The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Stay Cool by Tobias Dostal (12 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
PendletonThe3rd
View Profile
Special user
700 Posts

Profile of PendletonThe3rd
Got this today but unfortunately have not had a chance to really delve into it! Hope to tomorrow!

I have to reserve judgement until I do but my original impression is that the gimmick is pretty clever! I do wonder about the durability of it though but again, I really need to watch everything and play around with it. That's was just the first thing that popped into head as I opened it.

Looking fwd to having fun with this.

Wooooooo!
peacegroovy
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of peacegroovy
Wow! The color changes look amazing! What's the quality of the sunglasses provided like?
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8251 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Joakley's.
seanksutton
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of seanksutton
Quote:
On Nov 22, 2014, peacegroovy wrote:
Wow! The color changes look amazing! What's the quality of the sunglasses provided like?

I would also like to know some more about this... Does anyone actually have this and are willing to write a review?
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4833 Posts

Profile of RNK
I got it yesterday. I really like it. There is a cosmetic issue with my gimmick. I am hoping Illusionist will make it right. I like the glasses, they say on the DVD that the glasses are of good quality. They seem to be well made. The moves are not that difficult. The gimmick is super easy to work. The instructions are presented well by Tobias.

The packaging is top notch. A great case that will store everything very nicely and keep it all safe.

I am hoping I just got a faulty gimmick because I do really like this and would definately use this.

RNK
Sashac
View Profile
Inner circle
1008 Posts

Profile of Sashac
If anyone is selling one in Europe, I'll buy it from you!
seanksutton
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of seanksutton
Can you give us some specifications concerning the "cosmetic issue"?
Sashac
View Profile
Inner circle
1008 Posts

Profile of Sashac
Do you get a dvd or link to a download?
PendletonThe3rd
View Profile
Special user
700 Posts

Profile of PendletonThe3rd
I was finally able to give this some attention. And indeed the gimmick for the color change is super clever and awesome. When watching the demo, I kind of figured it was something like this but the actual gimmick still surprised and delighted me, when received, as it was actually more complex that what I thought it would be.

I still think durability will be an issue, though, as there are some things I can foresee happening to it in the future. Overall quality of the gimmick, though, is nice. Not amazing or superb…but nice.

The glasses themselves are fine too. For $40, don't expect Ray Bans, but they are decent nevertheless.

Some super minor prep, on the glasses, is needed that is mentioned on the DVD. I followed the instruction but for some reason, the glasses don't have the intended property that the prep is supposed to facilitate. I will keep trying but this is keeping me from doing the basic Stay Cool production and holding me back a bit.

Don't worry about the prep, by the way. There is nothing done to it that will make the glasses impractical or cumbersome. Just little things you can do to make the moves easier.

The DVD is very thorough with a lot of nice ideas, insights, and routines. It's amazing to see how much Tobias can do with this. A lot of fun to watch as he is truly talented.

Like RNK said, the moves themselves are not that difficult but this is not easy by any means. It will require a bunch of practice to get it looking as good and smooth as Toby...Which is a good thing as anything worth doing well takes time.

Like I said earlier, though, some of the properties of the glasses themselves are holding me back a bit (even after the minor prep) so I'm definitely nowhere near ready on this. I'll just keep at it though and hope to get it down at some point.

Overall, I'm glad I got this as it's a very fun piece and great overall package.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4833 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Nov 23, 2014, seanksutton wrote:
Can you give us some specifications concerning the "cosmetic issue"?

I can't go into specifics without revealing the method. Though, I can say Illusionist replied promptly and stated they are sending out a new one today. My thoughts are- if you take care of the gimmick it should last a while. Not sure how long a while would be but maybe Illusionist will start to offer selling replacements. I for one would be interested because I know I will be using this.

RNK
seanksutton
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of seanksutton
Awesome! Thanks RNK! That's what I needed to know!
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4833 Posts

Profile of RNK
The minor prep that's involved may not have to be done. This is Tobias' suggestion. I did not do the one part of the prep and the appearance is still striking! The other prep that everybody should do will literally take 1 second, ok, maybe 2 seconds.

RNK
seanksutton
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of seanksutton
Sounds great! I can totally see myself using this to get over being nervous while doing magic:
1.) walk up to someone
2.) have them pick a random card
3.) fail at mind reading
4.) slap cards out of spectators hand
5.) make sunglasses appear
6.) yell "DEAL WITH IT!"
7.) run away
seanksutton
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of seanksutton
Do you think anyone could upload some pics of the sunglasses in each phase without revealing anything? The pictures in Ellusionist are nice, but don't really let you see the glasses in full view. Any pics would be sweet!
SimonTheSorcerer
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of SimonTheSorcerer
First purchase at Ellusionist relates to first post at MagicCafe! HELLO!

I got this and having the same problem with the preparation. I think the reason is that they are cheap. You don't get the glasses shown in the trailer. You get cheap H&M sunglasses. If you watch the DVD you notice that you have to do the preperation on another spot because you don't get the stylish ones seen there.

If anyone getting the "Woooh production" to work, please post. Very good DVD with a lot of ideas...if the glasses would work.
SimonTheSorcerer
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Here you can see how they look like To expose nothing these are the cheap H&M ones...BUT they are identical!

Click here to view/download attached file.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4833 Posts

Profile of RNK
I will say SimonTheSorcerer- I was practicing last night with these and am having no problem with the basic appearance move. Also- I did not modify my glasses as Tobias suggests. I have to say I am having a lot of fun with this.

RNK
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4833 Posts

Profile of RNK
Also Simon- are you sure those are not the same glasses? How do you know? They look the same to me. Now you have me curious......
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2422 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
If there not the same glades as on there ad then this is miss leading big time. Wont be buying anytime soon.
SimonTheSorcerer
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Yes I am sure and I am very upset because I paid a lot of shipping and customs:

glasses in the DVD have a violet gradient in the glas. mine are just black
on the dvd the preperation is done at the top. I have to do it on the bottom.

Still don't get them to work properly

In the DVD he shows the glasses several times and says the will last long because of their good quality. I got $5 sunglasses (coming in a box that is - I guess - more expensive than the glasses itselfs) and really feel cheated.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Stay Cool by Tobias Dostal (12 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL