing endeavors in hypnosis.
Tá sé ach cleas má dhéanann tú sé cuma mhaith ar cheann.
TheUltimateSudo
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Assuming it is possible to learn through books only (I'm on a budget of about £30/month - not much for hypnosis seminars) is there any other advice you can offer?
Also, are there any other books you'd recommend?

Thanks
Robert
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1597 Posts

Profile of innercirclewannabe
PM'd you..
Tá sé ach cleas má dhéanann tú sé cuma mhaith ar cheann.
quicknotist
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of quicknotist
I guess it depends on the friends and family.
The first person I successfully hypnotised off-stage was my first mother-in-law. Then next, a whole stream of willing friends let me practice on them, with varying degrees of success. It taught me a lot.
troy16
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of troy16
Sent PM
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Studying Hypnosis (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL