The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » John Bannon - Sizzle (17 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
rmorrell
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of rmorrell
I agree with Liam even in the Elmsley video you can see something is up when he is doing those half-passes, and that is Alex Elmsley doing it! If I did that handling I'm not sure I could handle all those half passes, and the everchange count is a lot less natural and harder than the Bullet Party Display. Several times in that video he has to come over and hold the packet in biddle grip in order to do the half-pass and you get a 'jump' in the packet where you pick up that something is happening, and you still have the turned over card element and you are still having to count the cards as a display, to me it just isn't as open and fair looking and it ends dirty.
Rich Morrell
---
The Magician Blog
professorwho
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of professorwho
Watching dazzle and sizzle one after the other I have to say I prefer sizzle. Not hard to follow at all, well no different anyway. I have the Elmsley lecture set and know how dazzle is done and personally I prefer having packet tricks that are explainable at the end because there are quote a few grabbers out there. Presumably the flush reveal could be an all ace reveal if you wished it to be going by previous Bannon packet tricks using the bullet party display.
Will I get it,i don't know. I use the packet tricks from triabolical a lot and am unlikely to add another to my repertoire but I do think it looks nice.
I love sponges
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Smile
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
pierredan
View Profile
Special user
Dai Vernon's birthplace
533 Posts

Profile of pierredan
I love John Bannon. I have almost all of his effects. I watched the demo and could not follow what the effect was. If I need to watch it a second time to really grasp what is going on, maybe this is not a worker for me. And $27 for one packet trick is not cheap compared to his last fantastic Fractal offerings.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2652 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
I viewed the demo with the sound off (I was in a room with people talking) and this really didn't play for me. As others have said, confusing and I couldn't really tell what was happening, what I'd seen and what I hadn't seen. I'm a Bannon fan, and I love the idea of backs changing colors, but this one isn't for me.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
boinko
View Profile
Elite user
Illinois
414 Posts

Profile of boinko
Bannon's one of the best mechanics out there. But he should go back to basics -- and forget about all these colors and climaxes after climaxes.

Seriously, the best Shakespeare plots are the plots that are easy to understand. There's a reason Lear's the greatest play -- it's got a streamlined plot (among other things).

Bannon needs to think Lear at this point -- and forget about trying to be Christopher Nolan.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
'Much Ado About Nothing' might be more appropriate.
sohaib
View Profile
Special user
San Ramon, CA
577 Posts

Profile of sohaib
The half pass in Dazzle is fishy only to Magicians

It's invisible to Lay People, even more-so if you
move the cards as you do it

Still, it would be nice to eliminate the half passes
and have the Original Routine still intact
Count Lustig
View Profile
Elite user
456 Posts

Profile of Count Lustig
Quote:
On Nov 25, 2014, rmorrell wrote:
I agree with Liam even in the Elmsley video you can see something is up when he is doing those half-passes, and that is Alex Elmsley doing it!...

Okay, you've convinced me; both versions stink--but for different reasons. In the original Elmsley version, it's because you can't do that many half-passes in a trick without the audience realizing that something is going on. That's true even if you do the move well, which Elmsley doesn't. It's particularly bad that the move occurs at exactly the same point in each phase, making it easy for people to detect a pattern.

And then there's the endless repetition in the Elmsley trick. Some magicians complain about the Ambitious Card being repetitious. But with the Ambitious Card, you can introduce some variety. Here it's the same thing again and again and again and again.

Of course, the reasons that the Bannon version stinks have already been pointed out numerous times.
mike donoghue
View Profile
Inner circle
1106 Posts

Profile of mike donoghue
If Alex Elmsley was alive & did dazzle in front of lay people & John Bannon also did his routine on them the audience would be fooled & entertained by both gentlemen. Also, if magicians were watching they would immediately want to BUY BOTH ROUTINES. They don 't know about half passes or ghost counts. I am getting both daze & sizzle . After I hav worked both I post my findings on here. I will be honest. Mike donoghue
Count Lustig
View Profile
Elite user
456 Posts

Profile of Count Lustig
Quote:
On Nov 26, 2014, mike donoghue wrote:
...[Lay people] don 't know about half passes...

They will after seeing you do it seven times.
mike donoghue
View Profile
Inner circle
1106 Posts

Profile of mike donoghue
You would think so but I rather think they will be thinking of how the cards changed. Also if you do the moves how you would normally count cards there should be nothing to see. Never ever had an audience member say'hold on a minute r you going an Elmsley count etc etc. mike donoghue
Count Lustig
View Profile
Elite user
456 Posts

Profile of Count Lustig
Quote:
On Nov 26, 2014, mike donoghue wrote:
You would think so but I rather think they will be thinking of how the cards changed. Also if you do the moves how you would normally count cards there should be nothing to see. Never ever had an audience member say'hold on a minute r you going an Elmsley count etc etc. mike donoghue

I'm not talking about counts. I'm talking about doing a half-pass, seven times in one trick, always at the same point in each phase, immediately before the magic happens.

You say that they'll be "thinking of how the cards changed." I say they'll have a pretty big clue as to how.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
You are wrong, Monsieur le Comte; which is why countless magicians performed Dazzle for several decades, for happy lay audiences.
mike donoghue
View Profile
Inner circle
1106 Posts

Profile of mike donoghue
Well said tomski.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3180 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
I didn't see any half passes on first viewing and I do the half pass. For one thing I was just enjoying the presentation and for another thing at the moment of the half pass he isn't pretending to be doing nothing, he is pretending to "do the trick".
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
2991 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
I missed the half passes too. Obviously something was going on, but I didn't catch that it was half passes - and as MMM said, he's never "pretending to be doing nothing." But at any rate, the cumulative effect of Dazzle is only partly the pretty changes - it's more of a running gag featuring increasingly ridiculous, tongue in cheek reasons why he can't do the trick. Maybe it goes on a just a wee bit long, and could use a kicker, but it's fast and colorful, amusing, and the changes make sense.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
Count Lustig
View Profile
Elite user
456 Posts

Profile of Count Lustig
Quote:
On Nov 26, 2014, MeetMagicMike wrote:
...at the moment of the half pass he isn't pretending to be doing nothing, he is pretending to "do the trick".

If by "pretending to 'do the trick,'" you mean causing the magic to happen, you're mistaken. He makes it clear that it's placing a card reversed in the middle that causes the magic to happen, not that weird thing that you didn't realize was a half-pass.
Count Lustig
View Profile
Elite user
456 Posts

Profile of Count Lustig
Quote:
On Nov 26, 2014, MaxfieldsMagic wrote:
...Obviously something was going on, but I didn't catch that it was half passes...

Oh, well, okay then. Nothing suspicious about that.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » John Bannon - Sizzle (17 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL