The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » I've got to give this another shot (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
I'm sharing this in case it can help someone else that might be frustrated or discouraged. And because I'm the kind of person that likes encouragement from my friends. I know some of you will share some encouraging words and I look forward to them.

When I lost my restaurant gig a while back I was really discouraged about performing. I decided, after getting a few more rejections, to stop pursuing restaurant magic at all and was really wondering about magic as a whole. Part of me felt like it was a big waste of time. I think this comes from all the hard work and practice I put into it while still working a normal job, raising a family, etc.

So I put everything magic on the back burner. I even stopped practicing for a short while. I couldn't completely give it up though; I LIKE practicing. lol

I got a pm from Kumpltoo that was encouraging, asking me what was going on. Thanks Kumpletoo!

Then I remembered my desire to pursue gospel magic and I began writing my scripts in earnest. I figured that would still be a way to do two things that I love.

I never did quit volunteering with my magic at the children's hospital. I never will that I can see; it's far too rewarding.

Then a funny thing happened- I started getting gigs from the business cards I had handed out months ago at the restaurant.

This was eye opening and... revitalizing? I got my mojo back, so to speak.

Rather than pursue full time magic as hard as I was, I can be content with part-time. Parties, the hospital, gospel magic at local churches...

BUT- I have decided to give restaurants another shot because I just love magic. That's it. Oh, and honestly I could use the extra money for a Lefler table from Showtime Magic. This can be a way to support my other magic pursuits, buy props, etc. I'm hoping to get one gig for 1 or 2 hours on a Saturday night. Before, I was obsessed with going full time, but I'm comfortable with this laid back approach.

Thanks for all your help and kind words over the years. Any prayers would be appreciated!

I'll let you know how it goes.

If you're discouraged with your progress, maybe take a look at things from a different angle.

Sometimes letting go of something brings it back in a better way.

Theodore-

Smile
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
Mike Gilbert
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas, Nevada
376 Posts

Profile of Mike Gilbert
Beautiful post, Theodore! I know how you feel. It's easy to get discouraged! I kind of look at it like relationships. Most of us spend all of our time trying too hard to get what we really want. In that quest we subconciously cut corners and lower our standards as to what we really expect; thus we settle...over and over again. It's not until we decide to let it all go (or maybe it let's US go!) and stop trying, that things just start to happen on their own! The perfect person (or situation) falls into your lap and everything just fits. Sometimes it's not about fighting the urge to give up. Sometimes it's about letting go of the reigns a little bit and letting nature take its course! Best of luck, Theodore! Let us know how it all progresses!
-Mike Gilbert Smile

"Most of us have two lives. The life we live, and the unlived life within us. Between the two stands Resistance."- Steven Pressfield
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Sometimes we need to take a break and get back with it later on.

My best wishes to your success.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
Thanks to you both!
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » I've got to give this another shot (6 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL