The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » The Mysterious Affair by Jim Kleefeld (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2661 Posts

Profile of Mind Guerrilla
Let's peek ahead at the last page of this mystery novel...
"HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!"

The Mysterious Affair is among the best looking, most examinable book tests I've seen. This is a really top notch product. Picture a hardcover book with a professional looking dust jacket (complete with UPC code, back cover review blurbs/author photo, front inner flap with story description, back inner flap with review blurbs/author notes), properly formatted text and illustrations throughout. On top of all this, there is the added strength of the contents being a well known novel by a famous author.

The g*ff is woven seamlessly into the text and is undetectable. There is a clever method for determining what page the spectator is on without asking any questions. The book can even be held out of sight, under the table by the spec. You can start off doing reveals right away or have the spec flip ahead or back any number of pages. Non-illustrated pages have one hit each, illustrated pages have two (one text hit and a hit on the picture itself). Some reveals can be done in the form of a drawing. Theoretically, you can do reveals for up to ten pages (but doing so would be overkill imo). The key words for the hits are very easily remembered. Even so, each book also has a built-in cr**.

The effect is sold as a two-book ($169) or three-book ($225) set. The rationale for multiple books here is the same as that for such effects as Ne Plus Ultra- so that those who do not own other book tests and who wish to offer the spectator a free selection of books may do so. Because I do own other book tests, I only use one of the Mysterious Affair books (It would be nice if a single book purchase option were available for those in the same situation). If you ring in The Mysterious Affair with, say, MOABT (mine has a Mickey Spillane cover on it), a Sherlock Holmes book test, a f*r*ing book and an ungaffed detective novel, you have the makings for a nice mystery-themed presentation.

Do I have any quibbles? Don't I always? Smile The illustrations do not necessarily match the surrounding text and some seem like they would be more at home in a hard-boiled detective novel than in a British drawing room mystery. That's about it, quibblewise. Speaking of hard-boiled detective stories, I'd love to see a sequel to The Mysterious Affair with maybe something by Chandler or Hammett.

On a scale from 1 to 10, I give The Mysterious Affair a 9.5

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
http://www.jimkleefeld.com/JWKbooks.html
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5941 Posts

Profile of george1953
Thanks for the review, I have been thinking about this one. Same as you I have a few book tests and it would be nice if there was a single book option.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2599 Posts

Profile of NeilS
I second - or is it - third this in that it would be good if there was a single book option. Unfortunately one of the titles supplied is not a known Agatha Christie title and, with Agatha Christie books so well known (at least in the UK), is not something I would personally risk.
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
1748 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
Neil:

You could check with Jim Kleefeld to see if you could go with a two book version of the effect, featuring the two better known titles.

George
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3727 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
The Cavendish Poisoning is the plot of Mysterious affair at styles. Does that mean those two books are the same but with different covers?
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2661 Posts

Quote:
On Nov 24, 2014, Sean Giles wrote:
The Cavendish Poisoning is the plot of Mysterious affair at styles. Does that mean those two books are the same but with different covers?

I PMed you.
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3920 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
I am sorely tempted by this one. But I have so many book tests right now...and I'm only using the Mother.

It sounds quite wonderful though.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
Scott Soloff
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
960 Posts

Profile of Scott Soloff
Quote:
On Nov 24, 2014, David Thiel wrote:
I am sorely tempted by this one. But I have so many book tests right now...and I'm only using the Mother.

It sounds quite wonderful though.

David

One cannot own too many book tests!

Best,

Scott
'Curiouser and curiouser."
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3920 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Umm...yes one can. When one has seven and one only ever uses two...counting Luna 1935 for paranormal shows.

Also when one has to explain to Sheree that one needs just one more. Because...well...ithis one just sounds really cool.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2661 Posts

Quote:
On Nov 25, 2014, Scott Soloff wrote:

One cannot own too many book tests!

Collecting them can be addicting. I only got bit by the bug about a year ago. An intervention may soon be necessary. Smile
Sensio
View Profile
Special user
I promise I won't exceed
638 Posts

Profile of Sensio
So bad people like me from non-English speaking countries can't use marvels like this...

Atlas' Train Tracking had a similar issue to me. I tried to replicate it in my language and just burnt my brain. I had to quit!

:-)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » The Mysterious Affair by Jim Kleefeld (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.34 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL