The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Bad News for Anyone Selling Magic ebooks or Downloads (14 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2075 Posts

Profile of yachanin
Hi Saturn UK,

Thanks for the reply. I'll be speaking with my tax guy, but I feel comfortable that I do not fall under this. Once I receive a notice of payment from PayPal, everything comes to a halt until I act... nothing automated about it Smile

Regards, Steve
Saturn UK
View Profile
Inner circle
2386 Posts

Profile of Saturn UK
I think you are most likely right, the ones that are caught are the likes of us that use the Murphy's system to supply downloads to our customers, or suppliers that have their own instant download applications built into their shop.

I would recommend that you should ask and get it in writing that you are not affected by this that way there is no comeback.
Mark Traversoni

www.saturnmagic.co.uk

#theshopwithstock Pleased to be different!

FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/saturnmagic.co.uk
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2075 Posts

Profile of yachanin
Noted (and thanks) Smile

Regards, Steve
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
3616 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Are we talking about about 20% here on an Ebook or download which are peanuts anyway ? Do me a favour its pocket money at the very least as far as I am concerned Smile
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
What does that have to do with anything, Tarik? For someone who is selling hundreds of copies of an eBook or download, the twenty percent is hardly "pocket change."
RedDevil
View Profile
Inner circle
Deep South
1213 Posts

Profile of RedDevil
So...if I am selling books manually by having to attaching and send the PDF myself, then I am excluded from the VAT laws...?

LOL...God bless all politicians...
RedDevil's 5th Book of Close-Up Mentalism is here...
Pre-Order "FAUXLOGICAL" at www.reddevilmentalism.com

F-F-U-L-Ri-F-F-Li-R-U-F-F
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
3616 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Quote:
On Jan 9, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:
What does that have to do with anything, Tarik? For someone who is selling hundreds of copies of an eBook or download, the twenty percent is hardly "pocket change."

Oh ok maybe I have misunderstood thought the purchaser paid 20 % on the download he bought not the seller , I must have got the wrong end of the stick Smile
Saturn UK
View Profile
Inner circle
2386 Posts

Profile of Saturn UK
The issue here for any seller is do they now put 20% on the price of the item or keep the price the same and lose 20%.

For example, people selling their own PDFs for say £30 they might feel that £36 is too much and therefore it would not sell as well.

If they continue to sell at £30 they now make 20% less on every sale.

I doubt most people just selling PDFs will be included in this anyway unless they are automated, but you can see the reasoning.
Mark Traversoni

www.saturnmagic.co.uk

#theshopwithstock Pleased to be different!

FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/saturnmagic.co.uk
reignofsound
View Profile
Inner circle
Glasgow, UK
1554 Posts

Profile of reignofsound
I don't think the majority of people are going to be hunted down for selling pdf files unless it is a substantial amount?
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
3616 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Anyone selling a PDF for £30 is taking the p.ss in my opinion in the first place . If you get a DVD something you can keep in a collection then maybe £30 , but I personally hate the PDF scenario unless they are priced cheap . It's grief filing it all on PC etc then transferring it all when you then change laptop etc I want a product sent to me that I keep in my magic drawer with the rest of the crap lol
The Greek
View Profile
Loyal user
300 Posts

Profile of The Greek
Tarik is confusing the discussion as this is regarding sellers and not purchasers.

I would of thought that anyone that wasn't vat registered would still have their RRP as though they were and benefit from the extra margin. Your price would still be the same as everyone else, so no issue. This is regarding online dealers and not someone selling a personal download. So becoming vat registered due to this law, shouldn't really affect anything apart from the administration involved.
Michael Daniels
View Profile
Inner circle
Isle of Man
1450 Posts

Profile of Michael Daniels
Quote:
On Jan 10, 2015, The Greek wrote:
This is regarding online dealers and not someone selling a personal download.

Sadly this doesn't seem to be the case. Anyone selling a digital product to an EU member is subject to this legislation.

Mike
The Greek
View Profile
Loyal user
300 Posts

Profile of The Greek
I was referring to my comment regarding pricing.
Michael Daniels
View Profile
Inner circle
Isle of Man
1450 Posts

Profile of Michael Daniels
Quote:
On Jan 10, 2015, The Greek wrote:
I was referring to my comment regarding pricing.

Right.

Mike
aalexander
View Profile
Loyal user
227 Posts

Profile of aalexander
In case it helps for smaller sellers, there might be a decent compromise. With some automatic-download services you can set up digital downloads and tangible/physical. The real difference is that one is an automatic download, the other sends the seller an email saying "X ordered a copy of Y" so that you can mail them the thing. You could set up the physical product notification and then email it instead of mail it. You're not telling anyone it's physical; this just allows you to fully automate most sales and then automate the buying/notification of the rest (ie. buyers in the EU). You still have to send it yourself in accordance with the EU rules. I set up a test here, and it has potential.

For me, this means that since I sell about 1/3 of my stuff to EU countries, I would still have 2/3rds done automatically, and I can have a prepared email to send to the others when I get the notification. We'll see how it goes.
RedDevil
View Profile
Inner circle
Deep South
1213 Posts

Profile of RedDevil
So is the consensus that if my process is not automatic for sending PDF's (the person pays via paypal, but has to wait for me to manually send the file) then I should be fine to sell to citizens of the EU?
RedDevil's 5th Book of Close-Up Mentalism is here...
Pre-Order "FAUXLOGICAL" at www.reddevilmentalism.com

F-F-U-L-Ri-F-F-Li-R-U-F-F
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Bad News for Anyone Selling Magic ebooks or Downloads (14 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL