The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Astral Enigma: Birthday Divination (36 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Adrien L.
View Profile
Elite user
477 Posts

Profile of Adrien L.
I just saw this available at Penguin. I still would like to know a little bit more about the differences between this and Atlas' CloudNine, but besides that, there are three things that "scare" me a bit about the description: does it have to be a female spectator? Does the spectator really needs a smartphone or a calculator would do? And, finally, the description says the spectator can keep the performer's card. Does that mean that we or the spectator need to write on the card?
E.E.
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of E.E.
Quote:
On Nov 24, 2014, Adrien Lochon wrote:
I just saw this available at Penguin. I still would like to know a little bit more about the differences between this and Atlas' CloudNine, but besides that, there are three things that "scare" me a bit about the description: does it have to be a female spectator? Does the spectator really needs a smartphone or a calculator would do? And, finally, the description says the spectator can keep the performer's card. Does that mean that we or the spectator need to write on the card?

Hi Adrien, I already read the effect, I'll post a review in a moment. I can answer your questions though.

1- No, it does not have to be a female spectator, it can be done on anyone.
2- No, does not have to be a smartphone, any calculator or cellphone with calculator will do. But who carry around a calculator?
3- Well, it can be done with out writing anything, but is more interesting the way Andreu describes it.

Regards. Smile
I shall see you on the other side.
Adrien L.
View Profile
Elite user
477 Posts

Profile of Adrien L.
Quote:
On Nov 25, 2014, Ever Elizalde wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 24, 2014, Adrien Lochon wrote:

Hi Adrien, I already read the effect, I'll post a review in a moment. I can answer your questions though.

1- No, it does not have to be a female spectator, it can be done on anyone.
2- No, does not have to be a smartphone, any calculator or cellphone with calculator will do. But who carry around a calculator?
3- Well, it can be done with out writing anything, but is more interesting the way Andreu describes it.

Regards. Smile

Thank you!

Yeah, no one carries a calculator... But in my case I don't even have a smartphone and I just wanted to make sure I had options.

This does seem interesting. Now the only question is how is this different from CloudNine... but I'll wait for a review Smile
E.E.
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of E.E.
My review is here: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......c=571992 Smile check it out

Ever.
I shall see you on the other side.
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3602 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
If it were cheaper I'd try it out and post a review but I already have too many birthday revelations that work perfectly for me so the price is outside of my curiosity threshold.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Ophiuchus is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=ophiuchus
Totally Free Will is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=totally-free-will
Relick666
View Profile
Special user
611 Posts

Profile of Relick666
Hey gentlemen.

Astral Enigma can be ordered now via Penguin Magic:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/4976

Thanks!

Andreu.
Paul S Wingham
View Profile
Inner circle
1364 Posts

Profile of Paul S Wingham
The key for me is that in order to go "propless" the trade off is that you typically introduce some maths either by way of a calculation or binary. IS1 and IS2 were so good because you ask them to do something that you can even call out could not be reversed and that they can more often than not do in their head and then that's it. As soon as you start saying "times this number to this number" "add this to this" "take away that" it starts to feel very procedural and I genuinely think people (whether they say it or not) think its a mathematical equation. In my opinion that is why it is sometimes best to overlay methodology which again is why IS is so good.

Its a quandry. I love these sorts of divination, but I equally don't need another mathematical variation on the theme unless its clear what beenfits there are, but I appreciate its hard to explain without tipping the method of this or other varioations.
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3053 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
ASTRAL ENIGMA: A Review

I was very impressed by Andreu's "Legion" (though I thought it could have done with further testing and refining-a common fault in products these days), but I found this to be nowhere near as strong.

The routine has no internal consistency -the first two phases are random numbers generated for no reason and then combined for no reason. (Ever Elizalde's suggestion in the additional notes seems far superior to me and should have been explored further in the main body of the text, but even there you run into problems). The eventual generation of the day and month involves another bit of arithmetic that generates answers that could easily give away part of the method (if the birthday is in January for instance, and your initial number was 1-purchasers will hopefully follow me here!)

I also think any effect that requires the participant to use a smart phone calculator to do sums, then switch to the smart phone pad, then switch back to a calculator is-how shall I put it-less than elegantly constructed! I also think that if you are going to use a smart phone calculator, there are vastly simpler ways to divine a birth date, with a little thought.

The effect follows Cloud 9 in being wrapped within a numerology reading. I think this works well in Cloud 9 but feels badly motivated here. I also think combining a reading and a calculator just feels "off", aesthetically. I feel someone reading you shouldn't be anywhere near technology. Just a personal feeling.

All that said, if you have some spare cash, I probably would still consider checking this out. At its heart is a mathematical principle that could possibly be polished into something great. This isn't it though, for me.

I'm sorry not to be more positive. As I said, I think Legion is absolutely terrific and well worth purchasing. But for me, Cloud 9 is in the lead in the Birthday Divination charts.
Relick666
View Profile
Special user
611 Posts

Profile of Relick666
Quote:
On Nov 26, 2014, Martin Pulman wrote:
ASTRAL ENIGMA: A Review

I was very impressed by Andreu's "Legion" (though I thought it could have done with further testing and refining-a common fault in products these days), but I found this to be nowhere near as strong.

The routine has no internal consistency -the first two phases are random numbers generated for no reason and then combined for no reason. (Ever Elizalde's suggestion in the additional notes seems far superior to me and should have been explored further in the main body of the text, but even there you run into problems). The eventual generation of the day and month involves another bit of arithmetic that generates answers that could easily give away part of the method (if the birthday is in January for instance, and your initial number was 1-purchasers will hopefully follow me here!)

I also think any effect that requires the participant to use a smart phone calculator to do sums, then switch to the smart phone pad, then switch back to a calculator is-how shall I put it-less than elegantly constructed! I also think that if you are going to use a smart phone calculator, there are vastly simpler ways to divine a birth date, with a little thought.

The effect follows Cloud 9 in being wrapped within a numerology reading. I think this works well in Cloud 9 but feels badly motivated here. I also think combining a reading and a calculator just feels "off", aesthetically. I feel someone reading you shouldn't be anywhere near technology. Just a personal feeling.

All that said, if you have some spare cash, I probably would still consider checking this out. At its heart is a mathematical principle that could possibly be polished into something great. This isn't it though, for me.

I'm sorry not to be more positive. As I said, I think Legion is absolutely terrific and well worth purchasing. But for me, Cloud 9 is in the lead in the Birthday Divination charts.

Hey Martin, thanks for your review.

As you say, the principle applies to a lot more of stuff out there, like easily getting ahead, if you know what I mean.

It's a shame you didn't enjoy it as much as expected, but nonetheless thanks for your feedback!

Andreu.
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3727 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
Thanks for your review Martin.
ChrisCook
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of ChrisCook
I use iunlock a lot and really like it. Mainly because I also do pickpocketing so it's great to reveal their birthday, then their PIN number, then ask them to check in their wallet only to find I have their PIN number and their debit card. I know Peter Turner's method and have seen both his explanation of Isabella's Star on his Freeform Mentalism DVD plus I own Isabella's Star 2 (the book). It's really good but I don't feel like it's really a method best suited to me. Definitely worth investing in though.

I can't view the Cloud Nine link though. Just says I don't have permission. Anyone know why?
ChrisCook
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of ChrisCook
I'm not really an active member of the Café so if it's something about being a lurker and not a frequent poster then I would understand. Maybe it's locked to only members who have posted about their opinions X number of times ;-)
ChrisCook
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of ChrisCook
Also, do I have to post to subscribe to a topic?
Remillard
View Profile
New user
Mississauga, On
84 Posts

Profile of Remillard
Chris;

Thread is in the locked section of the Café. You need at least 50 posts to access that area,
Remillard
View Profile
New user
Mississauga, On
84 Posts

Profile of Remillard
Quote:
On Jan 7, 2015, Remillard wrote:
Chris;

Thread is in the locked section of the Café. You need at least 50 posts to access that area,

And that just put me one post closer. Smile
ChrisCook
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of ChrisCook
Well that's a bit silly. Do I know just post a load of nonsense to get my post count up?
ChrisCook
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of ChrisCook
Like this one...
ChrisCook
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of ChrisCook
I'm going to see where I can cash in my ten years as a professional magician for 50 posts on a forum for hobbyists...

I kid. This serves me right for lurking so long and never engaging in discussions.
Relick666
View Profile
Special user
611 Posts

Profile of Relick666
Quote:
On Jan 7, 2015, ChrisCook wrote:
I use iunlock a lot and really like it. Mainly because I also do pickpocketing so it's great to reveal their birthday, then their PIN number, then ask them to check in their wallet only to find I have their PIN number and their debit card. I know Peter Turner's method and have seen both his explanation of Isabella's Star on his Freeform Mentalism DVD plus I own Isabella's Star 2 (the book). It's really good but I don't feel like it's really a method best suited to me. Definitely worth investing in though.

I can't view the Cloud Nine link though. Just says I don't have permission. Anyone know why?

I think it may have been removed? If you contact Atlas he may send you his birthday divination.

Best regards,

Andreu.
Relick666
View Profile
Special user
611 Posts

Profile of Relick666
Quote:
On Nov 26, 2014, Paul S Wingham wrote:
The key for me is that in order to go "propless" the trade off is that you typically introduce some maths either by way of a calculation or binary. IS1 and IS2 were so good because you ask them to do something that you can even call out could not be reversed and that they can more often than not do in their head and then that's it. As soon as you start saying "times this number to this number" "add this to this" "take away that" it starts to feel very procedural and I genuinely think people (whether they say it or not) think its a mathematical equation. In my opinion that is why it is sometimes best to overlay methodology which again is why IS is so good.

Its a quandry. I love these sorts of divination, but I equally don't need another mathematical variation on the theme unless its clear what beenfits there are, but I appreciate its hard to explain without tipping the method of this or other varioations.

FYI, There are no equations to be used in Astral Enigma.

If you're interested in a review copy, PM me.

Best regards,

Andreu.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Astral Enigma: Birthday Divination (36 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL