We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Ouellet's coin vanish (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27166 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On Nov 27, 2014, Lawrens Godon wrote:
I bet that there could be a nice visual retention if performed properly.

The angles on that approach are limited and critical. Sudden action easily attracts the wrong kind of attention.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1869 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Wizzard, see my post above, although mine's the hardcover edition. There's a difference in the receiving hand. I think the original, in Bobo's, is the better of the two. However, I can see what Ouellet was trying to do.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6785 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Done casually while engaging the onlooker, it can be quite disarming. It should never be done with a "look, I'll place this coin into my hand" attitude. Obviously.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27166 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On Nov 27, 2014, magicfish wrote:
Done casually while engaging the onlooker, it can be quite disarming. ...

the moment where you show a coin on your palm is a strong focus/attention draw. after that you need a couple of strong draws to keep folks from backtracking with a glance. Andrew Galloway discusses that a little in his first video.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
inhumaninferno
View Profile
Elite user
452 Posts

Profile of inhumaninferno
Moves/action is too soft. Make it a touch more deliberate and work on the display/choreography a bit and I believe you'll have an effective sleight.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6785 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Nov 28, 2014, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 27, 2014, magicfish wrote:
Done casually while engaging the onlooker, it can be quite disarming. ...

the moment where you show a coin on your palm is a strong focus/attention draw. after that you need a couple of strong draws to keep folks from backtracking with a glance. Andrew Galloway discusses that a little in his first video.

Yes he does. But I don't necessarily agree with your statement. Perhaps you are merely flipping a coin to decide an indecision about dinner. The coin lands on your palm and you transfer it.
You aren't "showing a coin on your palm" as you state. That would be magic suicide.
Ouellet made great use of the coin flip before a transfer.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9135 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On Nov 28, 2014, magicfish wrote:
That would be magic suicide.

Wow! usually I have no problem with your posts, but this is one could adversely effect some new coin folks.

Being able to display the coin actually in the Receiving Hand after the transfer is the ideal situation. Next best is displaying the Passing hands to be empty after the Transfer.

These actions are Faked in many ways, and the Fake Take options of le tournequet type moves is but one ...

what was being discussed here is variations of one restricted method that might be ideal in certain settings -- hardly one that is recommended in most situations.

far from suicide, there are False Transfer methods in which the coin is actually transferred over to the Receiving Hand, observed there, but then winds up back in the Passing Hand.

Similarly, a coin can be visibly Taken from the the Passing Hand, the Passing Hand displayed empty and the False Transfer still achieved in the end.

This cannot be done in all situations either -- so, a combination of different methods can reenforce each other to change Implication to Inference
and eliminate the need for any reconstruction at all.

For me, the only suicide is to lock your thinking into only one type of Method and forever seek enhancements.

Instead, one can consider the end result desired, the perceptions of the audience within the framing of the effects and the positions of hands and body before the desired false move--
then the best Method can be selected. The last consideration should be what the performer "thinks is neat." The Sleight should never drive the effect --

or so I was taught almost 60 years ago.

Thus, I applaud the efforts here to make a Sleight BETTER, but would never use this technique since I cannot imagine a setting in which it would be the BEST choice of Sleight available.

By way of analogy, I am am sure there are better ways of cooking turnips than the ones I know, but it doesn't matter since I would never serve turnips at a dinner party --
there being so many other vegetables more likely to appeal to mixed company. Serving turnips could be a party killer or even social suicide,
but that will never mean that serving vegetables is bad. The ideal is to make a dish so enticing that folks don't even ask what is in it.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5339 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Smile

Jim
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6785 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Funsway wrote:

far from suicide, there are False Transfer methods in which the coin is actually transferred over to the Receiving Hand, observed there, but then winds up back in the Passing Hand. 

Of course there are. I was referring to the move in the video.
To perform it as a complete piece starting by directing attention to the coin on your palm
Would be magic suicide. In my opinion of course.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Ouellet's coin vanish (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL