The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Uggghhhh...balloon animals.... (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
echomagic
View Profile
Veteran user
344 Posts

Profile of echomagic
Regarding balloons being a hazard, please get insurance. It gives you peace of mind. Compared to malpractice insurance, it is really inexpensive.

Most Magicians that I know do what is necessary to make a living. Most restaurants in the Northeast consider it a bonus when balloons and magic are both offered when tablehopping. I actually make more money making balloons than doing magic ( maybe that says something about my magic ).

Ultimately, do what is right for you, but, think about what may be best for you to earn a living.

All things being equal, who would have a better chance of landing the gig, the Magician who does only magic or the Magician also makes up balloon animals or offers something else besides magic ( psychic reading, perhaps )?
Nem
View Profile
New user
Florida
58 Posts

Profile of Nem
[quote]On Dec 17, 2001, Dave Lewis wrote:
I’ve worked in restaurants doing nothing BUT balloons and zero magic. I’ve worked in restaurants doing all magic and no balloons. I’ve also worked in restaurants where I did both. If tips are what you crave, balloons win hands down -- PERIOD!

True enough. If your working around children though, save the balloons for last if your doing magic too. Otherwise you will deal with noise and distraction.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19626 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
9 year old thread. Interesting.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Nem
View Profile
New user
Florida
58 Posts

Profile of Nem
How so?
I think if someone reads something on the Café and has thoughts, they should post. Guess that's not the way everyone thinks it should be. I personally don't care how old a thread is.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1058 Posts

Profile of imgic
[quote]On Apr 13, 2019, Nem wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 17, 2001, Dave Lewis wrote:
If tips are what you crave, balloons win hands down -- PERIOD! .

I imagine this is partly due to “the law of reciprocity.” If you give somebody so theming, they have an almost instinctive need to give you something in return. Studies have shown that servers who give a mint with the bill receive larger tips than those who do not. Giving a balloon sparks That need, more so than making sponges balls Hop around. Additionall if your giving. Balloons to the kids, you’re playing on maternal and paternal instincts as well.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2839 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
[quote]On Apr 14, 2019, imgic wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 13, 2019, Nem wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 17, 2001, Dave Lewis wrote:
If tips are what you crave, balloons win hands down -- PERIOD! .

I imagine this is partly due to “the law of reciprocity.” If you give somebody so theming, they have an almost instinctive need to give you something in return. Studies have shown that servers who give a mint with the bill receive larger tips than those who do not. Giving a balloon sparks That need, more so than making sponges balls Hop around. Additionall if your giving. Balloons to the kids, you’re playing on maternal and paternal instincts as well.

Don't totally agree with the reciprocity scenario here. I buy mini wands and give to children so they can become actively involved. I also give away Magician Assistant stickers as a reward for them making the magic happen. Regarding tips (I don't solicit tips) it depends on the parents. Some do tip, others don't for whatever reason. My goal as a restaurant worker is to provide a fun experience. Period. Providing give-aways may elicit tips, but that hasn't been my experience as a rule.

My own study after many years regarding tips is that it depends on the personality and nature of the person. Some well to do people don't tip while others who you'd think wouldn't, tip generously.
Also people don't know if they should or if it is allowed etc. I know this isn't a thread on tipping, rather on balloon animals, but it does equate to a degree.
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Uggghhhh...balloon animals.... (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL