The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » John Bannon - Sizzle (17 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
C'mon; this is actually a piece of entertainment! It's not some interminable gambling demonstration ;-)
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Count Lustic typed:

Quote:
If by "pretending to 'do the trick,'" you mean causing the magic to happen...

No, that is not what I meant.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
krowboom
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago area
233 Posts

Profile of krowboom
Wow. What a reaction to this trick. Tell me what you really think of it.
I find Sizzle to be almost identical to Royal Scam which I prefer because to me at least the handling is much easier. I do not like the Bullet count display. Royal scam always gets a great reaction so I am pretty sure Sizzle would also. After watching it a few times I was able to put together the cards and moves since I have several different colored decks thus saving myself $27. There is a discrepency at the end which I noticed and it bothered me. You are shown 6 jokers and 1 Ace at the beginning but wind up showing 4 jokers and a royal flush at the end (9 cards). Does this bother anyone else?
mike donoghue
View Profile
Inner circle
1299 Posts

Profile of mike donoghue
Got this & it's very easy to do.

Alot of visual eye candy(but if you have watched the trailer you know that).

Well produced with excellent sound, picture & teaching by both Liam & John.

Worth the £17.99 asking price. Also, there's a bonus trick on the DVD. It's good & easy to perform.

Similar effects by Bannon, Montier & Gordon are on tyhe market (& I have them) but I will give this ago in paid performances.

PS. I know from considerable experience that this WILL PLAY WELL WITH LAYMEN. In fact it will play well with anyone.

Mike Donoghue
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Royal Scam (which you said you also do) has the same 7 to 9 cards discrepancy. It doesn't bother me at all and flies by because you never say how many cards you're starting with. It _may_ be more likely to get noticed with Sizzle as there's a more visible pattern at the start - 3 Jokers, the Ace, then 3 Jokers, and the main effect is three Jokers placed on the table being used to change a packet of three jokers and an Ace, so even without explicit counting some might notice.

Quote:
On Dec 4, 2014, krowboom wrote:
Wow. What a reaction to this trick. Tell me what you really think of it.
I find Sizzle to be almost identical to Royal Scam which I prefer because to me at least the handling is much easier. I do not like the Bullet count display. Royal scam always gets a great reaction so I am pretty sure Sizzle would also. After watching it a few times I was able to put together the cards and moves since I have several different colored decks thus saving myself $27. There is a discrepency at the end which I noticed and it bothered me. You are shown 6 jokers and 1 Ace at the beginning but wind up showing 4 jokers and a royal flush at the end (9 cards). Does this bother anyone else?
krowboom
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago area
233 Posts

Profile of krowboom
Although Royal Scam has the same descrepancy you are only shown Aces. To me having the Ace shown amoung 6 jokers makes the descrepency noticeable. For those who have performed the trick for audiences does this present a problem?
Darius666
View Profile
Veteran user
London
368 Posts

Profile of Darius666
Audiences never notice stuff like that. Have performed Royal Scan hundreds of times and not had it mentioned once, and trust me, people will say if that catch you on something.

Have done this a few times now and it's not been noticed. The impact of the trick is so strong that they wouldn't. Also I really don't see it as a dicrepancy in this trick. If you have just magically changed the backs and faces, it doesn't seem that unlikely that you magically made an extra card appear to complete your Royal Flush.
robvh
View Profile
Elite user
Calgary, AB
440 Posts

Profile of robvh
I love John Bannon but this trick doesn't do it for me. You display a coloured back, bring it to the back of the packet, and then count two more from the back. So you've clearly shown that front card twice and are thus concealing something. The moves fail the "be natural" test. For me at least.

There seem to be some Dazzle fans here. Maybe one of you can help me (via PM so as not to hijack the thread). I'm a big fan of Razzle Dazzle (being a shorter, punchier version of Dazzle with a very natural handling). I've been wanting to replace my cards with "fresh ones" but Razzle Dazzle isn't sold anymore. Does the Dazzle set of cards contain all the necessary gimmicks to perform Razzle Dazzle?
TheFeds
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of TheFeds
I'm a fan of the thinking and material of both Alex Elmsley and John Bannon. Elmsley had a fun and charming presentation for his effect and in this thread we can see that full presentation by the creator. I think it is important to note that we haven't actually seen John Bannon perform his own trick. We've seen a trailer version performed by someone else. Personally I think the trailer is lacking. More time was put into making the graphics look nice and not as much time was put into making the effect look nice. Which is disappointing as I can see the potential of the effect.
velcrowe
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of velcrowe
All y'all crack me the hell up. Price & feel, certainly relevant concerns, but those acting like John f'in' Bannon, the architect behind Twisted Sisters & Duplicity, doesn't understand the tradeoffs inherent in ending clean vs. cleaner construction are ridiculous. His decades of packet magic construction are basically a doctoral dissertation on the subject itself, and he admits his preference for either in different contexts.

You don't think his riff that ends clean is worth it? More power to you.

You think the demo is boring? Feel free to play with the presentation.

You think it's DOA and terrible magic? You're being a contrarian for the sake of it.
krazykat
View Profile
New user
New Jersey
87 Posts

Profile of krazykat
Bannon has come up with some of the most clever card magic of the past fifty years.

However, he has fallen prey to what Darwin warns about in Designing Miracles: mistaking fulfilling conditions with good magic. This trick is a confusing mess. Preforming it for laymen will only reinforce this conclusion.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Quote:
On Dec 7, 2014, velcrowe wrote:
All y'all crack me the hell up. Price & feel, certainly relevant concerns, but those acting like John f'in' Bannon, the architect behind Twisted Sisters & Duplicity, doesn't understand the tradeoffs inherent in ending clean vs. cleaner construction are ridiculous. His decades of packet magic construction are basically a doctoral dissertation on the subject itself, and he admits his preference for either in different contexts.

You don't think his riff that ends clean is worth it? More power to you.

You think the demo is boring? Feel free to play with the presentation.

You think it's DOA and terrible magic? You're being a contrarian for the sake of it.

Rubbish.

This is pants, plain and simple. All you've done is offer up some sort of beat hagiography. This trick is rubbish, not just in my view but in many other people's view, too.

Less interesting than a prolonged real estate dispute.
velcrowe
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of velcrowe
"...prolonged real estate dispute" quite nicely sums up your trashing of a trick for multiple posts because it's not as good as some others.

But as your investment in making certain there's nothing possible to glean from this trick brings you to use "hagiography" in a sentence, I shall cower in fear, and hopefully find solace in not being able to find the limits of your tireless crusade. Wither, John Bannon! Sizzle has undone you!
mike donoghue
View Profile
Inner circle
1299 Posts

Profile of mike donoghue
The more I go on the Café, the more I realise that a lot of people have never performed routines on anyone but their friends & family.

Also, a lot of people comment about something they don't have & have never given a try.

I have tried this (not as mix & mingle without a table)but at one of my residencys & the reactions from layman were fantastic(not good BUT FANTASTIC). This involves going up to a table full of strangers cold(unlesss they are regulars) and perfoming before the food arives.

I also did a private party at Alwick Castle(where Harry Potter was filmed & part of the Christmas Day Downton Abbey). The party was for the Duke & Dutchess of Northumberland who live in the castle. Again the reactions for Sizzle were fantastic.

I urge people to buy this, learn to do it, think a bit about the presentation and actually do it on lots of different people and then put your findings on here.

It plays really well when I do it & it could for you as well.

Mike Donoghue
mike donoghue
View Profile
Inner circle
1299 Posts

Profile of mike donoghue
The more I go on the Café, the more I realise that a lot of people have never performed routines on anyone but their friends & family.

Also, a lot of people comment about something they don't have & have never given a try.

I have tried this (not as mix & mingle without a table)but at one of my residencys & the reactions from layman were fantastic(not good BUT FANTASTIC). This involves going up to a table full of strangers cold(unlesss they are regulars) and perfoming before the food arives.

I also did a private party at Alwick Castle(where Harry Potter was filmed & part of the Christmas Day Downton Abbey). The party was for the Duke & Dutchess of Northumberland who live in the castle. Again the reactions for Sizzle were fantastic.

I urge people to buy this, learn to do it, think a bit about the presentation and actually do it on lots of different people and then put your findings on here.

It plays really well when I do it & it could for you as well.

Mike Donoghue
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2536 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Watched the demo clip performed by Liam, and I can truthfully say that I never had a bleeding clue what was going on.

It is simply, in my honest opinion, yet another packet trick that is badly structured, confusing, unnaturally 'movey', pointless in it's aim and last but not least with a finale, that British Audiences anyway would be completely blasé about. A Royal Flush in Poker means absolutely zilch for the vast majority of people this side of the pond.

I do like a lot of John Bannon's work. But this appears just a re-hash of some previous plots. And I have to say, a very poor re-hash.

What, in all honesty, is Sizzle adding to previous packet tricks over many, many years - whereby faces change, then the backs change colour?

Sorry........I just don't get the hype. Honestly guys, I really don't. Smile
Barry Allen

Over 14 years have passed - and still missing Abra Magazine arriving every Saturday morning.
Darius666
View Profile
Veteran user
London
368 Posts

Profile of Darius666
As someone who performs Royal Scam almost everyday I have to say you could not be more wrong about the Royal Flush thing. People know exactly what that is and I have never had a poor reaction from producing it.

I think Mike hit the nail on the head here. Lots of people here that simply don't perform in the real world. Been using this loads and it kills.
3ofclubs
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of 3ofclubs
Some people like some things. Some people don't like some things. Does it really matter? 4 pages of matter?

Get over yourselves.
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2536 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Quote:
On Dec 9, 2014, Darius DCLXVI wrote:
I think Mike hit the nail on the head here. Lots of people here that simply don't perform in the real world. Been using this loads and it kills.

Well, I can assure you that I do work 'in the real world'. And I've found that if you want to really impress (not 'kill'........magic tricks really don't 'kill' people) a British audience that knows anything whatsoever about card hands, then producing a Pryle of 3's, as in a three card brag hand, appears much more impressive than a Royal Flush hand any day of the week.

I know this for a fact. I've tried both. In many environments and venues over 30+ years where you'd probably need to be wearing a nappy son.
Barry Allen

Over 14 years have passed - and still missing Abra Magazine arriving every Saturday morning.
Darius666
View Profile
Veteran user
London
368 Posts

Profile of Darius666
Quote:
On Dec 9, 2014, Merc Man wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 9, 2014, Darius DCLXVI wrote:

Well, I can assure you that I do work 'in the real world'. And I've found that if you want to really impress (not 'kill'........magic tricks really don't 'kill' people) a British audience that knows anything whatsoever about card hands, then producing a Pryle of 3's, as in a three card brag hand, appears much more impressive than a Royal Flush hand any day of the week.

I know this for a fact. I've tried both. In many environments and venues over 30+ years where you'd probably need to be wearing a nappy son.

Well Grandad, perhaps your mates down the old folks home, who I'm sure like me wear nappies, know what Pryle of 3s are but the majority of people, you know, all us young whippersnappers know what a Royal Flush is. Perhaps you missed the popluarity of Poker in your most recent coma.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » John Bannon - Sizzle (17 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL