We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » New to the I.B.M.! (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Mike Gilbert
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas, Nevada
376 Posts

Profile of Mike Gilbert
Hello everyone!
My name is Mike, and I live in Las Vegas!
I am new to the Café, and I am also a new member of the I.B.M.!
I haven't looked into my local ring yet, but I was just wondering what your thoughts were on the national level, and what, if anything, to look for or take advantage of as a member.
Like I said, I am new, so I just want to make the very best of this experience and enjoy all she has to offer! Any guidance would be truly appreciated! I look forward to getting to know all of you!

-Mike
-Mike Gilbert Smile

"Most of us have two lives. The life we live, and the unlived life within us. Between the two stands Resistance."- Steven Pressfield
jefferson8888
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of jefferson8888
Wow we are the same! I'm new to IBM and new to magic Café!
Mike Gilbert
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas, Nevada
376 Posts

Profile of Mike Gilbert
Welcome jefferson8888! You're the only person I've heard from in this particular forum! Glad to have you aboard! What part of the world are you coming to us from?
-Mike Gilbert Smile

"Most of us have two lives. The life we live, and the unlived life within us. Between the two stands Resistance."- Steven Pressfield
Brian Thomas
View Profile
New user
Virginia
61 Posts

Profile of Brian Thomas
Hello Mike and Jefferson8888. I'm also new to the Café. As of late I have been looking through the IBM and SAM forums -- joining one or the other has been on my mind for a while now. When I was a youngster back in the the late 60s and early 70s I was a member of a Youth Ring in Norfolk, Virginia (we met at a Magic Shop owned by magician Earl Edwards) and because of that I am leaning toward IBM (Ring 103 is named for Earl Edwards). On a national level I am looking forward to the magazines and yearly conventions. Locally I am hoping to eventually join a Ring and meet others whom I can share ideas with, learn from, and do something one simply cannot do over the Internet...meet and talk in person. - Tom
Mike Gilbert
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas, Nevada
376 Posts

Profile of Mike Gilbert
Welcome aboard Tom! I am also looking at joining my local ring here in Las Vegas eventually. It will be great experience and commraderie to say the least! I'm happy to see so many new people joining the Café. I don't feel like a total newbie loner lol.
-Mike Gilbert Smile

Brian Thomas
View Profile
New user
Virginia
61 Posts

Profile of Brian Thomas
Thank you Mike. It's hard to believe that I have reached the age of 58 and never journeyed to Las Vegas...especially with my interest in magic. Retirement is right around the corner and a trip there is on my list. And I know how you feel about being a newbie here...nice to know there are others.
Mike Gilbert
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas, Nevada
376 Posts

Profile of Mike Gilbert
We'd love to see you out here Brian!
-Mike Gilbert Smile

Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Welcome Onion, Jefferson, and Brian! Brian, I have very fond memories of Earl's Magic Shoppe in Norfolk. As a young airman stationed at Langley AFB in Hampton, I made many trips to Norfolk to visit Earl, his doves, and his remarkable shop. I was a member of the Newport News SAM Assembly back then - which has since moved to Williamsburg, I'm told.

Las Vegas has a very active and prospering Ring, I'm told. Bill Robinson was a dear and well-missed friend who was very active in the Vegas Ring. Let me know if I can help you gentlemen.

Skip
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Mike Gilbert
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas, Nevada
376 Posts

Profile of Mike Gilbert
Thanks Skip! I know the Las Vegas Ring (257) meets at Las Vegas Pro Magic (formerly Denny & Lee), and they host many lectures. My friend Chris Randall is the VP. I should really talk to him about it...
Any advice of things to look forward to, be aware of, or avoid on the national IBM level?
-Mike Gilbert Smile

jefferson8888
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of jefferson8888
Hello Mike! I'm from the Philippines. Hope to meet some of you guys in the future!
Mike Gilbert
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas, Nevada
376 Posts

Profile of Mike Gilbert
Likewise Jefferson!
-Mike Gilbert Smile

Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Well, "When you are green, you can get ripe. When you are ripe, you just get rotten!"

I'm a 65 year member of IBM, and a 40 year member of SAM. --I guess I'm getting rotten.

I joined IBM in '50. A year later, I was in the Navy, and was sent to NORFOLK, VA. So, the old EdMar Shop was at 418 Boush St., and I found a "home" away from home. Earl Edwards, owner, became my best friend. I joined 103 and remained a member until '55, when I was discharged. I think I'm the only one still living from those days. Even the guys who were my age, then, have died. (Bob McAllister, and Jerry Ornoff were younger than I was, but both have since died.)

"Doc" Karland Frischkorn died in '54, and the ring was first named after him. When Earl died, 103 was renamed the Earl H. Edwards Ring.

I have many fond memories of Earl, the EdMar Shop (I learned to work behind the counter, there!) Ring 103, and Norfolk. I came there in '51, as a teenager, and left four years later as a young man.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Mike Gilbert
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas, Nevada
376 Posts

Profile of Mike Gilbert
Ahoy Shipmate! I joined the Navy in 2000 and started in Japan. A couple of years later, I transfered out to San Diego, right at the tail-end of Brad Burt's shop. Sad that it closed. It was a great shop. That's where I picked up the bug again for the first time since I was a kid. Life and a wife got in the way. Fast forward 10 years. AFter serving in both the Navy and the Army, I left all of that and started focusing on my hobbies (or what I wanted them to be). I joined the IBM a couple of months ago, and I'm basically starting from scratch...but now I'm enjoying the journey Smile Eventually I'll check out my local ring and hopefully flourish from there Smile
-Mike Gilbert Smile

Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hey Mike!
I just did 4 years. Jan. ('51--Jan '55) Believe it (or else!) I never left Norfolk VA! I tell my friends that I was in the Navy in the "days of wooden ships, and iron men"! --and, now, we're all rusty! I came out a YN2, --I couldn't make YN1 as I had no sea duty! Long story there, not worth talking about. I joined at 19. I grew up a lot, learned a lot, generally enjoyed my four years, and got college out of it. Tbe Navy was good to/for me!

I was in Burt's shop only once about 20 years ago, when I was playing California schools for National Assemblies. I drove down to San Diego to visit with the late J. P. Jackson. He was a collector of magic props, and retired Navy. I had two chevrons and a "crow" on my uniform, and he had had four gold stripes with a star on his xleeve! As a young man, he had been a carny,and I had been, too. He was a joint man (win a prize every time!) I was learning the magic business in a ten in one. In the Navy, I had been Scoutmaster of a Troop at the Armed Forces Staff College in Norfolk. The Commandant was a two star Admiral. His son was in the troop. THAT didn't hurt! My first Eagle Scout just retired from the army with two stars on his collar! I got him started in magic back then.

Enough of the "sea stories"! At my age, I'm "welded to the dock". Not much chance of visiting Vegas again. If you see Mac King, say "hello" for me. He and Lance B.,when they were kids, used to sit in front of me and Gene Anderson at Abbott's GTG.

As we say in the business: "See ya down the road!"
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Mike Gilbert
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas, Nevada
376 Posts

Profile of Mike Gilbert
Always a great story! I started out as a PN on a Spruance Class destroyer and soon converted to MA (Master-at-Arms); coming out as an MA2. After that, I came home to Vegas and joined the Army Reserve, and eventually the National Guard. I picked up my E6 there and left for good as a Master Recruiter and instructor.

I would have loved to have experienced that classic period of carnies and the like. Just a different time altogether. I've been meaning to catch Mac's show for a while now! I got to see Lance's show probably about 6 years ago I'd say. It's crazy they used to hang out and perform together being that they're so different performance-wise! Always a good time!
-Mike Gilbert Smile

Bill Evans
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of Bill Evans
Hi Mike. Welcome to the IBM. You should really check out the member benefits on our website at http://www.magician.org/join-the-ibm/benefits. It has some good information for you on the many benefits of being an IBM member. Be sure to check out Roberto Giobbi's free download of Introduction to Card Magic. Even if you are a seasoned card man, there is some great information on performing magic contained in the descriptions of the effects. On the opposite end of the spectrum, this is the best place to start if you are new to card magic. Something for everyone. Roberto was very generous in allowing us to give this to our members for free. I did an interview with Roberto in the February 2013 issue of the Linking Ring when this first came out and Roberto's answers were very interesting. Thanks to the Endowment & Development Foundation of the IBM, you can go online and read any past issue of the Linking Ring. Also, you might want to take advantage of the free profile web page for members that you can use as a link with your promotional material. These are just a few of the many benefits that members can enjoy.

Good luck and thanks for becoming an IBM member. I hope you become active in your local Ring and at the International level as well. We are always looking for volunteers to work on committees, so if you are interested, contact the International Office.

Bill Evans
Legal Advisor
Past International President, 2013-2014
International Brotherhood of Magicians
Kbuck54
View Profile
Veteran user
344 Posts

Profile of Kbuck54
Welcome to the Show raging_onion. Enjoy the Magic.
Keith Shazam
SHAZAM!
Mike Gilbert
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas, Nevada
376 Posts

Profile of Mike Gilbert
Thanks for the warm welcome Bill and Keith! I appreciate the advice, and I'll definitely take a deeper look into all there is to enjoy!
-Mike Gilbert Smile

Mark Williams
View Profile
Elite user
Las Vegas, Nevada
498 Posts

Profile of Mark Williams
Mike, Welcome to the IBM and enjoy the journey. I just reached the Merlin Shield level of membership. I am an International member and see most of the Ring 257 folks over at Boomers (Wednesday nights). Plus, Jeff McBride hosts the Magic Wonderground (Third Thursday of every month)over at The Olive, near where I live. Check it out if you get the chance.

Best Magical Regards,

Mark Williams
"Once is Magic!! Twice is an Education!!"
Mike Gilbert
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas, Nevada
376 Posts

Profile of Mike Gilbert
Thank you Mark, and congratulations on your Merlin Shield status! I have heard about the Boomers crowd. Does Gary Darwin still host that event? I met Jeff at Denny & Lee's once and he told me about Wonderground, but I never got the chance to attend. I definitely want to check both of them out! The only 257 guy I know at this point is Chris Randall, so it would be nice to "schmooze" so to speak Smile

I appreciate the tips, and I look forward to seeing you and the others at one of these events in the near future! Smile
-Mike Gilbert Smile

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » New to the I.B.M.! (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL