The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mentalism .. What is it? (15 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
No. Geller didn't have a stage show. Yes, he appeared in theaters such as the Town Hall in New York, in a lecture style format. Much like famous authors and political figures have done.

Geller did not present himself as an entertainer. Derren Brown always did, so I thought the attacks on him were out of line and not justified at all.

All I've ever claimed is that I'm a mind reader. I HAVE had notable skeptics show up at some performances with the intent of "exposing" me. But by the time the show was over, they'd such a good time they either left me alone or went out drinking with me. Smile
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3403 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
I'm not quite following your logic, Bob. Geller had a stage show from 1969 in Israel. He appeared in conventional theatres and nightclubs and had an act which he repeated from performance to performance. He continued using this act when he arrived in the US and the UK.

From the details contained in Marks and Kammann's 'Psychology of the Psychic', his show wouldn't look that different to a modern audience from a conventional mentalism show; opening with guessing basic colours being transmitted by a spectator, then a drawing duplication, then a spectator as mind-reader effect, then a blindfold psychometry routine. After the interval he performed an effect similar to psychokinetic time, followed by starting watches and ending with his signature key and spoon bending.

But of course, he did not explicitly present himself as an entertainer, and he called what he was doing demonstrations. That was his whole angle, and that is my point. By claiming to have real paranormal powers he attracted sceptics, right from his early days in Israel.

But in fact, even Geller has spoken of his early days in Israel being his first steps in "show business" and "entertainment".

I still think 'No Claim, No Blame' is the safest option!
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17675 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On Dec 3, 2014, IAIN wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 3, 2014, Martin Pulman wrote:
If he hadn't claimed to be genuine Randi wouldn't have looked at him twice.

weeeeeeeell....i dunno about that...

ROTFLM@O...Funniest thing all week.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Martin-

Clearly, I'm referring to what Geller did AFTER he arrived in the United States and attained world wide fame as a psychic, not his earlier career as an unknown.

When the Beatles arrived in the US, they didn't go the SRI to be tested. And when Uri arrived, he didn't appear on the Ed Sullivan Show.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mentalism .. What is it? (15 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL